5 Days in the Lower Engadine

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2017, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our family of 4 took a 10 day vacation in the lower Engadine region and Lake Como. This report is for the Switzerland portion of our trip, I will post the report for Lake Como on the Italy board. Many thanks to several Fodorites for their generous advice and painstakingly written trip reports - swandav2000, kja, Ingo, neckervd, massimop, and Dianedancer to name a few - we all thought this was our most enjoyable vacation in recent years.
We flew into Zurich and out of Milan. We used Scuol as our base in the Engadine for the conveniences it offered; we did not have a car and took trains and the postbus everywhere. As always we did way less than we had originally planned, indeed we could have stayed here for the entire duration of our 10 day trip.
It will take me some time to post a somewhat detailed trip report, in the meantime here are some pictures:
Walk from Guards to Ardez:
https://flic.kr/s/aHsm3KLjqZ
Walk from Tarasp Vulpera to the castle:
https://flic.kr/s/aHsm7tD5tv
Walk from Motta Naluns to Prui:
https://flic.kr/s/aHsm7u8WT2
Walk in Scuol:
https://flic.kr/s/aHsm3FJzKA
Morteratsch glacier and the Bernina train route:
https://flic.kr/s/aHsm3vFFLA
As many have said, this is a special part of the world - there was so much more to do that we will definitely have to go back.
Old Aug 28th, 2017, 12:24 PM

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Wonderful photos!
We have 5 days in the upper Engadine coming up next month, and have the lower Engadine on my wish list for another time.
Will be saving your report for my planning stage then

As I have been planning our September trip, I have found it so difficult to divide up a 5 night stay, it is way too short, isn't it.
Old Aug 28th, 2017, 05:54 PM
kja

I'm so glad (if not at all surprised) that you enjoyed your time in the lower Engadine -- it is spectacular, isn't it? Thanks for letting us know, and thanks for the shout-out.
Old Aug 29th, 2017, 01:02 AM

Very glad you enjoyed your vacation, but not surprised at all. Thanks for posting - very beautiful photos (not much has changed as far as I could see).
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 02:14 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Wonderful photos, I can't believe I missed your post earlier. We spent another two weeks in the Lower Engadine in December and I'm debating on whether to post a full report, or just a link to photos as you have.

I was nice to see Scuol and environs in the summer as we've only visited in the winter (so far).
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 09:07 PM

Please write a full trip report, Melnq! ;-)
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 05:52 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Cheers Ingo I'll see what I can do.
Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

Oh, please do post pictures melnq8! I thought of writing a trip report, but then I got so busy so I told myself I'd answer any questions that came up on this board instead.
Old Jan 24th, 2018, 05:54 PM

Great pictures. Thank you for sharing. I had never even heard of this place, so thanks for making my world a little broader!
Old Jan 24th, 2018, 09:09 PM

Hi vipsha,

Oh, thank you so much for posting these lovely photos! I spent several days in Zuoz many, many years ago (with great help from Ingo!!), and also several days in Scuol at a later date. It is truly an amazing area, and your pictures do a great job showing its beauty! Thanks again for taking the time to post & share these!

s
Old Jan 25th, 2018, 12:13 PM

Glad this thread popped up again. And enjoyed looking at your photos again.

vipsha, we loved our visit to the Upper Engadin in September. Am now keenly planning a trip for next year including both the Upper and the Lower, however, my husband needs some convincing...he insists there is no way the Lower Engadin can match anything as beautiful as the Upper Engadin and Bregaglia valley. So I need photos like yours to help get my itinerary approved

mel, just saw your photos on flickr, the Scuol to Sent set had me drooling. Looking forward to your report, hint hint...
Old Jan 25th, 2018, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Bregaglia valley, that looks gorgeous. So many places to visit and so little time, I meant to start a thread on how people find time to travel for weeks and months at a stretch. I am grateful to be working, but would love to get tips on how to wangle longer vacations without quitting my job. I have rarely traveled for more than a week at a stretch, the only time I did that I had made up my mind to quit, and even then it was only for 3 weeks. Melnq8, turns out I follow you on flickr I must have been reading one of your posts. We had told ourselves we would be back in Scuol over the holidays but weren't able to make it, thanks to your pictures I was able to enjoy it vicariously.

Last edited by vipsha; Jan 25th, 2018 at 03:17 PM.
Old Jan 25th, 2018, 03:52 PM

vipsha, did you see my Upper Engadin photos?

https://flic.kr/s/aHsm7WHJHM

The lakes and forests and valleys and cute towns.... not sure I could handle it in the winter like mel, but we did get snow which was really thrilling for an Aussie girl.
Old Jan 25th, 2018, 05:50 PM
kja

@ Adelaidean: FWIW, I thought the Upper Engadine breathtaking. I thought the Bregaglia Valley delightful. But when I dream of Switzerland, I'm in the Lower Engadine. SOoooo beautiful! JMO.

@ vipsha: I happen to be fortunate to have a job that allows extended trips. I treasure that, not only because of the opportunities it affords, but also because I know its a rare privilege.
Old Jan 25th, 2018, 05:55 PM

good to know, kja, I'm dreaming of Switzerland now, long hot weekend of 42C ahead...
Old Jan 25th, 2018, 06:13 PM
kja

@ Adelaidean: I can -- and do -- dream of Switzerland regardless of the weather! Good luck surviving the heat.
Old Jan 25th, 2018, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

OMG Adelaidean, my husband and I saw your photographs, and we both said at the same time - this is where we are going next summer! Loved your entire itinerary, particularly the Sils Maria walk photos. The pictures of Bergamo want me to take the next flight there, we went to Lake Como after the Lower Engadine but it was so hot we did not venture out very much. And I've always wanted to go back to the BO region with the kids, I sometimes wish I could just move to Europe.
Old Jan 25th, 2018, 08:51 PM

Bookmarking for later
Old Jan 25th, 2018, 09:52 PM

vipsha, that is exactly how I felt once I saw photos of Guarda, Scuol, ... so my mission is to convince my husband that a combination of both Upper and Lower is the perfect solution.
I will probably go to Germany in September, but hoping for Switzerland in June next year. All depends on how our holidays get allocated. On your previous post re:" how to wrangle longer vacations"....we took the kids to Italy in 2016, now that was a feat, trying to get our holidays during school and uni break. I have lots of leave accrued, it is just hard to get it approved to actually take.
Old Jan 25th, 2018, 09:55 PM

Adelaidean -- wow, stunning photos also! Not sure how I missed them the first time around. Thanks so much for posting them!

s

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -