Need help on where to stay from JAX, St. Augustine and Cocoa Beach

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2022, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm traveling with my husband and two children (7,9) to FLA in April. We land in JAX and have 3 nights before we head to Orlando to meet family in Disney. We want to see St. Augustine and visit Kennedy Space Center. I've been researching and I can't tell the following:

- Stay in St. Augustine historic district or on the beach - family wants to see the old town and historic stuff, but we also enjoy pool / beach.
- For Kennedy Space Center, should we stay in Cocoa Beach? Looking for a place with good restaurants but not overly touristy if possible.

A clean, well-maintained hotel is more important than brand loyalty. Typically looking for a 3-star hotel, but willing to go up or down if a place is good. Walking to places is a plus, but not necessary as we will have a car. My husband has a chronic illness so I anticipate having quite a bit of downtime at the hotel, so don't want anything dank or dingy.

Thanks for your help!
Old Oct 26th, 2022, 06:19 PM

Hi jmilk—

If in St. Augustine, I would choose to stay in the historic part over the beach area as the former is to my mind is where the uniqueness and visitor appeal lies, especially if you’re considering a beach locale later (you mention Cocoa Beach). I visited St. Augustine Beach once and it was a pleasant day’s outing from the historic part, however I was glad to be situated near Flagler College as there’s so much to enjoy within easy walking distance—including historic homes (such as Napoleon’s nephew Prince Murat’s) that tell about the unique quite different history from the rest of the US, the lively pedestrian-only energy of St. George Street and the great views by the majestic Castillo San Marcos. If seeking a bit of historic romance, you may want to consider an inn rather than a chain hotel there as I felt that added to the charm—I’ve stayed at the Penny Farthing Inn and had a truly magical time; there are others centrally located that are well recommended. I’ve not travelled there with the 7-9 age range, but think the historic center would appeal to kids (I remember the tour of the antique unique musical boxes at the Flagler had some children who were enthralled, as was I!).

Best wishes. Daniel

Last edited by Daniel_Williams; Oct 26th, 2022 at 06:26 PM.
Old Oct 27th, 2022, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the great suggestions

Thanks for the great suggestions!!
Originally Posted by jmilk
I'm traveling with my husband and two children (7,9) to FLA in April. We land in JAX and have 3 nights before we head to Orlando to meet family in Disney. We want to see St. Augustine and visit Kennedy Space Center. I've been researching and I can't tell the following:

- Stay in St. Augustine historic district or on the beach - family wants to see the old town and historic stuff, but we also enjoy pool / beach.
- For Kennedy Space Center, should we stay in Cocoa Beach? Looking for a place with good restaurants but not overly touristy if possible.

A clean, well-maintained hotel is more important than brand loyalty. Typically looking for a 3-star hotel, but willing to go up or down if a place is good. Walking to places is a plus, but not necessary as we will have a car. My husband has a chronic illness so I anticipate having quite a bit of downtime at the hotel, so don't want anything dank or dingy.

Thanks for your help!
Old Oct 27th, 2022, 06:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Augustine has a hop on hop off trolley that will take you to most of the sites. You can choose where to get off and then get on again when you are finished with that area.
Old Oct 28th, 2022, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Awesome, thank you for letting me know!