When the Tour Montparnasse - erected besides the Montparnasse train station in the early 70s the tower has to many stuck out like a sore thumb on the generally harmonious level Paris skyline where buildings of more than several floors have traditionally been frowned upon and not given go aheads. Critics decried the sacrilege of this sleek modern tower's intrusion oin the skyline it cna be seen of course from all over town since it is about the only building inside the Peripherique (freeway that circles central Paris) that sticks up so high outside of things like the Tour Eiffe and some churches steeples.
Critics on the Montparnasse Tower crack that the best view of Paris is from the tower's observation deck because it's the only vantage point from which you cannot see the tower itself!
And they Parisians were equally bent out of shape when the Eiffel Tower went up for some Internatioanl Exhibition and was not taken down as it I think was slated too - many Parisians also called that a blight on the skyline but now it is the symbol of Paris.
Well I don't think the Tour Montparnasse of the new Triangle Tower (not sure that's its name but it does sport a unique traingular pyramid-like shape. It will sit on the far edges of Pafris proper - in the 15th arronidssement besides the busy Peripherique freeway.
So far a vote by officials is so close it is hard to call - but personally I'm all for the project, especially since it sits well away from the center of Paris and heck Paris is not a museum like Venice and has embraced many modernistic structures, like the Pompidou Center and the Louvre glass Pyramid, which was also decried when it was erected but now is accepted by many as a nice touch to the Louvre courtyard.
So what do you think - should this tower be given the go ahead or banned? How would you vote - I'd vote Yes!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Spain itinerary for sept/Oct?
- 2 Tips for 2018 Eastern Europe trip
- 3 Rhodes: New town or Old Town
- 4 3 days in Paris then on to London what do we have to see?
- 5 September Honeymoon advice (Paris, Switzerland and Italy)
- 6 places : Italy Austria Germany Switzerland France Belgium Spain
- 7 Europe's Most Famous Streets?
- 8 Is Dresden worth a day-trip?
- 9 Driving in Saint Emilion
- 10 European Sampler, 4 weeks, 6 countries?
- 11 Amsterdam and Antwerp?
- 12 Paris: Les Grands Voisins Project...
- 13 Shall we Gdansk?
- 14 Help us decide-- Ferrara, Mantua, Padua, Verona, Vicenza?
- 15 4 Greek islands- best way to hop?
- 16 Varenna to hotel near Milan airport
- 17 Jewish Vienna
- 18 Short time in Vienna
- 19 Itinerary Help: France in Late September
- 20 Budva or Perast in Montenegro
- 21 Munich to Hallstatt in a day
- 22 Best Date for Vatican Museums?
- 23 14 days from Frankfurt to Paris by train
- 24 Prague State Opera/ Verdi Festival
- 25 Switzerland part of 3-week trip