My wife and I are planning on driving from San Jose, California to David, Panama April of 2010. Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? What pre-arrangements do we need to make in order to cross borders (visas-should we get them prior to starting the trip or should we expect to get them as we get to the crossings). We have the title to our vehicle (4x4 Ford F-150) and international insurance (Lloyds). Passports are in order. We plan on following Hwy 1 to Cabo San Lucas or La Paz and taking the ferry to Matzatlan and pretty much following the Pacific coast road(s) mainly the PanAm Hwy all the way to Panama. Drive time is not an issue. I plan to take between 30-45 days to make what should be a 10 day drive as we want to sight-see and generally goof off on the way down. Ideas, thoughts and notes are greatly appreciated. I didn't select Panama on the tag because that is my end destination and I am familiar with Costa Rica: however, any tidbits you might have on them would also be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your inputs!
Road trip from California to Panama
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Driving from Florida to Belize
- 2 Spring in Oaxaca - a perfect getaway for our 15th wedding anniversary!
- 3 Puebla Bonita Pacifico Resort and Spa in Cabo San Lucas
- 4 Apartment Finders
- 5 5 Weeks in Chocolate Paradise
- 6 Looking for inexpensive villas/bungalows with a private/secluded beach.
- 7 Nicaragua trip on 5/22...Need help, pls
- 8 Costa Rica for a lone female?
- 9 Playa del Carmen - El Faro or Corto Maltes?
- 10 Puerto Vallarta for honeymoon... Ideas??
- 11 Guanajuato or San Cristobal de las Casas Mexico
- 12 Costa Rica - Dominical/Uvita in September with 2 yr old
- 13 1 month itinerary US/Mexico
- 14 August weather in Cabo San Lucas?
- 15 Photos from Panama (Chiriqui, Canal Zone) February 2014
- 16 Meditation and/or yoga retreat
- 17 NY Times article about Osa Peninsula
- 18 Suggestions for a Unique, Non-Touristy quick trip to the CANCUN area??
- 19 Petit Laffite hotel, Playa del Carmen
- 20 Advice for lazy *budget* beach vacation with 1 year old
- 21 Costa Rica - Family of 6 - July
- 22 Looking for Belize itinerary planning suggestions
- 23 Family Vacation, Caribbean Costa Rica and Panama
- 24 Hopefulist in Belize, 2014
- 25 International connectons through San Pedro Sula or Panama City