Search

Unicorn Request, something similar to Provo

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2023, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unicorn Request, something similar to Provo

Friends,

My parents like to go to the Caribbean for about six weeks in the winter. The first time they did this, they got a condo on Grace Bay in Provo in the Turks and Caicos and loved it. Calm waters, a great golf course, wonderful restaurants, and a very walkable town and beach were perfect for them. They wanted to try something different this year, so even though we'd already been to St. Martin, they did Grand Case. They had a great airbnb right on the water at the end of the main drag, and loved it. Calm waters and a very walkable town, but no golf and the beach was also not very walkable. Even so, they're considering going back next year, and may split their time between Anguilla and Grand Case. However, I'd love to hear recommendations for anything similar that has as many of the qualities they're looking for. Open to places we've already been, as long as it's walkable (town and beach), has great food, calm water, and golf. Thanks!
Old Feb 13th, 2023, 11:23 PM

Provo, in particular Grace Bay is very American in style so that will be hard to find elsewhere.

Anguilla has no towns to speak of but you can walk along Meads Bay and stop at various bars, hotels & restaurants. A rental car is a good idea.

Reduit Beach in St Lucia
Anywhere on the west coast of Barbados
7MB Negril Jamaica
7MB Grand Cayman, will give you the US feel
Antigua has many beaches you can walk on but not close to towns, look at Dickenson Beach
Aruba-Eagle & Palm beach
Lots of places on the other French islands such as Guadeloupe (check Ste Anne and around there)
to name a few

Old Feb 23rd, 2023, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by balthy
Provo, in particular Grace Bay is very American in style so that will be hard to find elsewhere.

7MB Grand Cayman, will give you the US feel
I'm curious what you mean by an American feel/style. We've stayed at the ritz in GC, and while the beach is very walkable and wide, like in Provo, there isn't really any town to speak of. Lots of wonderful restaurants though.

I thought about Barbados. We've stayed at The Crane, but we've been to the west side for dinner, polo, etc. Still not very walkable on the beach. It does look like there are some fairly walkable small towns though. I've stayed at the Divi in Aruba on Eagle, and been to dinner and to meet a sailboat at Palm beach. Aruba has all those mega hotels and kind of a Cancun vibe to me. It does tick a lot of the boxes though.
Old Feb 24th, 2023, 01:15 PM

Why is Barbados not very walkable on the beach? Whats wrong with the small towns along that coast? Holetown for instance.

https://greatruns.com/barbados-west-coast-boardwalk/

A US feel means just that, it feels like part of the US, whether that is the style of the buildings, eg the hotels or restaurants or the style of service or the currency or the majority of the visitors or the amenities geared towards Americans. If someone said there was a British feel, I would get what that means, or a French feel, because everything around you is in French or there are patisseries or French supermarkets.

GC does have a town, George Town which you can walk around and there is Camana Bay where there are lots of restaurants. You can walk to George Town easily from 7MB.

What about some of the other French islands eg Guadeloupe?

Old Mar 29th, 2023, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by balthy
Why is Barbados not very walkable on the beach? Whats wrong with the small towns along that coast? Holetown for instance.

A US feel means just that, it feels like part of the US, whether that is the style of the buildings, eg the hotels or restaurants or the style of service or the currency or the majority of the visitors or the amenities geared towards Americans. If someone said there was a British feel, I would get what that means, or a French feel, because everything around you is in French or there are patisseries or French supermarkets.

GC does have a town, George Town which you can walk around and there is Camana Bay where there are lots of restaurants. You can walk to George Town easily from 7MB.

What about some of the other French islands eg Guadeloupe?
By walkable beaches, I mean long stretches of wide beach with places one might want to stop along the way (shops, restaurants, etc.).

The boardwalk in Barbados does look interesting though, I'll keep that in mind.