Thanks to so many great replies to my previous posts, and after reading some wonderful trip reports, I've revised our itinerary for this summer with DH and our two sons, ages 17 and 15. They are fairly experienced travelers after spending a month in Italy last summer. I still need a lot of help with some specifics, so any advice would be most welcome.
The good news is that I'm still dealing with a blank slate, as nothing is booked. But I know I have to do that soon!
Here's what I have so far:
Fly into Brussels, stay 1 night in Brussels. Visit the Grand Place and savor chocolate and wine (maybe DH will have beer)
Train to Bruges, stay 2 nights in Bruges
Train to Paris, stay 5 nights in Paris
Train to Avignon, pick up car at station, drive to St Remy. Stay in St Remy 6 nights, using it as a base to explore the beautiful towns in Provence.
Somehow get to Switzerland and stay for 8 nights!
This is the part I don't have much on. We'd fly home from Geneva, but we'd like to do some traveling around Switzerland. Some places that look interesting are Lucerne, Lugano with the Palm Express to St Moritz, Chateau Chillon, Gruyere, Golden Pass train to Gstaad...
So, if anyone could help me with some intelligent way to do this I'd be so grateful. We could also drop a day off Paris to add more time to Switzerland...and even cut Provence down a day as well.
Switzerland has always been a dream destination, but I'm a little fearful of heights. When we visited Ezes a couple of years ago, I could not believe how steep it was! I enjoyed it, but was a little freaked out getting there! Please keep in mind that I'm not the type to do the daredevil luge type of activity--thanks!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Corsica- Propriano or Porto Vecchio
- 2 Milan overnight or not en route to MXP with 2 kids
- 3 4 days driving holiday to rural North England.
- 4 12 days in Austria
- 5 Where to stay in Emilia-Romagna for best food?
- 6 Train questions for Switzerland
- 7 Italy by car
- 8 Quaint Towns within 2hr Driving from Amsterdam
- 9 Help planning!! 3 days between Kandersteg & Interlaken
- 10 Christmas in Edinburgh, Scotland
- 11 Will July 23 Become England's Independence Day?
- 12 Three days in Istanbul in August
- 13 One in Paris ... help
- 14 Switzerland Itinerary - cheese making?
- 15 itinerary help for 14 days on Sicily
- 16 Travel Safety in Germany & Switzerland
- 17 Scotland--transport from Dundee wharf to Edinburgh city center
- 18 Sardinia Italian's paradise
- 19 Are Munich and Vienna too similar for same trip?
- 20 Where to stay in Italy for a month in Oct/Nov
- 21 Florence 2 weeks
- 22 Melk/Wachau Day Trip from Vienna
- 23 Here I plan again....Amsterdam
- 24 Fill 4 or 5 days for me please-Spain
- 25 Can't go to Ravello so....where?
Itinerary SOS: Belgium, France, Switzerland-where to stay in Switzerland?