I'm in the middle of planning my 40th birthday trip to the UK. I've been there 6 times before and spent my junior year in college at Sussex. Yet despite my previous trips and my lifelong love of all things Austen, I've never done a lot of the Jane Austen sights in the UK. My husband is not in love with all things Austen, but is coming along on the condition we also add in York. This doesn't fit in terribly well with my planned itinerary, but I'm trying to make the best of it. This has brought me to a basic plan is to see York for a few days, then head down to Austen country before ending up in London.
My questions thus far:
1. What is the best way to get from York to Bath? Perhaps with my aging, my skills are lessening ... but I can't seem to find any good public transportation to get between York and Bath. Presumably this is because the rail lines don't want to go in the same direction as I do, but talk about being highly vexing.
2. Because of my problems listed above, I'm looking into driving this trek, and thus started to expand my research into places to visit. I think I can sell my husband on a visit to Chatsworth as a 'pit stop' between our long day of driving from York to Bath. It seems doable when I plot it on the computer, but has anyone ever been crazy enough to do this? Exactly how insane is this idea? Because, I know, it is insane, but we do enjoy our times driving through Britain. I've thought about spending the night in Bakewell, and taking two days to get from York to Bath. But I hate moving around a lot when traveling, and I already feel like I'm pushing it with York, Bath and London.
In case this matters for your answers... we're traveling in May for two weeks, and we'll be in London in time for the Chelsea Flower Show, which is why I need to end up in London.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Croatia Itinerary Help
- 2 After Beaune, need suggestions for the next 10 days
- 3 Trek through Eur
- 4 Italy Sept 26-Oct 6 2017
- 5 Paris hotels
- 6 Europe itinerary questions
- 7 For a Taste of Four Cultures on Two Contınents
- 8 London Hotels
- 9 Flying into Copenhagen (1st trip to Europe)
- 10 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 11 Denmark or Sweden?
- 12 We're here!
- 13 Has anyone rented from Allinclusive! Rent a Car ?
- 14 Norway, Sweden, Denmark
- 15 Swiss Trip Itineraryand Charges
- 16 Car Rental in France (Insurance + Add'l Driver Questions?)
- 17 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 18 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 19 Amsterdam hotels
- 20 From Portugal to the Pyrenees and onto Paris
- 21 12 Day Central Europe Itinerary
- 22 Which airport for Bellagio?
- 23 Paris and London Christmas / NY EVE
- 24 Where to weekend away from Frankfurt
- 25 Brugge hotel help