We are traveling to Scotland and England in September. We want to pick up a car at the Edinburgh Airport and drop it in York, where we will grab a train into London. I have read multiple posts about car rental in the UK and I am hoping for some advise to clear things up. I went to my bank and opened a new Visa card with a chip and pin so I can book the car with that card. If I use this card through the entire rental process, and decline the rental CDW, my card will cover any damage up to the value of the car and/or theft, loss of use and towing. I have read that I should book through Kemwel because they will advocate for me in the event there is an issue. Currently Kemwel has a "daily deal" on a Europcar for my dates. Looking at Europcar directly, the two prices are virtually the same. Should I book through Kemwel, or is Europcar reputable (I have read mixed reviews)? Alternately, I could book a Hertz car through Kemwel for about 50 USD more. Would this be a better option? We do use Hertz in the US and are gold members. (Price is much better through Kemwel, so I would not book Hertz directly.) Also, should I rely on my VISA insurance or buy it through the car rental company? I could save over 200.00 USD with my VISA insurance, which is more money to spend enjoying time in Scotland.
Please help, based on the mixed reviews I have read, it is seeming as if the car rental is the hardest part of the trip to plan!
Thanks so much.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Portugal and Spain Itinerary Suggestions
- 2 Can No Longer o a Road Trip in Europe - what's a better train trip?
- 3 BARDENAS REALES, Unesco site and national park in Navarra
- 4 So much to do, so little time!
- 5 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas
- 6 No Train On Kings Day Amsterdam?
- 7 The mouse munches her way through far off lands: The Christams Edition
- 8 8 to 9 days in switzerland with swiss pass
- 9 An hour and ten min enough for connection?
- 10 8 Days in Rome in March 2017 - planning thread
- 11 Itinerary Help - One week between Sicily and Rome
- 12 Eastern France - A TR in Pictures
- 13 Austria / Bavaria in late Oct/Early Nov
- 14 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 15 First-ish Trip To UK Itinerary Suggestions?
- 16 Notes on Venice, Bassano del Grappa, Garda, Cremona & Milan (Sept 2016)
- 17 Need help with itinerary & trains
- 18 House Hunting in France
- 19 English Countryside
- 20 Tour of Northern Italy
- 21 12 days itinerary - Netherland, Belgium & Germany
- 22 Cognac transportation?
- 23 Warsaw Pollution Reaches Record Highs...
- 24 Prague, Rome or Amsterdam
- 25 Manchester Airport Connection Time