Worth visiting Glion?

Search

Worth visiting Glion?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2018, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Worth visiting Glion?

My wife and I will have a couple of days in Montreux next week. My mother just reminded me that about 50 years ago, when she was just out of college, she and my uncle worked as counselors at a summer camp in Glion, the International Ranger Camp. She told me there is a funicular that goes up to Glion and it is a charming little village with a castle and suggested we go. I don't see much about Glion in the guidebooks though and I'm questioning whether it's really worth visiting. Has anyone on this forum been there? Any thoughts on whether it is worth the trip?
Old Jun 21st, 2018, 10:45 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Have you looked at the photos and youtube videos? It looks pretty sweet!

(just google search the words "funicular at glion switzerland" or "Territet-Glion funicular" ... loads of images online.
Old Jun 21st, 2018, 05:05 PM
kja

I spent a very pleasant hour or two in Glion and was glad I did! It was convenient for me, as I had been at Rochers-de-Naye -- I got off at Glion and later took the funicular to the lake, and walked from there to the Chateau de Chillon. My favorite part of Glion was a little cliff-side church with a covered terrace that offered stunning views out over Lake Geneva.
Old Jun 21st, 2018, 08:34 PM

Hi bendivertx,

Yes, I would say Glion is well worth taking some time & effort to see. I've stayed up there at the Hotel Victoria a few times, and I usually visit at least once during my stays in Montreux.

Yes, there is a sweet little village up there, but I don't remember any castle.... unless she means what is now the Glion Institute of Higher Education, a hospitality (hotel or hotel management) school. Two of my favorite restaurants are in Glion. The first is Le Jaman, which actually has two seating areas -- a full-on, white-tablecloth restaurant, and a "pinte" or rustic pub. I've eaten in both several times, and the pinte wins with a very slight margin because you are dining among locals and workers. And their fondue may be the best I've had in a restaurant (but doubt they'll be serving fondue in June). The other favorite restaurant is the one at the Hotel Victoria, where I stayed. The food is good, and the restaurant terrace overlooks the lake and into France, with spectacular views. The hotel is part of the Relais & Chateaux group, which assures a fine dining experience.

Even if you decide not to eat in Glion, you may want to head up there just to watch the sunset from the terrace over the lake. Maybe with an aperitif in hand??

You can get there two ways. One is, yes, the funicular, which is free with the Riviera Card your hosts will give you. It runs every 15 minutes and takes about 3 minutes to ascend. It's a pretty view. You can find the funicular behind the Anglican Church -- just walk or take the bus to the "Territet Gare" stop, cross the street, and you'll see the church. Go behind it, and you'll see the funicular. But I usually walk up. Walk to the old town and past the Eglise St Vincent with, yes, very nice views over the lake. Continue walking uphill on the Sentier du Telegraph until you reach Glion. It takes about 45 minutes of not-really-pleasant uphill, including some steps, but it's a nice excursion. The only down side is that often I walk into the restaurant out of breath and ... "glowing".....

Anyway, hope you make it there, and let us know if you enjoyed it!

Have fun as you plan!

s

Last edited by swandav2000; Jun 21st, 2018 at 08:37 PM.
Old Jun 21st, 2018, 09:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like it is worth a few hours to check it out, maybe for a sunset. I'm usually a big planner but on this trip all I've got booked are hotels with no plans in between. Figured we'd play it by ear for once so glad to have some suggestions.
Old Jun 21st, 2018, 09:49 PM

Hi again,

It just dawned on me that you say you'll be there *next* week. Did you know that the internationally famous Monreux Jazz Fest starts next week, on Friday 29 June? Did you plan your visit purposely to coincide with the Fest? If not, be prepared for huge crowds and lots of security. You say you already have your hotel reserved, so that's a good thing!

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Aug 29th, 2023, 05:24 PM

I attended the International Ranger Camp in my youth. I’m interested in connecting with people who were there like your aunt and uncle to find out what happened to the place and share memories. Can you pass this along?