Search

Train travel

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2022, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Train travel

I am interested in traveling by train from Chicago to Texas.
Old Feb 12th, 2022, 03:04 PM
Forum Moderator

Moved from Air Travel forum to the United States forum
Old Feb 12th, 2022, 03:19 PM

Hi,

I have taken the train from Chicago to Texas a few times. The Texas Eagle is the name of the Amtrak train that does this route. I would recommend a roomette for sleeping comfort for that distance, although it’s not inexpensive, since the train leaves Chicago in the afternoon, only arriving in Dallas and Fort Worth mid-day the next day (and Austin and San Antonio not until night the next day).

Best wishes

Daniel Williams
Old Feb 12th, 2022, 03:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You want Amtrak's Texas Eagle.

Everything you need to know about train travel in the US (although mostly east-west not north-south): https://www.seat61.com/UnitedStates.htm

Amtrak info on the Texas Eagle: https://www.amtrak.com/texas-eagle-train

Amtrak's home page, with link to schedules: https://www.amtrak.com/home.html
Old Feb 13th, 2022, 06:43 AM

Hi Suzyque, I took Amtrak's Auto train from the D.C. area to Florida and want to second Daniel's roommette suggestion above. If it's in your budget, even consider a bedroom for more space.
Old Feb 13th, 2022, 06:55 AM

For one person a roomette is fine, I would think it would be a bit tight for two.
Old Feb 13th, 2022, 07:34 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by thursdaysd
For one person a roomette is fine, I would think it would be a bit tight for two.
As someone who rode the California Zephyr from Winnemucca NV to Chicago in a Roomette with my wife, I can tell you that sleeping in the upper bunk is much more comfortable than sleeping in a coach seat. Sleeping in a coach seat is rather uncomfortable if you have someone else assigned to the seat next to you. The most comfortable overnight coach seating is in Business Class on the Lake Shore Limited from Chicago to Rochester NY.
Business Class often has 2+1 seating. When traveling solo I sit/sleep in the single seat side.
The other advantage now for Roomettes is that when the door is closed, you do not have to wear a mask. The sleeping car attendant will take your order bring you food from the dining car. (Please tip).
Old Feb 13th, 2022, 08:04 AM

@tomfuller - I was in no way advocating for a coach seat!!! Why would you read my comment that way??? I was agreeing with TDudette that for a couple with the money a bedroom would be preferable to a roomette.