I'm starting the final month of my 5 month trip around the UK and would love some input on my planned route. I've read so many forum posts, hostel reviews, and train schedules lately that I'm going cross-eyed and would love some advice from others!
I'm currently in the Lake District and will be staying here until the 12th, when I journey to York for 3 nights, then to Chester for 3 nights. Those are already booked. From there I want to explore Northern Wales a bit.
I do not have a car, and won't be renting one, so am dependent on train/bus. (Incidentally, do people have much success hitchhiking in this area?)
Can I see Llandudno and Conwy in one day as a day trip from Chester?
And is Portmeirion a doable day trip from Betws-y-Coed? Or is it better to go from Llanberis?
I was thinking of something like:
Wed. 16: Chester (train gets in around 2pm, explore town)
Thu 17: Chester (more to do in town? Or is there another cool day trip?)
Fri 18: Chester (day trip to Llandudno and Conwy)
Sat 19: Betws-y-Coed (apparently a 1.5 hour train, explore town/area)
Sun 20: Betws-y-Coed (hiking/walking in area)
Mon 21: Betws-y-Coed (day trip to Portmeirion)
Fri 25: ?? To Manchester
Sat 26: Megabus Manchester to Edinburgh (leaves 7am)
Sun 27: Edinburgh
Mon 28: Edinburgh
Tue 29: Edinburgh to Glasgow
Wed 30: fly Glasgow to Vancouver
Do the day trips make sense? Is it worth staying in Llanberis anyway? Is there something obvious I'm missing out? And is the scenery different enough from the Lake District that I won't feel I've already been there?
So I am open to suggestions on how to spend the last few days, keeping in mind I would like to be able to connect back to Manchester. Really ANY suggestions are welcome. I'm not looking for anything particular, after 5 months I am a little travel weary and, while still excited to see something new, I am more than happy to open the floor to any ideas. As long as I can get there by transit!
Thanks for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 January 2018 vacation location ideas
- 2 4 days in end of august
- 3 Just curious--why Airbnb?
- 4 Malta or Canary Islands?
- 5 Luggage questions for train travel in Italy.
- 6 Where??-2 night trip from London
- 7 Help with Scotland Highlands Itinerary
- 8 First Solo Adventure
- 9 I Want It All in 13 Days, But I Know I Can't
- 10 Clueless, planning trip to Scotland
- 11 Crete Holiday
- 12 The Little Cyclades, Santorini, Vienna
- 13 Trains in Italy
- 14 Dordogne France, 6 days, 13 people!
- 15 transportation from Prague to Cesky Krumlov
- 16 Tour or self drive Douro?
- 17 Where should I go with my family?
- 18 PARIS
- 19 First Solo Adventure
- 20 Which Hotel in Rome
- 21 MaiTaiTom Gets The Royal Treatment…Two Weeks Exploring London and Scotland
- 22 1st Time to Ireland - what to wear?
- 23 SE ITALY
- 24 Honeymooning in Croatia - 2 weeks in August
- 25 Drive from Piedmont to Malpensa Qs?