Search

Relocating Easton Maryland

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2016, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Relocating Easton Maryland

Good Morning!

Quick question about relocating to Talbot County. Easton, Royal Oak and or St. Michaels. Our family of four ( Mom Dad Boy 7 Girl 2 ) are originally from Snow Hill, MD but have lived in Harford County MD for 15 years.

We are concerned about being considered outsiders and not ever being truly accepted in the area....as Talbot County has long held that reputation....in addition to being Paradise of course...

Obviously, we know you get out what you put in and our very active with our kids and sports, church, etc.

Would anyone be willing to comment or offer some thoughts on this over generalized feeling?
Old Mar 17th, 2016, 06:23 AM

I have friend's and relative's living there. One is moving to Royal Oak area right now from Easton proper. It is a great community and if you can afford it I would do it. Get involved in the community and you will be good. I love the Eastern shore. I live in Florida due to a work move many years ago.
Old Mar 17th, 2016, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks flpab. Appreciate your feedback.
Old Mar 19th, 2016, 02:21 PM

We bought a weekend home in St. Michaels 17 years ago. We were lucky enough to be able to live there full time in the mid-2000s when our kids were preschool age. It was wonderful. With young kids you will have no problem being accepted and integrating into the community. The people truly are so friendly. These days there are so many transplants, retirees from other areas and weekenders that the true "Native Eastern Shoreman" is becoming more rare.

When we bought our house, Tilghman Island was notorious for not being kind to outsiders but that could have changed in recent years as the area has become more developed. But it is so far out the peninsula, unless you worked out there, I don't see why you'd live that far out.

A job pulled us away and we still use it as a weekend home. So it is great to have good friends from when we lived there and could really get to know people. We are looking forward to moving back to full time once the kids are out of HS.
Old Mar 21st, 2016, 03:46 AM

I bought a home in Easton about 10 years ago, with an aim to retiring there. My mother moved up from Florida and lives there full time. She became friends with our amazing real estate agent, who hooked her up with a bunch of people and guided her to the Mental Health Association (that sounds weird, but it's just a place for her to volunteer) where she has met tons of nice people. She never found anyone to be less than friendly, helpful and interesting. I retired this year and am moving there full-time over the course of this year. I haven't the slightest concern about being a part of this community after watching my mother integrate seamlessly.

You definitely nailed it - Easton is Paradise. This word is often overused, but "magical" is the word that often floats through my mind when I'm there. I've had 10 years of being there now (weekends), so this is not the blush of early love. My certainty grows with time.

Come on in - the water's fine!
Old Mar 21st, 2016, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the thoughtful and thorough replies! Really appreciate your time. We plan to visit for a few weekends this spring and summer to explore the area in general.