We are traveling to Scotland and England in September. We want to pick up a car at the Edinburgh Airport and drop it in York, where we will grab a train into London. I have read multiple posts about car rental in the UK and I am hoping for some advise to clear things up. I went to my bank and opened a new Visa card with a chip and pin so I can book the car with that card. If I use this card through the entire rental process, and decline the rental CDW, my card will cover any damage up to the value of the car and/or theft, loss of use and towing. I have read that I should book through Kemwel because they will advocate for me in the event there is an issue. Currently Kemwel has a "daily deal" on a Europcar for my dates. Looking at Europcar directly, the two prices are virtually the same. Should I book through Kemwel, or is Europcar reputable (I have read mixed reviews)? Alternately, I could book a Hertz car through Kemwel for about 50 USD more. Would this be a better option? We do use Hertz in the US and are gold members. (Price is much better through Kemwel, so I would not book Hertz directly.) Also, should I rely on my VISA insurance or buy it through the car rental company? I could save over 200.00 USD with my VISA insurance, which is more money to spend enjoying time in Scotland.
Please help, based on the mixed reviews I have read, it is seeming as if the car rental is the hardest part of the trip to plan!
Thanks so much.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Charming areas to explore in London
- 2 Transport from palace of versailles to Grand Trianon
- 3 BARCELONA! Tapas, tours & towers - flamenco, festas & food!
- 4 London/Edinburgh in a few weeks, what should I get done ahead of time?
- 5 Our Roman Holiday - 8 nights in the Eternal City
- 6 Nowhere 'safe' : London attack
- 7 9 days in Eastern Sicily
- 8 Weird trip - more time in A&E than sightseeing
- 9 After the Cinque Terre and before Genoa
- 10 What's the biggest mistake you made on a European trip?
- 11 8-Week Itinerary in Europe (for my 40th Birthday)
- 12 Our (Somewhat) Laid Back Tour of Old Fave Stops in Italy
- 13 2 weeks from southern italy
- 14 Another Question re Scotland
- 15 Italy trip with kids - planning help?
- 16 Puglia: A question about eating @ a masseria
- 17 travel around Spain
- 18 Guide books for Eastern Europe
- 19 Paris drinks/dinner GTG April?
- 20 A base for 5 days in Western Denmark
- 21 credit and debit cards
- 22 Where to stay in Umbria
- 23 Mosel & Ahr wine tasting visit for 4 nights
- 24 ENGLAND-SCTOLAND-FRANCE-need help travelling solo
- 25 First Trip to Ireland