Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Italy train travel - Has anyone ever used an Eurail Kilometric Train Pass?

Apr 9th, 2003, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

A friend who studied abroad in Italy a few years ago told us about an Eurail Pass, known in Italy as a Biglietto Kilometrico. This plan allows you to cover 3000 Km within a 60-day timespan. The price seems cheaper than purchasing individual tickets for the 3 legs we'd need for our May trip: Venice to Florence, Florence to Naples, and Naples to Rome. These 3 trips would come in way under the 3000km limit.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of train pass? We want to make sure there are no "hidden" catches with it.
Apr 9th, 2003, 12:46 PM

Don't do this. It's not worth it, and I don't think it is even valid anymore. These kind of passes, in Italy, are only good if you are going back and forth, for example between Florence and Rome three or four times a week during the year.

This is the last thing you should concentrate on your trip. You already identified it: your itinerary comes in way below the limit to make it worth your while. Plus the prices are relatively cheap to begin with.
Apr 9th, 2003, 12:47 PM
ira

Hi,
I believe that this pass is no longer offered.

There are many posts about it if you do a search. The consensus was that it wasn't worth the money because of the xtra fees for ES*.

Most posters here say not to bother with a pass at all.

Check with www.railsaver.com to see if you really need a pass.
Apr 9th, 2003, 12:53 PM

I didn't travel anywhere near as far as you are going to, but I found my individual pass (ticket said something like 200km round trip) was really inexpensive. I paid like 7Euros roundtrip.
Apr 9th, 2003, 01:14 PM

These are discontinued. Point to point is usually cheap.
Apr 9th, 2003, 02:04 PM
GAC

I suspect the reason that this was discontinued is that it required too much processing time by ticket window personnel (to calculate the kilometers used for each trip and the amount of any supplement). In the "old days" it was OK to spend this amount of time per transaction, but no longer.