Spanish Wine 101

Search

Spanish Wine 101

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2004, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spanish Wine 101

Belong to a Winers club-we make homemade wine. At our meetings we talk about different wines, sample home made wine and storebought wines. Next meeting it's my turn and since I'm going to Spain, I have to give an "overview" of Spanish wine. Has to be short so we can get to the sampling part of the night! Any suggestions for the info part? Also would like suggestions on a couple of (store bought) bottles that we can sample (not too expensive though-remember we're used to homemade stuff!). Thanks.
Old May 31st, 2004, 01:43 PM

Check PJwine.com a great source for Vinos de Espana in the US.
Do you not get Wine Advocate or Wine Spectator? Both have had recent tasting results for the great '01 and nearly as great '02 Spanish gems.
FYI: the '01 Osbourne Solaz (80% Tempranillo/20% Cabernet Sauvignon) is a world class every day red for $3.99.
The NYT just published a good article about the relatively unknown Albarinos (white) from Galicia and the Albarinhos from Portugal to the immediate south.
Stick one of these absolutely delicious whites into any Spanish tasting!!!
Enjoy!
M
PS we'll be there in July
Old May 31st, 2004, 05:00 PM

I would recommend you wines from de Rivera del Duero Region, maybe a Torre Milanos (around 20 USD), a Pesquera (from 30 to 100 USD depending) or Mataromera (40 USD).

Regards
Old May 31st, 2004, 05:00 PM

I would recommend you wines from de Rivera del Duero Region in Spain, maybe a Torre Milanos (around 20 USD), a Pesquera (from 30 to 100 USD depending) or Mataromera (40 USD).

Regards
Old May 31st, 2004, 09:05 PM

Regardless of what you may do to your homemade wines, there is just no way of comparing them with what is commonly found in nearly every grocery store throughout Spain. Almost any wine you select that costs over 3 Euros will outshine your best attempts. It takes more than a few good grapes to produce a decent vintage, it takes skill, knowledge and a lot of experience. The selections are nearly endless as more and more great wines are produced in Spain.

Wines from the Rivera del Duero region are only one excellent example of what's available. The Rioja, both the Alta and Alavesa, between the Cantabrian mountains and the Ebro River, produces an excellent variety of wines, some equal to the best of what Bordeaux has to offer. There are also the areas of Navarra, Extremadura and Castile & Leon where the wines are excellent and in some cases, still unknown.

You can order some outstanding, yet relatively inexpensive wines, from The Spanish Table (http://www.spanishtable.com/), which has stores in Seattle, Santa Fe and Berkley, or pick from the excellent selection you'll find at the Madrid airport's duty free shop.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 11:50 AM

Robert2533, et.al,
I agree. Also, I just opened a $3.99 '96 Casa Solar ORO - another closeout here in DFW - very much a lesser Bordeaux clone without too much "stinky" oak. I'm going back for a case on Sat!
M
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 01:21 AM

Ribera del Duero are, without question, my favorite reds. Lots of bang for the buck. Currently a much better value than your average Rioja, because of the fame associated with Rioja. In Munich, if you pick it right, you can get a stellar bottle of Duero for 11-14 Euro. These wines really need to breathe, so you should be decant for at least one hour.

Rioja region wines are also excellent. However, you will pay extra just because the bottle is emblazened with 'Rioja' on the bottle, since this is the most well known type of Spanish red. Probably the most popular brand in the US is Marqués de Cáceres, which I find to be average--nothing really special. Also, you should decant most of these.