I will be spending a few days in Frankfurt before visiting Rothenburg and then Fussen. I want to see some nice towns along the way but I am not driving, so I would like to use Rothenburg as a base and then take day trips to Bamburg, Wurzburg, Nuremberg etc. by train.
(Therefore, I would like to stay in Rothenburg for 4 nights (and 4 full days). 1st day: explore Rothenburg. Other 3 days: day trips to nearby towns.) Is this a good strategy? My goal is to minimize the hassle of dragging luggage back and forth from train stations to hotels etc.
Is there another Romantic Road town that would serve as a better 'base' than Rothenburg? (or are there any other day trips you would recommend from Rothenburg?)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Swiss Trip Itineraryand Charges
- 2 Island Hopping in the Cyclades
- 3 Petrol in Greece
- 4 Boston to Le Marche - which airport?
- 5 great hotel and food in Lyon
- 6 We're here!
- 7 New Law Regarding Vacation Rentals in Paris
- 8 Paris and London Christmas / NY EVE
- 9 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 10 Best method to travel from Antalya to Cappadocia?
- 11 Another tipping question: concierges
- 12 6-7 Days in France
- 13 International Flight Question
- 14 5 Days in Switzerland
- 15 Help!! 2 week Europe trip with 6 year old daughter in December!!
- 16 Destination from London by train, advice please
- 17 Where to weekend away from Frankfurt
- 18 Honeymoon on a Budget
- 19 Bremerhaven and environs
- 20 Which airport for Bellagio?
- 21 Trip Report Part 2 - Paris, France May 2016
- 22 Spain in July
- 23 Van Gogh Museum advice
- 24 Ireland in April-Day trips from Galway base
- 25 Full day in Sintra..what to focus on
Rothenburg ob der Tauber as a base for exploring other towns?