I will be spending a few days in Frankfurt before visiting Rothenburg and then Fussen. I want to see some nice towns along the way but I am not driving, so I would like to use Rothenburg as a base and then take day trips to Bamburg, Wurzburg, Nuremberg etc. by train.
(Therefore, I would like to stay in Rothenburg for 4 nights (and 4 full days). 1st day: explore Rothenburg. Other 3 days: day trips to nearby towns.) Is this a good strategy? My goal is to minimize the hassle of dragging luggage back and forth from train stations to hotels etc.
Is there another Romantic Road town that would serve as a better 'base' than Rothenburg? (or are there any other day trips you would recommend from Rothenburg?)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Flights between Rome, Paris, London- I have questions!
- 2 Italy - rental car damages query
- 3 plane or train for quick trip Rome to Venice
- 4 20 Days in Europe
- 5 Another strong earthquake in central Italy
- 6 10 days in Ireland! Ready? Shoot.
- 7 Will this be a problem??? - connecting flights and different airlines
- 8 Farmhouse stay in Ireland?
- 9 Travel vs. Babies
- 10 Solo trip across Europe covering 18 countries
- 11 Help plan trip to Coppenhagen and Stockholm
- 12 Espagne, Olé! Ancient to modern, through Andalucia, Toledo and Madrid
- 13 Trip summary: London, England, July 2016
- 14 Early Spring Air Sales To Europe
- 15 Verona and Lake Garda
- 16 Spain itinerary, suggestions please!
- 17 European Cooking Secrets
- 18 Ger's Trip to Rome & Bologna
- 19 Luggage allowance internal connection to international
- 20 Planning 20th anniversary 1st trip to Italy Feb 2017.
- 21 8 days Skiing, City and Christmas Markets in Central Europe in late Nov
- 22 Traveling to Europe mid November - suggestions
- 23 CDG much improved
- 24 Where to stay in Paris? So many options!
- 25 London's Must Sights!
Rothenburg ob der Tauber as a base for exploring other towns?