My husband and I are recently married but could not fit a honeymoon into our plans immediately post-wedding due to cost and time off work issues (we both started new jobs in the past 6 months and it was hard enough just to get PTO for the wedding). We will have a lot more time this winter and next Spring and are looking to travel to Bavaria thanks to the very generous gifts we received from family and friends.
I have travelled quite a bit. I've lived abroad in the UK and in Rwanda. I've also spent 6 weeks in Bavaria while in college, so I have been to Munich, Nuremberg, and have used trains throughout all of Europe. My husband, however, has not. This will be his first time out of the country as an adult and the first time he's ever flown for more than 3 hours. He's gung-ho about Bavaria because of our love of beer and German food, so it seems perfect.
However, I'm finding most flights incredibly expensive right now. When we priced them last year, they seemed to be around $1,000 out of STL (we live in Mid-Missouri) and $800.00 out of Chicago (the area I am from originally and could stand to take a train to and fly out of the next day) but now those costs are well above that ($1400+ for many flights we've looked at). I've never had money to spend on travel like this and we want to have a great time but we also don't want to spend the whole lot on our tickets. Is there a better time to fly? Maybe we 've been looking at this wrong? Maybe we shouldn't fly into Munich as I assumed we should? This will be the bulk of our upfront costs because we intend to rent an apartment to save some money and cook some meals in. We'd actually much prefer this to a hotel room regardless of cost because I have food allergies and it simplifies things for us in some ways.
People have also suggested we use a travel agent. I've never used one before but some people have suggested it. Is it worth it for something like this? Others have suggested going on a tour but since we mainly want to spend time loafing (honeymoon), taking a trip out to a castle my husband has always wanted to see, and drinking in beer halls, I think that is a bad fit for us.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Paris hotels
- 2 Europe itinerary questions
- 3 For a Taste of Four Cultures on Two Contınents
- 4 Trek through Eur
- 5 London Hotels
- 6 Flying into Copenhagen (1st trip to Europe)
- 7 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 8 Denmark or Sweden?
- 9 We're here!
- 10 After Beaune, need suggestions for the next 10 days
- 11 Has anyone rented from Allinclusive! Rent a Car ?
- 12 Norway, Sweden, Denmark
- 13 Swiss Trip Itineraryand Charges
- 14 Car Rental in France (Insurance + Add'l Driver Questions?)
- 15 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 16 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 17 Amsterdam hotels
- 18 From Portugal to the Pyrenees and onto Paris
- 19 12 Day Central Europe Itinerary
- 20 Which airport for Bellagio?
- 21 Paris and London Christmas / NY EVE
- 22 Where to weekend away from Frankfurt
- 23 Brugge hotel help
- 24 Five night Ireland Trip
- 25 In Search of Montalbano - the ups and downs of 10 days in Eastern Sicily