I wasn't going to post this yet because I haven't reviewed but a fraction of my photos so far. With yesterday's tragedy I thought I'd post them now anyway. Such a beautiful and peaceful country.
I felt very safe the whole time I was there - country, city. In fact in one hotel where we were to set off from a hike I took my Garmin watch off in the restroom of the hotel (near lobby) in order to reapply sunscreen. I forgot to put the watch back on. It was still there when I got back.
Brief summary: Norway has been on my visit list for some time, primarily to see the Fjords. I knew very little about Norway before this trip and my one-week visit has whetted my appetite for more.
Doing a hiking tour with Backroads is a great way to see the countryside. Hiking is a must-do, here, and it's good to have a company who knows the ropes and who will take care of you. Someone to lug your luggage, know where the good hikes are, and bonus: a group of like-minded people for camaraderie on the hikes. Their hotel picks were fantastic (more on them later) and we lucked out with the weather. Eight nights in Norway and only one day of rain (a little bit on a few other days but at night which didn't affect us).
Flight into Bergen, one full day/night on my own.
Next morning I met the group in Voss.
Five nights with Backroads. We stayed at the Hotel Stalheim one night; two nights at the Walaker Hotel in Solvorn; one night at the Hotel Mundal in Mundal (also called Fjaerland); one night at the Hotel Viknes in Balestrand. Each hotel was chosen for both comfort and for the history. More on them later.
Last two nights on my own in Oslo at the Grand Hotel Rica. I flew to Oslo from Bergen.
We didn't merely hike on this trip, we also did a good morning of glacier climbing (Nigardsbreen - breen means glacier) and had a number of Fjord boat rides. In all, I saw three new UNESCO World Heritage sites on this trip, too.
I'll fill in more details about the trip later as well as continue to update the photos on flickr. If you click the link below you will get a smattering of photos but by the time I'm done I imagine I'll have three times as many included.
Enjoy the photos - it really is a beautiful country. So sad, so very sad for the people of Norway today.
Norway: Hiking trip with Backroads; photos
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Good book about 20th C. European history?
- 2 A day in Bordeaux - what to do?
- 3 7 countries in a month
- 4 Guided Tour on Coach vs rail and city tours
- 5 Adjoining Rooms in Rome?
- 6 Day trip to Lake Como from Milan Cadorna
- 7 Photography Trip Ideas in Eastern Europe
- 8 2 weeks in Spain
- 9 What I Did Right... and... What I Learned...
- 10 Where to stay the night between Naples and Matera
- 11 floods in Andalucia
- 12 Recommendations for a Paris Apartment Rental Agency
- 13 Barcelona next week, itinerary critique?
- 14 Rick Steves - Ugly American Again!
- 15 Pisa and Lucca in one day
- 16 Day trips out of Florence?
- 17 2 Days in Rome
- 18 4-5 Days in Switzerland before Paris? Is Berne the place to go?
- 19 Having a great time Romania
- 20 Rome Restaurant Recognizance
- 21 Hotel Santa Maria, Rome in the winter?
- 22 Portugal
- 23 Favorite things to do in London
- 24 4 days in lake region
- 25 My trip to Paris and Normandy June 2014