Beachfront vacation with grandchildren

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2018, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need help! Would like to take small grandkids for their first beach/ocean vacation. Have been to Myrtle Beach and many places in Florida many years ago but not sure how they changed. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old Mar 2nd, 2018, 11:14 PM

Where will you be coming from? How far are you willing to travel? At what time of year? The more details you give, the more help you'll get.
Old Mar 3rd, 2018, 03:07 AM

Beautiful places to be had in Litchfield. Uncrowded beach. We have rented beach front houses in Ocean Isle Beach in NC. How old are the grands.
Old Mar 3rd, 2018, 09:13 AM

You can find many lovely beach towns all up and down the East Coast. If would be helpful if you narrowed it down to an area. I can give you suggestions if you are interested in New Jersey.
Old Mar 3rd, 2018, 12:45 PM

The nice thing about the SC beaches for small children is the gentle slope of the beach which leads to little tidal pools and gentle surf.
Old Mar 4th, 2018, 04:18 AM

The bay side of Cape Cod has lovely beaches for small kids. Look in Wellfleet, Truro, Provincetown area.
Old Mar 4th, 2018, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

I'm from a small town in the Midwest. The closest airport is about 125 miles. Factors I need to consider: safe area, decent flights, oceanfront, activities for kids. I would like to go in later July or early August for a week. Prefer not to rent a car but rely on public transportation. (shuttles, trolleys etc) Kids 1- 5.
I have looked at Myrtle Beach, St Pete's, San Diego. Someone else mentioned Gulf Port but I haven't checked into it yet.. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. It is on my bucket list to take these kids for their first ocean visit.
Old Mar 4th, 2018, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. I actually was just there last autumn. Beautiful area.
Old Mar 4th, 2018, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

Gretchen. I remember Myrtle Beach from about 30 years ago when my mom took my kids there. It was magical for them. Many of the posts say it has changed dramatically from the family friendly beach town. I looked at beach house, condos and resorts in North Myrtle Beach. Not sure what would be best.
Old Mar 4th, 2018, 07:02 AM

Jerse;y Shore

The entire shoreline of New Jersey (over 120 miles) is lined with unique towns, many of which would be ideal for you. But, since you mentioned transportation, you should take a look at Point Pleasant Beach. You could fly into Newark Airport and take the train from the airport to Point. (New Jersey Transit). It is relatively small compared to such similar towns such as Wildwood, but has a great boardwalk with rides and activities geared to younger children... and easy to get to. Once there everything is walkable. You won't find large mega story hotels. Most are Mom and pop type places.

https://www.visitnj.org/city/point-pleasant-beach

https://jenkinsons.com/
Old Mar 4th, 2018, 09:01 AM

Thanks for this thread and question.
Old Mar 4th, 2018, 09:11 AM

We are also planning a beach trip and are thinking of either Siest Key or Anna Maria Island. I posted a question but did not get any replies.
Old Mar 4th, 2018, 10:40 AM

I know you said you have been to several places in Florida, but I would heavily consider Sanabel Island for a first ocean visit for kids. I say this because of the abundance of seashells and the gentle ocean. My kids delighted in finding shells on the beach.
Old Mar 4th, 2018, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Alwayssouth: Thank you for your reply. Sanibel is a little too quiet with limited activities. I would like partially peace and quiet with a touch of carnival/boardwalk.
Old Mar 4th, 2018, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Tidy
Siesta Key Beach is beautiful but very crowded. Wide white sand beach with volleyball matches going on. Have you checked out Venice? Great beaches, good restaurants and shopping. St Pete's is also a great area. Once you get to hotel/resort you can either walk or trolley to restaurants or entertainment. The trolley/bus goes between St Pete and Clearwater. It was $4.00 for the day..get on and off as much as you want.
Old Mar 4th, 2018, 08:28 PM

Cape May, NJ; Cape Cod; Outer Banks, NC; Rehoboth Beach, DE would all be great options at that time of year.
Old Mar 5th, 2018, 04:12 AM
Original Poster

I have been looking into the New Jersey shoreline at the suggestion of SusieQQ. It sounds very interesting. I also want to check out Rehobeth. Thanks.
Old Mar 5th, 2018, 09:27 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
San Diego, Catalina Island, would be less humid and there is so much cor children in the area..
Old Mar 5th, 2018, 11:52 AM

If you're not committed to the east coast, I agree with Happy~San Diego is a great place with lots to see and do.
Old Mar 5th, 2018, 11:58 AM

Callerid, do you know anything about Santa Maria. We will be there June 7-12 so I imagine beaches shouldn't be too crowded then would they??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -