Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Grub & Pub musts along the Wild Atlantic Way?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2018, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are foodies! Our trips consist of golf (for my husband), photography (for me) and food & drink everywhere along the way!! We plan our driving routes not only for scenery... but around food fare we want to try. ...and when our days go from driving to walking, we love to stop for a good pint or dram here and there.

We are headed to Ireland (3rd time) in August for the next leg in my husband's Mecca golf course journey! We will be staying 2 nights in Newcastle, 1 night in Malin Head, 2 nights in Ardara, 2 nights in Rossnowlagh, 1 in Strandhill and the last 2 days of the journey in Dublin for the last course and to fly on back home.

We LOVE seafood, soups, brown bread - heck we love it all! We just did this in scotland last year and are ready to explore and taste more of Ireland!!

We would love to hear any recommendations of foods that we really should try, pubs we should visit and actually any sites as we drive our way across the north of Ireland. We do prefer places off the beaten trail, the ones that maybe aren't as known (which is why its always hard to find them online) and we are not afraid to try new things!

Thank you for your time and we greatly thank your for sharing your experiences with us!!
Old Mar 24th, 2018, 08:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You could catch the local train out to kingsitric.ie - for fish to die for from Dublin
Old Mar 24th, 2018, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Thank you!! I just looked them up and made a note! We would have time our last day in Dublin after my husband's finished playing Portmarnock.... and we have walked Dublin city three times so far.. so this would be a great FIRST for us this trip!! Thank you!!
Old Mar 25th, 2018, 02:10 AM

Some suggestions for the Northwest......

Malin Head: a pretty remote gastro location but Rathmullan House is an outpost for good food in the area.
Ardara: Nancy's Bar is a cosy local institution, a must for your itinerary. Carnaween House is not too far away for an evening meal in Narin-Portnoo.
Rossnowlagh: Smuggler's Creek for your fix of seafood chowder and brown bread, Harvey's Point and Lough Eske are two upscale hotels in the area but for something slightly off the radar, a jaunt to Kinlough, a small village outside Bundoran, will reward you with an excellent meal in the Courthouse Restaurant. Piero Melis, the chef, hails from Sardinia so the food has a Mediterranean touch; we have never come away disappointed.
Shell's in Strandhill is a casual dining spot that always seems busy (for good reason) and Mammy Johnson's Ice Cream Parlour almost next door has earned itself quite a reputation over the years.
While the other half should really enjoy the challenge of courses like Ballyfiffen and Rosses Point, for scenery you should try to catch the cliffs at Slieve League, the short coast drive at Mullaghmore, Glencar Waterfall - and climb Knocknarea in Strandhill, just to work off all that soda bread before you head home.
Old Apr 1st, 2018, 07:36 AM

I'm also visiting Ireland in May but after am also going to Scotland

When researching Ireland, I read that you visited Scotland last year. Erin, would you mind sharing any highlights and reasonable priced good pubs and eaterys etc that you found in Scotland. We are renting a car and driving from Edinburgh north and around the west coast. We are also looking for local, friendly good food places.