Thanks to so many great replies to my previous posts, and after reading some wonderful trip reports, I've revised our itinerary for this summer with DH and our two sons, ages 17 and 15. They are fairly experienced travelers after spending a month in Italy last summer. I still need a lot of help with some specifics, so any advice would be most welcome.
The good news is that I'm still dealing with a blank slate, as nothing is booked. But I know I have to do that soon!
Here's what I have so far:
Fly into Brussels, stay 1 night in Brussels. Visit the Grand Place and savor chocolate and wine (maybe DH will have beer)
Train to Bruges, stay 2 nights in Bruges
Train to Paris, stay 5 nights in Paris
Train to Avignon, pick up car at station, drive to St Remy. Stay in St Remy 6 nights, using it as a base to explore the beautiful towns in Provence.
Somehow get to Switzerland and stay for 8 nights!
This is the part I don't have much on. We'd fly home from Geneva, but we'd like to do some traveling around Switzerland. Some places that look interesting are Lucerne, Lugano with the Palm Express to St Moritz, Chateau Chillon, Gruyere, Golden Pass train to Gstaad...
So, if anyone could help me with some intelligent way to do this I'd be so grateful. We could also drop a day off Paris to add more time to Switzerland...and even cut Provence down a day as well.
Switzerland has always been a dream destination, but I'm a little fearful of heights. When we visited Ezes a couple of years ago, I could not believe how steep it was! I enjoyed it, but was a little freaked out getting there! Please keep in mind that I'm not the type to do the daredevil luge type of activity--thanks!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Cheap Airfare to Spain
- 2 3 weeks in Italy...questions...
- 3 Please help with my almost 3 week itinerary for Croatia
- 4 Trip Report:Rome, Florence, Tuscany in December
- 5 Iceland or the Nordic countries in May with children ?
- 6 Doobie in Amsterdam
- 7 Need Apartment with Paris Balcony for Family of Five - Not tourist central
- 8 Paris authorities raid suspected illegal vacation rentals in 1er & 6er
- 9 Istanbul tour guides?
- 10 Andalusia itinerary comments & advice please!
- 11 Munich and Garmisch-Partenkirchen: a german trip report
- 12 Dublin Sites, Fun and Food
- 13 Would you give up time in Malaga for more time in Granada?
- 14 Not-too-expensive Bed & Breakfasts in Ranelagh (or central-ish) Dublin?
- 15 Vet my itinerary
- 16 London, Edinburgh, Italy..HELP!
- 17 Santorini - best place to stay in the Island
- 18 Another Book List for Italy
- 19 London theatre fans: advance info about Globe productions?
- 20 Italy - best two central locations
- 21 St Mont Michel, how much time do I need
- 22 England, Ireland, and France. What can I see in two weeks?
- 23 Rome, Amalfi coast September/October help
- 24 Public Transportation in Vienna: Borderline Organized Crime
- 25 Good and not too touristy restaurants
Itinerary SOS: Belgium, France, Switzerland-where to stay in Switzerland?