Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Cocoa Beach - Cocoa Florida - what to do, see?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mother decided to move to Florida... and well, one must visit mom... what is there to do, see and eat in or near Cocoa, Florida?

I'm 30 something and like the water... but I am very afraid of alligators... so lakes -- ok...

I like secret hide-away restaurants, restaurants or places where you can hear waves and watch water or sunsets...

Shopping (Trendy, boutique, or mom and pop shops with charm)

Thanks for your assist!

Cocoa here I come...

Old Aug 16th, 2008, 09:34 PM

Well the biggest thing to see is Kennedy Space Center. They have tours to go on and you might even get a glimpse of a shuttle being built.

There should be lots of great little restaurants right on the beach. When you get there look for those tourist magazines. They will have a ton of information.

Alligators are fresh water so yes stay out of the lakes. But in Florida, your never to far from the beach. Go to the beach. you will have the time of your life.

Plus remember that there is the third second largest cruise terminal right there in coco beach. Port Canaveral. So why not hop on a three or four day cruise.

And Disney is only an hour away.
Old Aug 17th, 2008, 05:26 AM

Coconuts is in Cocoa Beach and right on the water. We have enjoyed lunch outside overlooking the beach....great burgers and coconut shrimp, and lots of salad and sandwich type options too.
Old Aug 17th, 2008, 06:30 AM
nlg

Jack Baker's Lobster Shanty is great-it is on the river. It is a wonderful place to watch the sunset.
Old Aug 17th, 2008, 06:55 AM

Amandaamanda, is she going to be in Cocoa Beach or Cocoa? Cocoa Beach is on a barrier island between the Banana River and the ocean, Cocoa is on the mainland on the Indian River. Plenty of water everywhere!

Secret hide-away restaurants? Try Murdochs in Cocoa Village. Cocoa Village is the original part of Cocoa, near the river. Lots of shopping and good restaurants. In Cocoa Beach, the downtown area (around A1A and Minutemen Causeway) has the aforementioned Coconuts which is - other than the Cocoa Beach Pier, where I don't care for the food - about one of the few places right on the beach where you can relax with drink and a good burger. Also in that area: Roberto's, Simply Delicious, and Juice n Java (for good coffee).

I'm going to beat OrlandoVic to the Lone Cabbage recommendation ;-) Lone Cabbage is on State Road 520 at the St. John's river - a great place to grab a beer and relax. The hush puppies there are to die for - they are the ultimate in unhealthy food, but oh, so good.

Unfortunately, trendy is something you don't find in this part of Florida (to the dismay of many of us who live here, we have to go to Orlando for anything resembling trendy shopping).

Other things to do include the Brevard Zoo off I-95 in the Viera area.

Welcome!

Old Aug 20th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the wonderful advice on Cocoa... because mom is here, I am going to visit her (somewhat, often) and I will def. check out each place recommended.

Thanks again,
Amanda