When the Tour Montparnasse - erected besides the Montparnasse train station in the early 70s the tower has to many stuck out like a sore thumb on the generally harmonious level Paris skyline where buildings of more than several floors have traditionally been frowned upon and not given go aheads. Critics decried the sacrilege of this sleek modern tower's intrusion oin the skyline it cna be seen of course from all over town since it is about the only building inside the Peripherique (freeway that circles central Paris) that sticks up so high outside of things like the Tour Eiffe and some churches steeples.
Critics on the Montparnasse Tower crack that the best view of Paris is from the tower's observation deck because it's the only vantage point from which you cannot see the tower itself!
And they Parisians were equally bent out of shape when the Eiffel Tower went up for some Internatioanl Exhibition and was not taken down as it I think was slated too - many Parisians also called that a blight on the skyline but now it is the symbol of Paris.
Well I don't think the Tour Montparnasse of the new Triangle Tower (not sure that's its name but it does sport a unique traingular pyramid-like shape. It will sit on the far edges of Pafris proper - in the 15th arronidssement besides the busy Peripherique freeway.
So far a vote by officials is so close it is hard to call - but personally I'm all for the project, especially since it sits well away from the center of Paris and heck Paris is not a museum like Venice and has embraced many modernistic structures, like the Pompidou Center and the Louvre glass Pyramid, which was also decried when it was erected but now is accepted by many as a nice touch to the Louvre courtyard.
So what do you think - should this tower be given the go ahead or banned? How would you vote - I'd vote Yes!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Suggestions for driving Cadiz to Zaragosa
- 2 Germany or Sweden
- 3 Trains in Italy
- 4 Austria & Switzerland- winter or summer!
- 5 November in Rome
- 6 Alitala
- 7 Whathello Paris
- 8 Trip report: Paris-Bordeaux-Barcelona-Madrid
- 9 Help me decide which major city to cut based on time of year.
- 10 Is This SIM Mobile Computer Plan OK?
- 11 Lisbon: Stay in the city or nearby?
- 12 PARIS
- 13 Germany vs Sweden nightlife
- 14 Rouen or Rennes to pick up Rental Car
- 15 Trip For Physical, Intellectual, Emotional Exercize
- 16 The Little Cyclades, Santorini, Vienna
- 17 Rome -- The next time around
- 18 Supplements in Carry on bag
- 19 Driving from Culzean Castle to Bamburgh
- 20 London vacation rental agency
- 21 Transport for local Venice travel
- 22 Possible French strike on 9/21
- 23 Campania in June, July, September
- 24 Truffles, Tajarin & Turin…Two weeks in the Piemonte Region of Italy
- 25 7 nights in Iceland, in July 2018