Cape Cod family vacation Memorial Day 4 nights

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2021, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are hoping to plan a family vacation for a long weekend (4 days) over Memorial Day weekend
we are 6 adults and 1 child near 2 years old. One couple will be flying into Boston. I’m not sure if a house would be a better idea since we have the toddler. But another idea is a a bit of a splurge idea. Can anyone recommend Family friendly resort that would also include a private residence with a kitchen? I’ve heard of resorts in Europe that’s have small houses on the property but you also have access to the main amenities as well. I think Gurneys in Montauk has this but we want to visit cape cod for multiple reasons.
Also, I know the Cape is long and we don’t have that much time, so it’s probably not a good idea to go all the way to Provincetown
Thank you for any suggestions you might have
Old Dec 27th, 2021, 05:43 AM

First - Cape Cod isn't really all that "long". You can drive from one end to the other (say fromBourne to Provincetown in about 1 hour and 20 minutes as it's only about 65 miles in distance. In fact, you can circumvent the entire island in about 4 hours. So, for instance, if you stay somewhere mid-island you'd less than an hour's drive to just about anywhere.

Ocean Edge Resort & Golf Club in Brewster (on the north shore) is a full service resort with multi-bedroom cottages you can rent so it has exactly what you are seeking. It's not inexpensive, think in terms of $1,000+/night for a 3 BR cottage with beach access.
Old Dec 28th, 2021, 10:58 AM

The above suggestion is a good one if you want to splurge. There aren't many places like that on the Cape. You can also consider renting a house. Although most rentals are Saturday to Saturday, they might be more flexible that early in the season. Look at weneedavacation.com - hundreds of rentals of all sizes all over the Cape. As for getting around, true the Cape is about 65 miles end to end, but memorial day weekend will certainly have its share of traffic.
Old Dec 29th, 2021, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

I’ve discussed with my family and decided that renting a house us the best idea. I did find a beautiful house in harwich port. Which is 12 mins from Chatam. I’m trying to decide between this and a house closer to Chatam. Does anyone have any thoughts on these locations? We would like to be near restaurants and a place for bike rentals and last a beach fir our toddler. Thanks for any help
Old Dec 29th, 2021, 02:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lighthouse Inn in Dennisport has some two bedroom cottages, I think they have one that sleeps 8 but I don't know what the bed configurations are.
Old Dec 30th, 2021, 06:57 AM

I really prefer further out the Cape, near Provincetown and Truro. Being near The National Seashore and Provincetown offers many more typical Cape things to
do and has the true vibe of Cape Cod.
Old Dec 30th, 2021, 05:08 PM

Harwichport is beautiful! Our daughter and her husband rented a house there last summer, and we spent a few nights with them. We were within walking distance of a lovely beach. I forgot the name.

However, my favorite part of the cape is closer to the National Seashore as SusieQQ suggests. Wellfleet is beautiful with some nice restaurants and beaches and art galleries. We love The Bookstore Restaurant across from Mayo Beach. Eastham and Truro are also lovely with some great beaches on the ocean side (cold water, huge waves, spectacular scenery) or the bay side (warmer water and hardly any waves) which would be perfect for a toddler. There are also nice walking trails and bike trails. Pick up some brochures at the visitor centers. There is one conveniently located on Route 6.
Old Jan 5th, 2022, 06:41 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I prefer Harwichport, Brewster, Dennis, East Orleans to outer Cape.. I worked in Eastham as a kid, summer job. It was fun going out to Provincetown back then.