Our ship will dock in Marseille on a Saturday in mid-September from 8a-6p...which gives us about 8 hours of touring time. We've been to Provence several times driving around on our own, but never to Marseille, which in the past we've avoided. However, it looks like there are plenty of things to see there and some intriguing neighborhoods to walk around. It's still a larger city...perhaps still dirty & gritty...so would the experience be less enjoyable than taking the train to the more picturesque village of Cassis?
If we stay in Marseille, I'd want to tour the MuCem, Basilica of Notre Dam, Vieux Port, explore Le Panier...and of course, shop and eat Bouillabaisse.
I'd love to hear your thoughts about this..plus any other recommendations. Thanks so much!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 La Coruna or Santiago or both?
- 2 Rome or Venice first
- 3 What to do? Free evenings in Prague and Vienna
- 4 Restaurant suggestions in Bologna
- 5 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas
- 6 Shannon Airport - Mobile Data Card
- 7 Selecting the right Travel Pass (or not at all)
- 8 Rest in Peace, Colonel Chilcott
- 9 Europe First Timers
- 10 Norther Spain first Iteniary
- 11 Trip report: Portugal, Barcelona and Switzerland
- 12 Scotland - drive around or form bases ?
- 13 Criss-crossing the Camino: 5 weeks in Northern Spain (and a bit of France)
- 14 4 weeks entailing 1 wk Greece and 3 wks in Italy
- 15 Lake Como - Luzern - Germany (need help) - Amsterdam
- 16 Athens Help
- 17 Can you tell me about using "The Fork" for reserving and savings?
- 18 Paris GTG October 6 - 14?
- 19 Trip report for Budapest, Vienna, Salzburg, Munich
- 20 Lille Braderie 2017
- 21 Help with Greek islands itinerary-which islands to pick!
- 22 Are les plats ("Belon") oysters in Paris yet?
- 23 Cruising (not sailing) in Croatia..worried about noise
- 24 Thinking about the Fjords
- 25 Trip Report: Amsterdam and Antwerp, May-June 2014