We are traveling to Scotland and England in September. We want to pick up a car at the Edinburgh Airport and drop it in York, where we will grab a train into London. I have read multiple posts about car rental in the UK and I am hoping for some advise to clear things up. I went to my bank and opened a new Visa card with a chip and pin so I can book the car with that card. If I use this card through the entire rental process, and decline the rental CDW, my card will cover any damage up to the value of the car and/or theft, loss of use and towing. I have read that I should book through Kemwel because they will advocate for me in the event there is an issue. Currently Kemwel has a "daily deal" on a Europcar for my dates. Looking at Europcar directly, the two prices are virtually the same. Should I book through Kemwel, or is Europcar reputable (I have read mixed reviews)? Alternately, I could book a Hertz car through Kemwel for about 50 USD more. Would this be a better option? We do use Hertz in the US and are gold members. (Price is much better through Kemwel, so I would not book Hertz directly.) Also, should I rely on my VISA insurance or buy it through the car rental company? I could save over 200.00 USD with my VISA insurance, which is more money to spend enjoying time in Scotland.
Please help, based on the mixed reviews I have read, it is seeming as if the car rental is the hardest part of the trip to plan!
Thanks so much.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Suggestion for trip to Switzerland, Greece and Italy
- 2 Munich and....???
- 3 Spanish Medical Providers
- 4 Can parking
- 5 wondering if this trip too ambitious
- 6 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 7 From the Riviera to Rome: Two Terrific Weeks in Italy
- 8 Great Value Vacations - NOT
- 9 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 10 Looking for a 5 star resort on Spanish coast for January
- 11 Renfe AVE, Alvia & Avant Trains
- 12 Planes, Train, and, well, no automobiles
- 13 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 14 magnified mirror
- 15 Give 2 1/2 Days to Porto or 1 1/2 Days with Day Trip to Coimbra?
- 16 VAT refund transferring through CDG
- 17 Undiscovered Places in Paris
- 18 Need help with Honeymoon - Italy, Slovenia, Croatia
- 19 Driving through Paris
- 20 Itinerary between Milan and Venice
- 21 San Sebastián
- 22 So Many Places, So Little Time-17 Day Euro Trip--HELP!
- 23 italy Cinque Terre
- 24 Poor weather outlook 10/16-19 Grindenwald
- 25 Train from Polgate to St Pancras