Thanks to so many great replies to my previous posts, and after reading some wonderful trip reports, I've revised our itinerary for this summer with DH and our two sons, ages 17 and 15. They are fairly experienced travelers after spending a month in Italy last summer. I still need a lot of help with some specifics, so any advice would be most welcome.
The good news is that I'm still dealing with a blank slate, as nothing is booked. But I know I have to do that soon!
Here's what I have so far:
Fly into Brussels, stay 1 night in Brussels. Visit the Grand Place and savor chocolate and wine (maybe DH will have beer)
Train to Bruges, stay 2 nights in Bruges
Train to Paris, stay 5 nights in Paris
Train to Avignon, pick up car at station, drive to St Remy. Stay in St Remy 6 nights, using it as a base to explore the beautiful towns in Provence.
Somehow get to Switzerland and stay for 8 nights!
This is the part I don't have much on. We'd fly home from Geneva, but we'd like to do some traveling around Switzerland. Some places that look interesting are Lucerne, Lugano with the Palm Express to St Moritz, Chateau Chillon, Gruyere, Golden Pass train to Gstaad...
So, if anyone could help me with some intelligent way to do this I'd be so grateful. We could also drop a day off Paris to add more time to Switzerland...and even cut Provence down a day as well.
Switzerland has always been a dream destination, but I'm a little fearful of heights. When we visited Ezes a couple of years ago, I could not believe how steep it was! I enjoyed it, but was a little freaked out getting there! Please keep in mind that I'm not the type to do the daredevil luge type of activity--thanks!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 TGV route Avignon - Paris
- 2 4 nights between Zeebrugge and Strasbourg
- 3 Gelato course in Rome?
- 4 Seville in late January
- 5 Italy for the first time
- 6 Which Dordogne caves can be easily seen without advance reservations?
- 7 Drinks in Spain
- 8 RFID Protection
- 9 Earthquake info for Perugia and Assisi
- 10 Where to eat Paella in Valencia?
- 11 Berlin restaurant recs
- 12 Driving Tour - Bari to Bologna
- 13 Beaches in Southern France
- 14 Glasgow and surrounding area help
- 15 Norfolk base
- 16 Macedonia - the land of sun!
- 17 Eurorail pass or flights/local trains in Spain plus Lisbon for 21 days
- 18 3 days to spend in europe
- 19 from Charles de Gaulle to central Paris
- 20 3 Weeks in Italy near Milan
- 21 12 days europe
- 22 Heat wave in Paris? Learn to live with it!
- 23 Croatia Roadtrip: Plitvice -> Dubrovnik in August
- 24 Travelling to Shiroka Luka, Bulgaria
- 25 Two weeks in Portugal in October
Itinerary SOS: Belgium, France, Switzerland-where to stay in Switzerland?