3 days in Greece

Search

3 days in Greece

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2006, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 days in Greece

My husband and I are going to Athens, Greece for 3 days, part of our 10 day honeymoon in Europe. What are the most worthwhile sites to see? What is a nice, but reasonably priced hotel to stay in Athens?
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 07:15 PM

National Archaeological Museum, Benaki Museum, Parthenon/Acropolis/, Goulandris Museum of Cycladic and Ancient Greek Art, The Plaka, Central Market. Take a ride up Lycabettus Hill in the funicular, have a drink in the cafe and watch the sunset over the city.

The Attalos Hotel is centrally located and reasonably prices. The rooftop lounge looks out to the Acropolis.
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 07:32 PM

If you have searched the forums you have probably found discussions about Athens as a travel destination...not to reopen old discussions, but many people find Athens much less attractive than other European capitals...it is a fascinating place and the destinations brotherleelove2004 listed are all great ones, but if you are committed to going there (as opposed to extending your time in one of your other destinations) I would suggest taking a day trip on one of your three days that will get you out into the countryside. You can take day trips to Corinth and Delphi, for example. I guess I just think it's a shame to go all the way to Greece and only see Athens. I would not say the same about Paris!
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 07:45 PM

I second the suggestion that if you only have 3 days, take a day trip to Delphi. Otherwise, if you like history, you'll be thrilled to see the Parthenon in person. Wandering the streets of the Plaka neighborhood and the side of the Parthenon is walking on thousands of years of history.

Vera
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 02:39 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I would add the Ancient Agora to brotherleelove's list.

You might be interested in my trip report, which describes a few days in Athens as part of a week in Greece last year. It is very long.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34589254