So soon (2013 or 2014, yes 1-2 yrs is soon in my book) DH and I will spend May and June living in Europe for each year to come after that! ( we've worked hard for this!)
So of course we will start with Paris as it's our fav!
Now when we come to Paris we are patrons of Guest Apartment Services and Paris Perfect( just so you know what we have been doing) and there's nothing to add how fab both companies are, but for 2 months our budget of $3000(low end) to $5000 per month(tippy top) won't fly for renting from PP and GAS for 2 months in high season( we are set on May and June, not living in Europe in low seasons).
While on research initially for apartments that eventually led me to PP and GAS, I've sorted through a ton of other agencies plus VRBO and Homeaway. I know there will be an apt that will work from 1( or 2 or 3 or more!) of these other sources
So dear fodorites what I need from you is recommendations based the criteria below if you have SPECIFIC apartments to recommend to help supplement my own continued research.
Here is our criteria for a 2 month stay. In addition I do certainly realize that as years go by prices will increase as well as apartments will go off the market,agencies will go out of business,etc.
Location: For living I have settled on the Marais (3 and 4) and the 11th.
My much preferred streets:
St Paul area,but prefer small streets than settling on Rue St Antoine
The streets directly around Place d Vosges: Rue Birague, Cour Benard, Rue Turenne
Streets behind Place d Vosges: rue Verlomme, rue de Foin, rue DES Minimes, rue St Gilles, rue DES Tournelles
Rue Charlot, Rue de Saintonge, rue Debelleyme, rue DES Arquebusiers, rue de Poitou, and all those little streets in this area of the above streets
The streets sandwiched in between blvd Beaumarchais and Richard Lenoir by both Chemin Vert and St sebastien Froissart &Filles Du Calvaire metros. Also like rue Sedaine, Rue de la Roquette and the small streets surrounding them, but want to be sure we are not on top or directly next to a noisy bar or restaurant as I know this area is fun, fun, fun, but can be noisy.
The Apartment itself
50m2 or more but not too much less than50m2
1 bedroom with queen or king bed with nightstands with reading lights
Bedroom preferably facing courtyard,but not absolute requirement
Lots of storage space ( we are there for 2 months after all!)
A work desk would be great for DH as he'll be doing investment work and needs to work comfortably ( this 2 months is for living,not a typical vacation, so life has to go on with some of our daily routines will stay intact)
A good sized kitchen, but I can work in a small but efficient kitchen. Just need some counter space, an oven, at least 2 burners, frig can be a mini
1 good sized bathroom, a plus if there is another bathroom with a shower and sink, but not absolutely necessary
Would be nice to have stereo system if possible
Couch and at least one good chair in living room
No IKEA furnishings
No loud colors, prefer softer shades of decorating
Modern or traditional decor is fine, we like both styles
Elevator. We can climb and if no elevator, try for a 1-3 floor
A/C: So I can open more possibilities and keep cost down, we can forgo this. I know at anytime it can get very hot, but really for May and June we will be ok. A few fans are fine.
So anyway, just let me know your thoughts with specific apartments for a $3-5K a month all-inclusive ( preferably less than 5K). We know that we might have to pay extra for housekeeping, thats fine as that will be just like here at home!
Thanks a mil....!!!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 2 days in Amsterdam after river cruise
- 2 Accommodations Amsterdam under 175€
- 3 2 Days in Tarragona...what to do ?
- 4 Sisi Ticket - skip line at Hofburg?
- 5 Postcards from Retirement - the Britan 2017 Edition
- 6 Bastille Day Fireworks, Paris
- 7 Paris and England, 14 days on the ground
- 8 Italica (Sevilla) or Medina al-Zahra (Cordoba)
- 9 Notes on St. Petersburg
- 10 Pienza vs. San Gimignano for 4 nights?
- 11 Appenzell in December?
- 12 10 Day Backpacking Itinerary
- 13 Switzerland for 2 weeks
- 14 Trip report: Derby, Whitby & the Scottish Borders (indy_dad's UK return)
- 15 Iceland in January/February
- 16 Getting to Naxos and Santorini
- 17 Advice for Time in Cumbria and/or Yorkshire Dales
- 18 Switzerland
- 19 Provence to Paris via Burgundy
- 20 WWI Battlefields
- 21 Single Parent with Tweens London/Paris
- 22 Swiss Trains not on time and boats not run at all - great time
- 23 Visiting Zurich
- 24 Haarlem or Amsterdam as Netherlands base?
- 25 Our short trip to Austria, the Dolomites and Bavaria