Dallas, TX to Arizona

Nov 10th, 2003, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Dallas, TX to Arizona

My husband and I are planning a driving trip to the Grand Canyon in October from Dallas. I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to what we must see on our way. We will have 2 weeks so we can be flexible on the route we take. I was thinking we might also head to Yosemite or Yellowstone but I'm not sure how realistic that is. Any suggestions/comment would be appreciated.

Also it looks like the Thunderbird is the only place in the park where we can stay and get a canyon view. I have read mixed reviews about them here. I am wondering if it would be better to stay at one of the other park lodging and forgo the canyon view.

Thanks
Nov 10th, 2003, 01:21 PM

You'll have some potentially interesting stops if you head up to I-40 and take that most of the way.

Albuquerque, Santa Fe, and Taos are worth a few days, especially if you'll be coming at ABQ Balloon Fiesta time. There are several Indian Pueblos within reach of the interstate as well. Durango and Mesa Verde are about 4 hours north of the interstate, depending on how far afield you'd like to go.

Once you get into Arizona, there are the Painted Desert and Petrified Forest, as well as Walnut Canyon and several other nice stops.

I wouldn't go to Yellowstone, but Yosemite might be a thought, depending on how much time you like to spend in any given place. You can easily spend 2 weeks just visiting NM and Arizona.
Nov 10th, 2003, 07:19 PM

I agree with Travelly that Yosemite and Yellowstone are really to far for a two week trip from Dallas. You're looking at just over 2,000 miles just to get to the Grand Canyon and back. If you add Yosemite that 3,650 miles round trip and Yellowstone is 3,500 miles round trip and you need at least 3 - 5 days to really see Yellowstone.

There are so many wonderful places to see a lot closer to the Grand Canyon. I would suggest leaving Dallas on I-20 and then go up to Carlsbad Caverns, New Mexico. Work your way back up to I-40 and visit the Painted Desert and Petrifed Forest just east of Holbrook, AZ. You might want to go a little south of Flagstaff to see Sedona, AZ. Then up to the Grand Canyon. From the Grand Canyon travel north on Hwy 89 to the Glen Canyon National Recreational Area, (Lake Powell) near Page, AZ. We just did the float trip on the Colorado River from Page and it's the BEST! Also did Antelope Slots Canyon this year for the first time and it's also a great treat. We've done the all day boat trip on Lake Powell to Rainbow Bridge but since the lake has been so low that now involves a 3 mile hike.

From Page keep going on Hwy 89 to Mt. Carmel Jct., Utah and then take Hwy 9 into Zion National Park. Spend a couple days here, it's a beautiful are to hike or just relax. From Zion back track to Hwy 89 and then up to Hwy 12 and visit Bryce Canyon National Park. Then take scenic Hwy 12 thought Escalante Grand Staircase National Monument up to Torrey, Utah. Spend at least one night in Torrey so you can visit Capitol Reef National Park. Continue on Hwy 24 up to I-70 and then down Hwy 191 to Moab, Utah. Near Moab is Arches National Park, Canyonlands National Park, Dead Horse State Park, Scenic Hwy 128 and many other wonderful sites. Try and spend 2 or three days here. From Moab, leave on scenic Hwy 128 to get to I-70 and go to Grand Junction. If you still have time there is Colorado National Monument. Take Hwy 50 to Montrose and then take Hwy 550 (The Million Dollar Hwy) through Ouray & Silverton to Durango. Continue on down to Albuquerque, take I-40 to OK City and then back to Dallas.

On this route of about 3,100 miles you have the opportunity to see 10 National Parks, 4 National Monuments (I didn't even list all of them) 1 National Recreational Area, and drive 3 of the most beautiful drives in the USA.

You probably won't have time for everything and there are other variations that can be made on this route.

Here are my pictures taken in the area:

http://www.utahtea.lithium.com/vacat...west%20rim.htm

and

http://pages.ivillage.com/utahtea2/id23.html

Here is the link to my FAVORITE website on the area:

http://www.so-utah.com/

Utahtea
Nov 11th, 2003, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Just wanted to thank you both for your suggestions. I wasn't sure how to go about planning this trip but you were a tremendous help. Any other comments are welcome.

Going to look at your pictures right now.
Nov 11th, 2003, 01:51 PM

Great info Utahtea. Thanks for sharing that with us!!