I will be spending a few days in Frankfurt before visiting Rothenburg and then Fussen. I want to see some nice towns along the way but I am not driving, so I would like to use Rothenburg as a base and then take day trips to Bamburg, Wurzburg, Nuremberg etc. by train.
(Therefore, I would like to stay in Rothenburg for 4 nights (and 4 full days). 1st day: explore Rothenburg. Other 3 days: day trips to nearby towns.) Is this a good strategy? My goal is to minimize the hassle of dragging luggage back and forth from train stations to hotels etc.
Is there another Romantic Road town that would serve as a better 'base' than Rothenburg? (or are there any other day trips you would recommend from Rothenburg?)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 car rental
- 2 Munich and....???
- 3 Northern Italy in 2 Weeks?
- 4 Ambitious 1st time trip through Europe whilst pregnant??
- 5 Question about Loire Valley châteaux
- 6 Cyclades w/kids & my ruins-fanatic DH (itin and accommodation advice)
- 7 Scotland in 18 nights, smirr and sun and mud!
- 8 Trip planning to Paris, Lyon, Strasbourg
- 9 Portugal: 70th birthday trip
- 10 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 11 Another theft warning: coastal trains, between Genoa & Tuscany
- 12 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 13 Caution picking car from Europcar at Stazione Termini
- 14 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas
- 15 Northern Ireland ideas
- 16 Paris Neighborhood Help
- 17 Poor weather outlook 10/16-19 Grindenwald
- 18 Itinerary input for trip to Spain and France
- 19 Long weekend in Albania
- 20 ASTURIAS IN LATE OCTOBER??
- 21 Online Site for Alhambra Tickets
- 22 Just the wine list please and Daisy came too.
- 23 scotland itinerary
- 24 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 25 Stanbr and Lolly visit Eastern Crete
Rothenburg ob der Tauber as a base for exploring other towns?