We are traveling to Scotland and England in September. We want to pick up a car at the Edinburgh Airport and drop it in York, where we will grab a train into London. I have read multiple posts about car rental in the UK and I am hoping for some advise to clear things up. I went to my bank and opened a new Visa card with a chip and pin so I can book the car with that card. If I use this card through the entire rental process, and decline the rental CDW, my card will cover any damage up to the value of the car and/or theft, loss of use and towing. I have read that I should book through Kemwel because they will advocate for me in the event there is an issue. Currently Kemwel has a "daily deal" on a Europcar for my dates. Looking at Europcar directly, the two prices are virtually the same. Should I book through Kemwel, or is Europcar reputable (I have read mixed reviews)? Alternately, I could book a Hertz car through Kemwel for about 50 USD more. Would this be a better option? We do use Hertz in the US and are gold members. (Price is much better through Kemwel, so I would not book Hertz directly.) Also, should I rely on my VISA insurance or buy it through the car rental company? I could save over 200.00 USD with my VISA insurance, which is more money to spend enjoying time in Scotland.
Please help, based on the mixed reviews I have read, it is seeming as if the car rental is the hardest part of the trip to plan!
Thanks so much.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Italy- dolomites and cinque terre
- 2 Charming Balcony Hotel in Le Marais?
- 3 2 weeks Croatia Itinerary - Doable??
- 4 3 Weeks in Sicilia!!
- 5 Searching for a restaurant in Le Marais for Sunday lunch in August
- 6 Day Trips from Zug in Switzerland
- 7 PORTO (???) combine with Galicia??
- 8 Hotel Recommendations in Paris
- 9 Exploring Lisbon & where else?
- 10 Cortona -- just a passing thought
- 11 Late November with a 7-month-old - Portugal?
- 12 9 days UK itinerary help!
- 13 Greece
- 14 8 days in st Remy - surprise trip for hubby
- 15 Language course in Trieste, Northern Italy
- 16 Spain - day driver advice
- 17 Edinburgh to Falkirk Wheel to Glasgow
- 18 Day trip from Amsterdam for college girls
- 19 Charming hotels in Paris, please help.
- 20 Lisbon to San Sebastián to Madrid itinerary help!
- 21 Day trips from Seville -Granada, Cadiz&Jerez or white villages
- 22 This Pirate goes to Penzance, and then on to the land of Fire and Ice
- 23 London with Teens Trip Report
- 24 Single Parent with Tweens London/Paris
- 25 RS view on booking.com & the like