Notices

Driving a car from US to Canada

Jul 21st, 2011, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Driving a car from US to Canada

I am thinking about driving from Oregon to Whistler, BC, this summer. The car is registered in my son's name and has Oregon plates. I can't find the info that tells me if I can take a car which is not registered to me into Canada. Any suggestions as to where I can find this info before planning the excursion...
Jul 21st, 2011, 05:31 PM

As far as I know you can. As a Canadian crossing into the US and back into Canada the question of car ownership has never come up.

Make sure you do have the registration and insurance card with you though.
Jul 21st, 2011, 07:44 PM

Interesting question, so I googled it. This is what a webpage from the U.S. Customs and Border Protection site says:
"•If the car or vehicle is loaned or being brought into or taken out the United States on behalf of a friend or relative, the driver might want to have a notarized copy of a permission letter addressed to the "Officer In Charge of Customs and Border Protection" to drive the car across the border."

Apparently this is because U.S. Customs and Border Protection has treaties with Canada and Mexico to prevent the import/export of stolen vehicles. But I would suggest you phone both Canada Customs and U.S. Customs and specifically ask them.
Jul 22nd, 2011, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, that is just what I wanted to know!
Sep 9th, 2013, 09:35 AM

Hi, I have taken a relatives car across the border and yes an authorization letter is required. Luckily I read this article before I left informing me of a required upgrade in my insurance.

http://xtremetires.moonfruit.com/

Quite a few policies do not cover you in Canada so beware!

Search this Thread