My husband and I are taking our very first trip to Italy this fall and I need a bit of advice on our itinerary. Here is our current schedule:
Sunday 9/2- arrive in Milan at 730am after traveling from San Francisco, rest all day,
dinner/nightlife in Milan
Monday 9/3- shopping in Milan
Tuesday 9/4- morning in Milan, travel to Florence by early afternoon train, late afternoon
and night in Florence.
Wednesday 9/5- shopping/exploring Florence
Thursday 9/6- explore Florence (possible morning trip to outlets for shopping) take
evening train to Naples, private driver take us to hotel in Positano.
Friday 9/7- cooking class in Ravello, rest of day in Positano (maybe boat to Capri for
Saturday 9/8- exploring Positano/relaxing
Sunday 9/9- 1pm flight from Napes to Paris, arrive in Paris, spend afternoon and night in
Monday 9/10- board 1pm flight from Paris back to the Left Coast
I am thinking of adding a quick trip to Venice in here. If I do it, it would be on Tuesday 9/4 leaving Milan in the morning on a train to Venice, spend the day there and either leave on a late evening train to Florence or stay overnight and go to Florence early in the morning on Wednesday and continue with the rest of the schedule as planned. Do you think such a short trip to Venice is worth it? I have heard that it will still be very hot, very crowded and very stinky this time of year and that we are likely to be miserable so its not worth cutting Florence and Milan short on this trip. I have also heard that Venice is amazing this time of year and we'd be crazy not to go. Please let me know what you think and if you think we should go should we just do the day trip or stay overnight?
A side note- Ive been told countless times that this itinerary is unconventional for a first time trip to Italy because we are doing Milan and not Rome. We are a fairly young couple (31 and 32) and are really into fashion. We would love to be able to stay longer and do both but this is longest we have childcare for back home so we felt we had to choose and then come back in a couple years to do what we missed this trip.. For us going to Milan and exploring the flagship stores of some of the great fashion houses is similar to an art-enthusiast touring the Louvre for the first time. In addition to the fashion/shopping, we are going to Italy for the food, the architecture and romance! We also love good nightlife which we are hoping to get in Milan as well. Thanks in advance for any suggestions/comments.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Madrid food advice needed
- 2 Need help in completing trip details
- 3 A couple last minute questions before my first trip to Barcelona
- 4 Burgundy or Languedoc-Rousillon
- 5 Split to Hvar
- 6 Paris for children
- 7 Southern Italy Help - Part 2
- 8 A week all around Sicily - May 2017
- 9 Please Help! Day Trips to Bern, Thun, Castles, and MORE!
- 10 Which area to stay in London
- 11 Sim card/Amsterdam
- 12 Villa Ephrussi Rothschild
- 13 Algarve - is it for me?
- 14 Amsterdam Anne Frank House
- 15 offline navigation for a tablet in Germany and Austria
- 16 Itinery help Crete
- 17 Naples + Walking Tour
- 18 Madrid, Andalucia, Barcelona in May
- 19 Purchasing Kosta Boda in Stockholm. Firsts and seconds
- 20 TIM in FCO - update
- 21 Trip Report- UK Gardens in May
- 22 16 days in France and Italy
- 23 Street parking in Barcelona?
- 24 Spain itinerary and railway advise
- 25 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz - Memorial Day Special