I haven't posted in a while. I have a trip planned for mid-June to early July(mostly in Italy, with an 11-day hiking trip in Dolomites as the highlight), but it looks like I may have the opportunity to extend my stay substantially. The question is, what to do with that time.
Some information to make it easier to advise me:
1) I have spent time in Europe before (though not in peak tourist season), so I have an idea of costs.
2) I am looking to go to places I haven't been before. So far, I have spent time in Italy, Paris, Berlin, Munich, Vienna, Amsterdam, Bruges, London(not that would go anywhere near London this summer even if I hadn't)
3) To the extent that I can, I hope to minimize the volume of crowds I have to deal with. Don't misunderstand me, I am well aware that this is peak tourist season and I will have to live with some ugly crowd situations.
4) I will not have access to a car, which hasn't been much of an issue in my previous trips, but it does limit my ability to go to some more rural locales.
5) My primary interests are in Art (pre-Modern), architecture, history and natural beauty. I will probably want to do some hiking, particularly since I will be carrying all the gear I need for it anyway. The other thing to mention is that some time for quiet contemplation is definitely needed for this trip.
6) The start of the trip (i.e. the end of my original trip) is Milan. My VERY preliminary thinking is to head North through Switzerland into Germany heading for Denmark and Sweden, then onto Norway and then across to Scotland (is there a boat?). But this, as I said, not remotely set in stone, maybe Southern France into Spain and Portugal would be better, or something completely different.
7) The other thing to mention I guess is that it is May 21st and I have made no reservations yet, which is definitely going to be an issue is some places I suspect.
8) Lastly, and I know people say this in these kind of threads all the time, but if I take the extended trip, this will definitely be my last time in Europe. Trust me.
Anyway, there are probably other things I should mention, but that should be enough to get the conversation started.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Thoughts on an unusual itinerary for Northern Spain please
- 2 Copenhagen to Oslo to Amsterdam: Are we nuts?
- 3 Rome
- 4 Booking hotels before trains
- 5 Our week in Scotland—“againn san t-seachdain ann an Alba”
- 6 First time in France
- 7 Best European Cities for Walking Challenged
- 8 What to expect over Christmas
- 9 Eiffel Tower Fireworks Photos July 14th
- 10 Planning stages of trip to Andalusia
- 11 English Countryside
- 12 When is Pope's schedule released for 2017?
- 13 First time to London - couple for lodging
- 14 Bologna, Florence, Venice 5 days
- 15 Vienna or Budapest?
- 16 Getting from Ljubljana to Plitvice Lakes
- 17 Munich
- 18 Need help in travel planning
- 19 Paris---baguette question???
- 20 Portugal itinerary help
- 21 Puglia or La Langhe
- 22 Switzerland, Austria, Prague and Munich
- 23 Revised post- cruise itinerary
- 24 Stay in Multalcino or Montepulciano
- 25 Visiting Spain in January