Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Honeymoon Road trip suggestions from NJ to Maine?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2021, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
My now husband & I had to postpone our wedding celebration & honeymoon in Aug 2020, due to the pandemic. We originally planned on going to Banff Canada, but with the borders still closed, I’m not sure how possible it will be this summer to try our honeymoon again there this upcoming August.

We are looking to possibly plan an alternative honeymoon road trip from Central NJ To Maine. In mid August. We are looking for picturesque scenery & fun interesting things to do along the way. We aren’t big on hiking though. I’m also kinda a foodie, so so any good places to eat would be a plus. We are also willing to spend a little extra on lodging since it is our honeymoon. We are thinking of possibly stopping in Boston & Vermont either coming or returning, since neither of us have been. If you have any recommendations for any of these categories it’s be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Holly

Last edited by hollyr0864; Mar 6th, 2021 at 11:04 AM.
Old Mar 6th, 2021, 11:49 AM

If tourism can be part of your honeymoon trip, stop my Mystic:

https://flic.kr/p/7vAR3S
and Old Sturbridge Village

https://flic.kr/p/2hJnLKx
Old Mar 6th, 2021, 01:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Consider heading north along the Hudson River valley before heading east toward Boston. There is the Storm King outdoor sculpture park, the CIA (no, not that one, the Culinary Institute of America), nice food and B&B's in the Red Hook and Rhinebeck area, recreation in the Lake George area, and horse racing at Saratoga Springs. Come to think of it, you could continue to the Finger Lakes and/or Niagara Falls and skip Boston. If you want history, there is West Point, Kykuit (Rockefeller estate), Hyde Park (FDR), Olana (Frederick Church, artist), and a bunch of historic houses.

Last edited by AJPeabody; Mar 6th, 2021 at 01:11 PM. Reason: more places
Old Mar 6th, 2021, 02:39 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Good suggestions above. Consider taking an Amtrak Northeast Regional to Boston South Station. Spend some time in Boston and then rent a car to go to Maine or Vermont. Amtrak also has a stop in Mystic CT.
If you really wanted to see the North American Rockies, fly or take the train to Denver and go from there staying in the US. Parts of the US Rockies are just as beautiful as the Canadian Rockies (been to both).
Old Mar 7th, 2021, 01:14 AM

If food tours start up again, they are great fun. One of most recent was Saratoga Springs should you go the route suggested earlier. Have enjoyed three different food tours in Boston which include some history, too. Providence RI is very good, too. Stopping a farmers markets can be fun even if you only get some fresh pastries but some also have great prepared food. Brunswick ME is a favorite. If you stayed in that area there are lobster shacks out in the Harpswell area to the east. The next town north is Bath which has a Maritime Museum that has offered boat trips to see lighthouses. You don't have to be hikers to go to the top of a mountain for a splendid view, take the auto road up Mt Battie in Camden or Acadia's Cadillac.
We've been staying in air b and b's. Others can give you suggestions on hotels and resorts. Portland ME has lots of wonderful restaurants but we prefer further north lobster shacks.
Old Mar 21st, 2021, 04:41 PM

How long is your trip? That obviously makes a huge difference in how much you can see.

But basically you should plan a "loop". Cut across the bottom of Connecticut, possibly stopping in Mystic Seaport. But first main destination I would do is Newport RI - also providence. Then up to Boston. (In August you should skip the Cape, I hear it's already mostly booked for summer). Then up the Maine Coast. How far you go will depend on how much time. Acadia is wonderful but it takes a while to go that far and the area from York as far as Camden/Rockport is great. Then cut over through NH to Vt and then back down to NJ either through the Berkshires of Massachusetts and Litchfield Hills of Connecticut or Hudson Valley. I hope you have at least two weeks for this.
Old Mar 22nd, 2021, 12:10 PM

If you do a loop and have a ride through eastern CT and RI, you could stay at the Ocean House Hotel in Watch Hill, RI. It is in a lovely location and was rebuilt a few years ago but still has the look of the early 1900s. It is a short ride from there to Mystic, CT and you could swing by Newport or take a ferry to Block Island or Martha’s Vineyard.

If you have never been to the east end of Long Island, you could check out the Hamptons then take the ferry from Orient Point to New London, CT and miss the drive on 95 one way or the other.