Hi Helpful Fodorites
I asked about ideas on this a couple of months ago and I've about decided on what to do.
As a recap, I'll be flying into Athens from Paris on September 3 and will arrive about 5:30 pm. Three friends will also be arriving from the US about that time. They will be jetlagged, I won't. We have three nights before we all have to be back in Athens to meet the rest of our group of friends who will be arriving after us.
I'm wanting to go somewhere I've never been for those three nights. Arriving so late makes most flights and ferries impossible, unless we wait until the next morning. BUT, I've found a great sale on flights to Rhodes and there is a flight leaving at 9:20 pm that night. So, it's either three nights in Rhodes (really just two full days though) OR, renting a car at the airport and driving to Napflio for those three nights.
I don't want to stay in Athens those three days as I've been to Athens many many times and we will be doing Athens for two nights once the rest of our group arrives. We will also be going to Santorini and Milos on the trip.
What do you think? Any thoughts about what makes the most sense? Obviously I'd be doing the driving since my friends will be massively jet lagged. (This will be the first trip overseas for two of them)
I'll be finishing up work in France and so I'm looking to just regroup and recharge before starting to "lead" the group of friends through Greece. I love seeing ancient sights but also just soaking up the culture, food, atmosphere of Greece. I also enjoy hiking, kayaking and visiting beautiful beaches. Basically being outside.
Pros and cons to each place? Ease of getting from the airport to Old Town Rhodes? Ease of driving to Napflio? Is one generally more budget friendly than the other?
Thanks for all the help!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Can you recommend a hotel in Paris? What about Hotel Spendide Etoile?
- 2 Plitvice Lakes - is it worth it for a short visit?
- 3 30 Days in France with Family (6 y/o, 23 mo), what city to stay?
- 4 Current Paris vacation rental news...
- 5 December in Deutschland
- 6 If your question is "Is This Trip Crazy?"
- 7 Relaxing destinations?
- 8 Best places for 21 day family vacay w/ 5 year old?
- 9 Rome, Florence, Venice and back to Rome in 5 days...doable?
- 10 8 day outdoorsy Itinerary Help (Lake Geneva, Bernese Oberland)
- 11 Just beginning to plan trip to Croatia
- 12 Have You Ever Been Robbed in Europe?
- 13 Driving Tour - Bari to Bologna
- 14 3 Night Stopover mid September - What to see/do?
- 15 The unrequested appetizers in Portugal
- 16 Rome & Florence, 10-12 days or so
- 17 Please Help! Europe in 5 days!
- 18 Suggestions for our Itinerary for June in Italy
- 19 Norway night train questions for Norway in a nutshell
- 20 First trip to London and Paris, need your comments
- 21 Scotland Highlands
- 22 Four people, three countries, two weeks
- 23 Please help with Itinerary draft for 29 days in France
- 24 Lazing it in Lisbon; Notes and Rambling Thoughts from and Extended Stay
- 25 Novice needs help with Italy itinerary
Hi Helpful Fodorites