When the Tour Montparnasse - erected besides the Montparnasse train station in the early 70s the tower has to many stuck out like a sore thumb on the generally harmonious level Paris skyline where buildings of more than several floors have traditionally been frowned upon and not given go aheads. Critics decried the sacrilege of this sleek modern tower's intrusion oin the skyline it cna be seen of course from all over town since it is about the only building inside the Peripherique (freeway that circles central Paris) that sticks up so high outside of things like the Tour Eiffe and some churches steeples.
Critics on the Montparnasse Tower crack that the best view of Paris is from the tower's observation deck because it's the only vantage point from which you cannot see the tower itself!
And they Parisians were equally bent out of shape when the Eiffel Tower went up for some Internatioanl Exhibition and was not taken down as it I think was slated too - many Parisians also called that a blight on the skyline but now it is the symbol of Paris.
Well I don't think the Tour Montparnasse of the new Triangle Tower (not sure that's its name but it does sport a unique traingular pyramid-like shape. It will sit on the far edges of Pafris proper - in the 15th arronidssement besides the busy Peripherique freeway.
So far a vote by officials is so close it is hard to call - but personally I'm all for the project, especially since it sits well away from the center of Paris and heck Paris is not a museum like Venice and has embraced many modernistic structures, like the Pompidou Center and the Louvre glass Pyramid, which was also decried when it was erected but now is accepted by many as a nice touch to the Louvre courtyard.
So what do you think - should this tower be given the go ahead or banned? How would you vote - I'd vote Yes!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 LONDON - New Years Eve
- 2 Paris and London Christmas / NY EVE
- 3 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 4 12 Day Central Europe Itinerary
- 5 Paris hotels
- 6 Vienna, Austria for 5 days in early June
- 7 Car Rental in France (Insurance + Add'l Driver Questions?)
- 8 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 9 Budapest in December 2017
- 10 In Search of Montalbano - the ups and downs of 10 days in Eastern Sicily
- 11 Italy Sept 26-Oct 6 2017
- 12 Trek through Eur
- 13 Croatia Itinerary Help
- 14 After Beaune, need suggestions for the next 10 days
- 15 Swiss Trip Itineraryand Charges
- 16 Last minute (next week) London GTG?
- 17 Roma Pass
- 18 For a Taste of Four Cultures on Two Contınents
- 19 Amsterdam hotels
- 20 Denmark or Sweden?
- 21 Europe itinerary questions
- 22 London Hotels
- 23 Flying into Copenhagen (1st trip to Europe)
- 24 We're here!
- 25 Has anyone rented from Allinclusive! Rent a Car ?