I wasn't going to post this yet because I haven't reviewed but a fraction of my photos so far. With yesterday's tragedy I thought I'd post them now anyway. Such a beautiful and peaceful country.
I felt very safe the whole time I was there - country, city. In fact in one hotel where we were to set off from a hike I took my Garmin watch off in the restroom of the hotel (near lobby) in order to reapply sunscreen. I forgot to put the watch back on. It was still there when I got back.
Brief summary: Norway has been on my visit list for some time, primarily to see the Fjords. I knew very little about Norway before this trip and my one-week visit has whetted my appetite for more.
Doing a hiking tour with Backroads is a great way to see the countryside. Hiking is a must-do, here, and it's good to have a company who knows the ropes and who will take care of you. Someone to lug your luggage, know where the good hikes are, and bonus: a group of like-minded people for camaraderie on the hikes. Their hotel picks were fantastic (more on them later) and we lucked out with the weather. Eight nights in Norway and only one day of rain (a little bit on a few other days but at night which didn't affect us).
Flight into Bergen, one full day/night on my own.
Next morning I met the group in Voss.
Five nights with Backroads. We stayed at the Hotel Stalheim one night; two nights at the Walaker Hotel in Solvorn; one night at the Hotel Mundal in Mundal (also called Fjaerland); one night at the Hotel Viknes in Balestrand. Each hotel was chosen for both comfort and for the history. More on them later.
Last two nights on my own in Oslo at the Grand Hotel Rica. I flew to Oslo from Bergen.
We didn't merely hike on this trip, we also did a good morning of glacier climbing (Nigardsbreen - breen means glacier) and had a number of Fjord boat rides. In all, I saw three new UNESCO World Heritage sites on this trip, too.
I'll fill in more details about the trip later as well as continue to update the photos on flickr. If you click the link below you will get a smattering of photos but by the time I'm done I imagine I'll have three times as many included.
Enjoy the photos - it really is a beautiful country. So sad, so very sad for the people of Norway today.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 How big backpack do I need?
- 2 Is it just me or are German cities depressingly ugly?
- 3 France to stop making foie grois
- 4 Holiday Itinerary
- 5 Two weeks in Portugal in October
- 6 Sept. 2016 Apt. In Paris just cancelled---YIKES!
- 7 How much do i need?
- 8 Two weeks in Bosnia and Herzegovina
- 9 Venice, Maggiore, Jungfrau
- 10 First Draft: Croatia, BiH, and Slovenia
- 11 Road trip - Italian to French Riveria
- 12 Bavaria, Switzerland, Austria for Christmas...?
- 13 Istanbul - Would you go there?
- 14 How did you or your family ended up in the country you are living now?
- 15 AVE train tickets questions.
- 16 Greece: Final thoughts and pictures (I hope)
- 17 Interlaken-Lucerne Express 19th July- reservation required??
- 18 3 nights in St Petersburg, 3 in Moscow, Private tour vs. Group?
- 19 Germany, May'16: Four seasons in three weeks.
- 20 Sept Help Needed Hotels & Timing: Budapest, Prague, Berlin, Amsterdam
- 21 Greece or Spain in April with Kids?
- 22 Hotel to Seville train station -- how much time needed
- 23 Neighborhood Bistros in Paris
- 24 Path of the Gods Question
- 25 Loire Valley 12 days
Norway: Hiking trip with Backroads; photos