I'm planning to tour southwest England in mid-September for 13 days.
I'll be flying into LHR and renting a car from there. Here's my plan so far:
Week 1: I'll be staying around Southampton very near a friend who will be showing me around Hampshire. I'll have a couple days on my own initially, so i was thinking of Stonehenge, Salisbury & Winchester. I hear the stone circle at Avesbury is very nice though, so maybe that's a good alternative to SH. After this, my friend in Southampton will take over my touring for about 3 days. After that I'll be heading west to Cornwall. I thought about a northerly route on which I would stop in Bath. I'd also like to see Oxford, but perhaps that's too much to squeeze in and too far north.
Week 2: After Bath, I would like to head toward Exmoor and from there follow the coastal route all the way around to to Weymouth, before heading back to LHR.
If I stick strictly to a coastal route, I would probably miss lots of beautiful places in the interior of Devon and Cornwall, so I would appreciate any suggestions for that part of the trip specifically and any comments/suggestions on the doability of the whole trip in general.
Thanks so much,
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Charming hotels in Paris, please help.
- 2 Madrid/Andalucia Trip
- 3 RS view on booking.com & the like
- 4 Lake Como AREA questions
- 5 PORTO (???) combine with Galicia??
- 6 Spain - day driver advice
- 7 Sitting at a cafe watching the world go by - hmmm...
- 8 Capri is for vacationing, la Dordogne is for living
- 9 Please help with Carry-on Question--CDG!
- 10 Day Trips from Zug in Switzerland
- 11 Late November with a 7-month-old - Portugal?
- 12 Please help: Swiss Pass/Lucerne/Engadine?
- 13 Best walking route Plitvice Lakes
- 14 London with Teens Trip Report
- 15 Bregenzer Festspiele: the opera Carmen
- 16 Cortona -- just a passing thought
- 17 Charming Balcony Hotel in Le Marais?
- 18 Trip Report: Italy with the bambinos!
- 19 Day trip from Amsterdam for college girls
- 20 Trains from Istanbul to Budapest
- 21 Madrird and Seville
- 22 Greece
- 23 Ludwig Castles
- 24 3 Weeks in Sicilia!!
- 25 FYI, Bourdain in Porto, this Sunday (July 2)