Our Road trip around USA

Search

Our Road trip around USA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2016, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Our Road trip around USA

Hi everyone we were wondering if you all could give us some ideas for our 60 day trip, we are in out early 60's so no rock/mountain climbing . we are starting in Los Angeles picking up a rental car and heading up to San Francisco on the coastal road from there we arent sure which road to take we are going through Oregon then heading over to Yellowstone National Park, from there we will head towards South Dakota then making our way to Newark NY we are meeting people there so have to be there by 6th july we are spending a week around that area then heading to Florida where we will spend another week from there we have 3 weeks to get back to Los Angeles via New Orleans the southern states. We have already travelled the i40 to Nashville/Memphis so dont want to do that again, but our interests are Western / Native American Heritage/Rodeos/Country Music. Any suggestions would be appreciated
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 03:39 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
That's a lot of territory!

Couple things to get you started regarding Western / Native American Heritage:

Don't miss this:
http://centerofthewest.org/

Mountain Man Rendezvous reenactments can be fun. Here is one resource. Plug in your dates, see if it fits:
http://www.crazycrow.com/events_rendezvous/

There is a small mountain man museum in Pinedale, Wyoming. Not necessarily worth going out of your way, but it's got some cool stuff, including Jim Bridger's rifle, if you wind up traveling by there.
http://museumofthemountainman.com/

I have not seen "The Revenant" yet, but Bridger played a part in what's actually known of the Hugh Glass story, which is not much. I don't know how Bridger figures in the movie.
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 04:27 PM

Going back to LA surely you would want to do the Santa Fe/Taos/Canyon de Chelly/Mesa Verde type of touring.

Also by going up to Oregon you are missing a wonder of the world IMO--Yosemite. Go to Yosemite and then up to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons
En route from the Badlands/SD, don't miss the St. Louis Arch.
Forget about Florida and do the Southeast coast of Charleston and Savannah before heading to NOLA
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 05:54 PM

Oregon is rich with volcanic features. Lava beds, Obsidian trail, Lava Tube caves, Fossil Beds (of early mammalian period I.e. dog sized horses and more), Crater Lake. (Bluest Lake I have ever seen, inside the Crater of a volcano) In my opinion, Oregon is a really neat place to visit that is somewhat unknown . Names of places to Google - Newberry Crater Lake, Crater Lake and John Day Fossil Beds.

If you like red rock scenery, you'll want to go through Utah - amazing Arches, Canyonlands, hoodoos (Bryce Canyon), Zion, Antelope Canyon, Grand Canyon and many more. Walnut Canyon is a limestone remains of cliff cave dwellings of Native Americans.

If you are interested in Native American culture, New Mexico is one you won't want to miss. Bandelier National Monument has amazing remains of Native American cliff cave dwellings you could climb into if you so desire, walking on the Footpath of these same cliff dwellers in volcanic rock. Albuquerque and Santa Fe were neat too. Lots of modern Native American culture available too. Also a super volcano and rocks shaped like tents are close by.

Feel free to check out my blog on New Mexico. http://budgettravelwithkids.com/blog...ue-new-mexico/

Have fun! Sounds like an awesome trip!
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 06:35 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree with Gretchen about skipping Florida. If you really need a dose of Disney you can do it at Disneyland in Los Angeles.
With a full 60 days, by all means see Yosemite, Crater Lake and Yellowstone.
The Newberry Caldera has two lakes (Paulina and East)with the cone separating them.
On the way from Oregon to Yellowstone, you can visit the Craters of the Moon in central Idaho.
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 07:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone your ideas are great we did a tour of the canyons and Yosemite on other trips Florida is for our grandson so that is a must for us we hope to get feedback on each of the states we plan to travel through so we don't get back to Australia and say we missed that so info from Oregon Idaho Montana wyoming Sth or North Dakota etc etc would help us greatly thx again Bill and Paulette
Old Jan 28th, 2016, 02:29 AM

I would give up the car in Salt Lake City and fly east to Newark (in New Jersey, not NY) or Florida, depending on how the rest of the trip works out.

There are plenty of interesting places in the Mid-west, but they aren't densely situated enough to include in what is basically a bicoastal trip. Save it for another trip when you can visit the Black Hills, Chicago, St Louis, Memphis, and New Orleans.

Fly from NY to wherever in Florida on JetBlue from JFK. Get on their mailing list because their advance purchase flights are dirt cheap, and July is off-season for Americans to travel to Florida. The drive is miserable.
Old Jan 28th, 2016, 07:01 AM

What a wonderful trip--I swear, you Aussies see more of the U.S. than most of its residents!

On your southern leg back to Los Angeles, are you looking at taking Interstate 10? If so, in Texas, you could see San Antonio and/or Austin and the Texas Hill Country and then get close to the Mexican border on your way west. It's a long haul no matter how you drive across Texas, but Big Bend National Park is out that way, along with some interesting little towns like Marfa and Fort Davis, where the McDonald Observatory is a popular attraction.
Old Jan 28th, 2016, 07:49 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Is there any way you could reverse your route? That would help avoid the worst of the heat and humidity in the southeast and give time for the weather to improve in the west.

I think it's pretty (IMO overly) ambitious and would suggest you give some consideration to breaking it up into a couple of loops - maybe San Francisco to San Francisco via South Dakota, Yellowstone, the Pacific Northwest and the Oregon coast/redwoods, followed by a music loop including New Orleans and Austin Texas, flying between them. Then I'd fly to Florida and from there to NYC, or vice versa depending on your ultimate schedule for places.
Old Jan 28th, 2016, 11:40 AM

Were commas outlawed in New Zealand schools at some point?

Are you going from California to Oregon, across the paloose to the Dakotas, then south through (around?) Chicago and hauling to NY on I-80?

And then driving down I-95 to get to Orlando?

And then from Orlando driving to LA across I-10?

Is that it?

If so, you're gonna need a car with EXCELLENT aircon because you'll be going through the South and (worse) Texas-NM-Arizona-Eastern Cali in July.

And what suggestions do you want?

Also, what means "country" music to you? Merle Haggard/Johnny Cash or Dierks Bentley/Jason Aldean or Taylor Swift/Kellie Pickler?
Old Jan 28th, 2016, 05:51 PM

I'm curious if you mean Newark, NJ or Newark, NY? Newark, NY is a small town in Western NY/Finger Lakes region, quite different from Newark, NJ.