Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Seattle to San Juan Island--No ferry service after Summer season??

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 10:38 AM
BonBon

We would like to take an extended weekend trip to the San Juan Islands late Sept., flying into Seattle, but it appears ferry service ends after mid Sept. Is my only option a sea plane? How expensive would that be? What other choices do we have with such limited time?

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 10:41 AM
Dick

Not sure if your information is correct. Suggest you find the WA DOT web site and check schedules. There are a lot of people who live in the San Juans who would be terribly upset without ferry service! Dick

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 10:46 AM
x

Well if there are people living there how would they get back and forth? Try this web site:http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 10:47 AM
John

There's plenty of ferry service. I think the Victoria Clipper stops in the fall, but that's irrelevant.http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/index.cfm

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 10:54 AM
sn

Try West Isle Air--not a seaplane and pretty cheap. Flights into Boeing Field and then van service to SEATAC.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 03:10 PM
BonBon

Well, now that I've done a little more searching, here's my dilemma....

Seaplane will cost about $300/RT for two. That's nearly as much as airfare!

Ferry service is out of Anacortes to San Juan and will require a car rental, plus several hours added time to drive/take the ferry.

Since we would arrive Fri. morning and return Sunday eve., should we just consider other islands accessible from Seattle? Or does anyone have other suggestions to consider?

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 03:44 PM
John

No, you're correct. The fact that it's hard to get to the San Juans quickly is one of the appeals of the place, otherwise the islands would be overwhelmed by day-trippers.

There are some B&Bs on Vashon Island (ferry direct from West Seattle) and Vashon is lovely in late September. Whidbey Island is also attractive, and from there you can visit Port Townsend on the Olympic Peninsula via the cute Keystone ferry.

You will need a car for virtually any destination outside downtown Seattle, however.

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 12:51 AM
Sally

If you don't want to rent a car to get to Anacortes for the ferry you can take the Airport Shuttler which is a van that goes right to the ferry landing from SEATAC and Seattle hotels.