I will be spending a few days in Frankfurt before visiting Rothenburg and then Fussen. I want to see some nice towns along the way but I am not driving, so I would like to use Rothenburg as a base and then take day trips to Bamburg, Wurzburg, Nuremberg etc. by train.
(Therefore, I would like to stay in Rothenburg for 4 nights (and 4 full days). 1st day: explore Rothenburg. Other 3 days: day trips to nearby towns.) Is this a good strategy? My goal is to minimize the hassle of dragging luggage back and forth from train stations to hotels etc.
Is there another Romantic Road town that would serve as a better 'base' than Rothenburg? (or are there any other day trips you would recommend from Rothenburg?)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Hiking the Cinque Terre Trails?
- 2 Single Parent with Tweens London/Paris
- 3 Renting a car in Greece
- 4 Day trip from Amsterdam for college girls
- 5 Capri is for vacationing, la Dordogne is for living
- 6 Spain - day driver advice
- 7 Stuck in Paris
- 8 Exploring Lisbon & where else?
- 9 Greece
- 10 Ex-pats with young kids
- 11 Iceland france spain
- 12 Ludwig Castles
- 13 Help on ancient history route
- 14 Need help with Honeymoon - Italy, Slovenia, Croatia
- 15 London with Teens Trip Report
- 16 Cinque Terre, Bologna and Lake Como
- 17 Paris hotel
- 18 Fly out Venice or Rome
- 19 Spanish food - not that special?
- 20 15 day honeymoon trip in December
- 21 Maximizing Norway time
- 22 Cortona -- just a passing thought
- 23 How to travel from Thessaloniki airport to Halkidiki
- 24 Konigsee or Wolfgangsee for a stay of 3 days ?
- 25 This Pirate goes to Penzance, and then on to the land of Fire and Ice
Rothenburg ob der Tauber as a base for exploring other towns?