I will be spending a few days in Frankfurt before visiting Rothenburg and then Fussen. I want to see some nice towns along the way but I am not driving, so I would like to use Rothenburg as a base and then take day trips to Bamburg, Wurzburg, Nuremberg etc. by train.
(Therefore, I would like to stay in Rothenburg for 4 nights (and 4 full days). 1st day: explore Rothenburg. Other 3 days: day trips to nearby towns.) Is this a good strategy? My goal is to minimize the hassle of dragging luggage back and forth from train stations to hotels etc.
Is there another Romantic Road town that would serve as a better 'base' than Rothenburg? (or are there any other day trips you would recommend from Rothenburg?)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Globus Iberian Tour
- 2 where to stay between Salamanca and Zaragoza?
- 3 Jamikins? Other Italy travelers? Need car info, please.
- 4 My final Prague itinerary
- 5 Switzerland in September
- 6 Help with my trip to Paris and London
- 7 Last minute trip to Germany and Switzerland
- 8 13 nights in switzerland
- 9 10-Day Trip Planned..Need Recommendations
- 10 weekend from cologne germany
- 11 Earthquake near Naples
- 12 Greece - 8 days - Recommendations please!
- 13 London Theater
- 14 First time to Spain: Seville & Madrid
- 15 Uber in Rome & Lisbon
- 16 UK or France or elsewhere, July 2018, good price from west coast?
- 17 Estonia, Finland, and Iceland: Summer 2017
- 18 Driving from Rome to Sicily and back
- 19 Munich itinerary review
- 20 Tips for 2018 Eastern Europe trip
- 21 Birthday dinner in Salzburg
- 22 Christmas - New Year Holiday
- 23 3 weeks italy itinerary
- 24 3nights in Venice
- 25 multi city flights to europe
Rothenburg ob der Tauber as a base for exploring other towns?