I'm starting the final month of my 5 month trip around the UK and would love some input on my planned route. I've read so many forum posts, hostel reviews, and train schedules lately that I'm going cross-eyed and would love some advice from others!
I'm currently in the Lake District and will be staying here until the 12th, when I journey to York for 3 nights, then to Chester for 3 nights. Those are already booked. From there I want to explore Northern Wales a bit.
I do not have a car, and won't be renting one, so am dependent on train/bus. (Incidentally, do people have much success hitchhiking in this area?)
Can I see Llandudno and Conwy in one day as a day trip from Chester?
And is Portmeirion a doable day trip from Betws-y-Coed? Or is it better to go from Llanberis?
I was thinking of something like:
Wed. 16: Chester (train gets in around 2pm, explore town)
Thu 17: Chester (more to do in town? Or is there another cool day trip?)
Fri 18: Chester (day trip to Llandudno and Conwy)
Sat 19: Betws-y-Coed (apparently a 1.5 hour train, explore town/area)
Sun 20: Betws-y-Coed (hiking/walking in area)
Mon 21: Betws-y-Coed (day trip to Portmeirion)
Fri 25: ?? To Manchester
Sat 26: Megabus Manchester to Edinburgh (leaves 7am)
Sun 27: Edinburgh
Mon 28: Edinburgh
Tue 29: Edinburgh to Glasgow
Wed 30: fly Glasgow to Vancouver
Do the day trips make sense? Is it worth staying in Llanberis anyway? Is there something obvious I'm missing out? And is the scenery different enough from the Lake District that I won't feel I've already been there?
So I am open to suggestions on how to spend the last few days, keeping in mind I would like to be able to connect back to Manchester. Really ANY suggestions are welcome. I'm not looking for anything particular, after 5 months I am a little travel weary and, while still excited to see something new, I am more than happy to open the floor to any ideas. As long as I can get there by transit!
Thanks for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 K-Day
- 2 UK Visa Help
- 3 Cell Phone Question
- 4 Skye to Edinburgh
- 5 Provence best farmstays!!??
- 6 Which is the cheapest country (and gorgeous) in Europe?
- 7 Trip report (long): Greek Macedonia, some insights into London's airports and the discovery of perhaps the worst airline in the developed world.
- 8 4 Days In Northern Italy advice
- 9 Chime in on Portugal Itineraryy
- 10 Spain in December
- 11 advance tickets?
- 12 Help required with Itinerary
- 13 "Paris? Again?" And an odd pickpocketing
- 14 Como Bus to Bellagio
- 15 Greek Islands (small)
- 16 Where to stay in September in the Swiss Alps
- 17 Where to go...one month w/a one year old
- 18 Marseille vs. Genoa
- 19 Short stay London with Aussie kids or not?
- 20 tickets for the Tower's Ceremony of the Keys
- 21 What's the biggest mistake you made on a European trip?
- 22 Climbing Ben Nevis in June
- 23 Domestic Connection Times at Athens Airport?
- 24 Best place to park in Bath and Windsor
- 25 How early in the spring to visit London & England?