I haven't posted in a while. I have a trip planned for mid-June to early July(mostly in Italy, with an 11-day hiking trip in Dolomites as the highlight), but it looks like I may have the opportunity to extend my stay substantially. The question is, what to do with that time.
Some information to make it easier to advise me:
1) I have spent time in Europe before (though not in peak tourist season), so I have an idea of costs.
2) I am looking to go to places I haven't been before. So far, I have spent time in Italy, Paris, Berlin, Munich, Vienna, Amsterdam, Bruges, London(not that would go anywhere near London this summer even if I hadn't)
3) To the extent that I can, I hope to minimize the volume of crowds I have to deal with. Don't misunderstand me, I am well aware that this is peak tourist season and I will have to live with some ugly crowd situations.
4) I will not have access to a car, which hasn't been much of an issue in my previous trips, but it does limit my ability to go to some more rural locales.
5) My primary interests are in Art (pre-Modern), architecture, history and natural beauty. I will probably want to do some hiking, particularly since I will be carrying all the gear I need for it anyway. The other thing to mention is that some time for quiet contemplation is definitely needed for this trip.
6) The start of the trip (i.e. the end of my original trip) is Milan. My VERY preliminary thinking is to head North through Switzerland into Germany heading for Denmark and Sweden, then onto Norway and then across to Scotland (is there a boat?). But this, as I said, not remotely set in stone, maybe Southern France into Spain and Portugal would be better, or something completely different.
7) The other thing to mention I guess is that it is May 21st and I have made no reservations yet, which is definitely going to be an issue is some places I suspect.
8) Lastly, and I know people say this in these kind of threads all the time, but if I take the extended trip, this will definitely be my last time in Europe. Trust me.
Anyway, there are probably other things I should mention, but that should be enough to get the conversation started.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 TPLINK ROUTER 1800:681:7208 installation CONTACT TPLINK Tec*h care 24/7
- 2 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 3 Just the wine list please and Daisy came too.
- 4 Question about Loire Valley châteaux
- 5 Mantova, Ravenna, Brisighella, Bologna
- 6 Itinerary between Milan and Venice
- 7 Venice to Zermatt by Train
- 8 Destination ideas for 88 year old
- 9 ASTURIAS IN LATE OCTOBER??
- 10 Driving through Paris
- 11 Bruges
- 12 Trip planning to Paris, Lyon, Strasbourg
- 13 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 14 Ambitious 1st time trip through Europe whilst pregnant??
- 15 Vacation apartment registration begins in Paris 1 Oct
- 16 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 17 Positano vs. Amalfi vs. Praiano
- 18 First - but not last - trip to Greece
- 19 Online Site for Alhambra Tickets
- 20 OUR 2-WEEK SPANISH JOURNEY: MADRID, TOLEDO, AND ANDALUCIA!
- 21 Venice, Florence, Umbria, Rome, AND Amalfi?
- 22 Solo accommodation -- London -- Dec 19-ish
- 23 Cyclades w/kids & my ruins-fanatic DH (itin and accommodation advice)
- 24 Ok then, what trip was difficult to organize?
- 25 Arenalullring area Seville?