I wasn't going to post this yet because I haven't reviewed but a fraction of my photos so far. With yesterday's tragedy I thought I'd post them now anyway. Such a beautiful and peaceful country.
I felt very safe the whole time I was there - country, city. In fact in one hotel where we were to set off from a hike I took my Garmin watch off in the restroom of the hotel (near lobby) in order to reapply sunscreen. I forgot to put the watch back on. It was still there when I got back.
Brief summary: Norway has been on my visit list for some time, primarily to see the Fjords. I knew very little about Norway before this trip and my one-week visit has whetted my appetite for more.
Doing a hiking tour with Backroads is a great way to see the countryside. Hiking is a must-do, here, and it's good to have a company who knows the ropes and who will take care of you. Someone to lug your luggage, know where the good hikes are, and bonus: a group of like-minded people for camaraderie on the hikes. Their hotel picks were fantastic (more on them later) and we lucked out with the weather. Eight nights in Norway and only one day of rain (a little bit on a few other days but at night which didn't affect us).
Flight into Bergen, one full day/night on my own.
Next morning I met the group in Voss.
Five nights with Backroads. We stayed at the Hotel Stalheim one night; two nights at the Walaker Hotel in Solvorn; one night at the Hotel Mundal in Mundal (also called Fjaerland); one night at the Hotel Viknes in Balestrand. Each hotel was chosen for both comfort and for the history. More on them later.
Last two nights on my own in Oslo at the Grand Hotel Rica. I flew to Oslo from Bergen.
We didn't merely hike on this trip, we also did a good morning of glacier climbing (Nigardsbreen - breen means glacier) and had a number of Fjord boat rides. In all, I saw three new UNESCO World Heritage sites on this trip, too.
I'll fill in more details about the trip later as well as continue to update the photos on flickr. If you click the link below you will get a smattering of photos but by the time I'm done I imagine I'll have three times as many included.
Enjoy the photos - it really is a beautiful country. So sad, so very sad for the people of Norway today.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Happy accidents ,undiscovered gems -London, Paris
- 2 European Championship
- 3 Car Rental in Italy: Insurance Needed/Suggested
- 4 Parisian hotel lobby goes on the attack
- 5 12 days in Austria
- 6 Milan overnight or not en route to MXP with 2 kids
- 7 Salzburg or Cesky Krumlov??
- 8 St Andrews or Edinburgh
- 9 itinerary help for 14 days on Sicily
- 10 Barcelona - Tickets to Gaudi sites
- 11 Can't go to Ravello so....where?
- 12 Where to stay in Emilia-Romagna for best food?
- 13 Italy train strike - high speed trains?
- 14 Italy by Train - Sequence Recommendations
- 15 Will July 23 Become England's Independence Day?
- 16 Italy by car
- 17 Spain and Portugal for two and a half weeks
- 18 Off to Ireland again! Solo trip...
- 19 Fill 4 or 5 days for me please-Spain
- 20 Our Amalfi Coast Adventure—Orlando to Dublin to Naples to Praiano
- 21 Ireland in October?
- 22 Barcelona-Valencia- ??? - Barcelona
- 23 Driving through the Pyrenees
- 24 Going to Denmark, Norway – what is there to see?
- 25 Itinerary….Need help from Ireland Guru's
Norway: Hiking trip with Backroads; photos