My husband and I are recently married but could not fit a honeymoon into our plans immediately post-wedding due to cost and time off work issues (we both started new jobs in the past 6 months and it was hard enough just to get PTO for the wedding). We will have a lot more time this winter and next Spring and are looking to travel to Bavaria thanks to the very generous gifts we received from family and friends.
I have travelled quite a bit. I've lived abroad in the UK and in Rwanda. I've also spent 6 weeks in Bavaria while in college, so I have been to Munich, Nuremberg, and have used trains throughout all of Europe. My husband, however, has not. This will be his first time out of the country as an adult and the first time he's ever flown for more than 3 hours. He's gung-ho about Bavaria because of our love of beer and German food, so it seems perfect.
However, I'm finding most flights incredibly expensive right now. When we priced them last year, they seemed to be around $1,000 out of STL (we live in Mid-Missouri) and $800.00 out of Chicago (the area I am from originally and could stand to take a train to and fly out of the next day) but now those costs are well above that ($1400+ for many flights we've looked at). I've never had money to spend on travel like this and we want to have a great time but we also don't want to spend the whole lot on our tickets. Is there a better time to fly? Maybe we 've been looking at this wrong? Maybe we shouldn't fly into Munich as I assumed we should? This will be the bulk of our upfront costs because we intend to rent an apartment to save some money and cook some meals in. We'd actually much prefer this to a hotel room regardless of cost because I have food allergies and it simplifies things for us in some ways.
People have also suggested we use a travel agent. I've never used one before but some people have suggested it. Is it worth it for something like this? Others have suggested going on a tour but since we mainly want to spend time loafing (honeymoon), taking a trip out to a castle my husband has always wanted to see, and drinking in beer halls, I think that is a bad fit for us.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Azores
- 2 What tips can you give about packing?
- 3 Planning a solo trip mostly to France, advice please!
- 4 Houses, Gardens & Walking in England
- 5 Amsterdam hotels during summer
- 6 Cotswolds cottage ideas
- 7 2 Months in Sicily
- 8 Madrid, Barcelona and .....
- 9 Splitting 11 days between Amsterdam and Dubrovnik
- 10 Sundays in Puglia
- 11 Como Bus to Bellagio
- 12 Train in Switzerland from Basel to Zermatt to Zurich
- 13 Experience with Earthbound Tours
- 14 Greek Islands (small)
- 15 Taking a high speed train from Rome, Italy to Venice, Italy for a day trip.
- 16 Scotland in 7 Days
- 17 Booking trains in Europe (Venice to Chur)
- 18 San Francisco retirees would like to move to Paris for a year- crazy idea?
- 19 What's the biggest mistake you made on a European trip?
- 20 Climbing Ben Nevis in June
- 21 Cascais or Algarve?
- 22 Souvenirs to collect while backpacking?
- 23 Advice on car and getting around Aeolian Islands
- 24 Bergen Hotel -- near Port ?
- 25 NO Luggage Storage at Padua train station?