Hi y'all from Virginia!
Well, we leave for España in exactly 4 weeks. Needless to say, we're excited. Most of our plans are in place: 2 nights in Segovia, a night at the Parador in Lerma, 2 nights in Salamanca, then on to Semana Santa at our Madrid apartment in the Retiro barrio. But there's one question I have yet to ask: which Bodega in the Ribera del Duero should we visit? We get into Lerma on a Friday evening (after stopping in Pedraza and...maybe...Sepulveda on the way). Then we'll head to Salamanca. We want to stop in Peñafiel on the way to see the wine museum at the castle--which sounds great--but a winery visit sounds really exciting. Here's what we are looking for:
--on the smaller side, or at least not too Mondavi-like
--fairly close to Peñafiel
--would take an appointment on Saturday
--somewhat inexpensive wines (I work for Trader Joe's so value is important!)
--kid-friendly (our 2 girls aged 8 and 12 will be with my wife and I)
--wines that are well-made but don't need to be the best of the best
Given the sheer number of bodegas (over 200) I am at a total loss as to where to begin. Any Fodorian help would be muy apreciada!
Ribera del Duero--which bodega(s) should we visit?
Hi y'all from Virginia!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 First Time to UK since 2001
- 2 A few ( stupid) questions 1st time to Paris
- 3 Two Dip-$hits go to Italy! Amalfi Coast, Rome and Bologna
- 4 Visiting Exciting Turkey in the Throes of Restoration
- 5 Five-Star Trip on a Three-Star Budget
- 6 "Or Like in Europe Where Folks Share Tables to Save Space"
- 7 Trip report: Kayaking, Riding and fall in Split, Croatia
- 8 Public holiday Prague 17 Nov
- 9 Croatia, Slovenia, Salzburg and Prague 3 week Trip Report
- 10 Warning NEVER BOOK at Castro Exclusive Residences Barcelona!
- 11 Italy Trip: Another Scrap With Friction
- 12 Mittenwald (or general vicinity)
- 13 Walking and Hiking around Nice
- 14 Top 10 Don't Miss -- ROI and NI
- 15 Loire Valley - Private Driver/Guide
- 16 ...Got a speeding ticket in Spain...
- 17 Live ( almost) report from Greece!
- 18 Backpacking Europe in the Winter
- 19 NCAA Pigskin Week Six ? Picks?
- 20 Tentative Itinerary for London & south east UK
- 21 Parma- Uh, Oops- Historic Dist. Ticket
- 22 Can you help me with an Oyster Card?
- 23 Travel between Madrid and Caceres
- 24 A nine day whirl through Istanbul and Cappadocia
- 25 60 Minutes: Scathing Review of Italy's Care of Cultural Heritage...