Day trips from Avignon, France

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2023, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will have a rental car in Avignon from March 24-April 5 and are looking for suggested day trips.
Thank you!
Old Jan 14th, 2023, 08:22 PM

Bonjour Kath,
You'll be spoiled for choice, so very many possibilities.
Close to home, you'll have Villeneuve-les-Avignon and its wonderful twin attractions.
The Roman Pont-du-Gard will also be within easy reach. Our fave remains Uzes, especially worth it on both of its weekly market days. Lourmarin's market is another fave of ours.
Incidentally, a great wining-dining experience there could be to try Cavaillon melon (hands down the world's best), diced with some Muscat Beaumes de-Venise poured atop. Ambrosia!

At this point, I'll pass the baton onto other posters who no doubt will have their own worthy opinions on this matter.
Bon Chance!
I am done. the south
Old Jan 14th, 2023, 09:05 PM

E-mail me at my Fodors name at AOL and I will reply with my 35 page itinerary that I've sent to over 3,000 people on Fodors.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 15th, 2023, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Merci! Thank you for your prompt response and useful information. Uzes is now on our list. As is the melon you described.
Old Jan 15th, 2023, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the information you sent. I appreciate the work (and fun) put into researching and organizing all the tips and detailed travel suggestions. Since Avignon is our base, we may decide to rent a car for fewer days and use public transportation instead.
I think you are living my husband’s retirement dream! The start of COVID curtailed our retirement travel but we are hoping to make up for lost time now.
Sending thanks from NH.