Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Three days of hiking and history close to Heathrow?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2012, 08:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have three nights to spend before flying out of Heathrow midday on July 12 and would appreciate any suggestions.
I'm looking for the following:
* somewhere accessible by bus or train within easy access (2-3 hours) to Heathrow
* riverside, ocean or country hikes
* interesting architecture, gardens, etc.
I've spent time in Bath and briefly visited a few Cotswold towns, although I could always do another. I have also been farther afield to hike the Cornwall parts of the Southwest Coast Path and would love to do parts in Devon, although that's probably a stretch with my limited time.
I'm considering Oxford but am curious about other locales.
Thanks!
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 12:22 AM

Would either the North Downs Way http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/Northdowns
or the South Downs Way http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/Southdowns
fit the bill?
Heathrow to Winchester is about an hour by direct coach or take the train from Woking.
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 12:30 AM

What about the Ridgeway? An ancient path if ever there was one.
http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/Ridgeway/

Or maybe the Chiltern Way http://www.chilternsociety.org.uk/about-ChltnWay.php

Obviously with only three days you could do all of either but you could choose a section of it walk.
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 02:46 AM

The easiest, of course, is to leave your bags at LHR left luggage, get the bus to Windsor, walk to Oxford along the Thames then get the bus back to LHR (www.thames-path.org.uk/).

Trouble is, it's 70 miles - which isn't my idea of a three day walk. Not everywhere along the Thamespath is on the railway either, as a result of monumental Luddism by the people of Abingdon in the mid 19th century. But most places east of Cholsey are: ultimately accessible to LHR by train, changing at Slough and Hayes & Harlington for the Heathrow Connect .

I'd get the bus to Oxford, walk to Tilehurst (37 miles) or Cholsey (26) then get the train back to the airport. It's not THAT tricky to base yourself in Oxford completely and bus or train to and from each day's restart point.
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 02:51 AM

Brilliant idea Flanner. Why didn't I think of that? .
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 04:29 AM

Because you don't spend a significant part of your life walking by, or crossing, the Thames or a tributary and saying to yourself as you do "I really must take a couple of weeks and walk the whole of this thing some time". There's even a variant accessible by public transport that doesn't even require an overnight away from home.

But there's clients to pitch to, more exotic destinations to see, guests to entertain and ...
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 04:33 AM

Since you have been to the south-west and the Cotswolds, then how about a trip to Wales?
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, all, for your wise replies. If I go the Oxford route, I see there are available rooms at both Keble and Essex colleges for about 98 pounds a night in Oxford. Preferences?
Or would you suggest a B&B on a walking path with bus connections to Oxford?
Also, Anna, I'd love to visit Wales, but it seems like a stretch for three nights if I have to be at Heathrow by 9:30 a.m. Then again, if there's a direct train, that could work.
Again, I much appreciate all the feedback.
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 09:20 AM

You'll struggle to find one Thamespath location, other than Oxford, with buses or trains to the other places you need to start/stop.

The idea of there being an "Essex" (just about England's most disdained county) College at Oxford is too funny for words (though given that there's a Balliol Road in Bootle,Merseyside, which is even more downmarket than Essex. maybe not quite THAT funny). Exeter (founded 13 something or other)is inside the medieval city walls, surrounded by other elderly buildings and photogenic pubs - and handier for the LHR bus stop. Keble (late 19th century, so seriously arriviste) is in a Victorian and later suburb which is - well, suburban - and a bit like an American parody of an Oxford college.
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Yikes. Excuse my typo. Thanks, Flanner, for giving me some invaluable tips and feedback. Sounds like Exeter will be perfect.
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 02:49 AM

swanny65, yes your time is pretty limited, it seems that you need to be closer to London, otherwise you would only have nights available and sleep the last night at Heathrow.

Another coastal town I would suggest that is close to Heathrow is the lovely seaside town of Brighton.
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 03:02 AM

Forgot to add - whereve you go, unless it is a direct train, make sure you leave some extra time for arrival to airport. You might easily get stuck in traffic, since that is the time many people would be driving for work. Also make sure that, if using a coach, it is a direct one, not with stops, otherwise you can never be sure of arrival time. That might also apply for trains, but I guess a lesser risk for sure. A very safe option would be to spend the night at an airport hotel at Heathrow or maybe a small guesthouse near. Some owners might even be so kind as to offer you a lift to the airport on the day of departure.

Enjoy your trip wherever you decide to stay.
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 10:51 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"<i> . . . close to Heathrow is the lovely seaside town of Brighton.</i>"

Brighton isn't near LHR really - it is about 70 miles away
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 10:53 AM

True, but nearer to heathrow than some towns and cities mentioned above. It is to be exact, I checked by google maps a 1hr 17 mins drive the most.
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 11:19 AM

The direct LHR to Brighton coach takes 2 hr 20 min to 2 hr 30 min depending on time of day. (and even driving one's own car would take nearly 2 hours) Still w/i the OPs 2-3 hr window, but Oxford and environs make much more sense IMO.
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 12:20 PM

<i>" . . . close to Heathrow is the lovely seaside town of Brighton."</i>

Each to his own I suppose, but I would never describe Brighton thus. IF you're into all night raves, hardcore clubbing and various forms of substance abuse you'll love it there. The OP seemed more interested in hiking and history, for which the likes of the Thames Path or the South Downs Way are eminently better suggestions.
Old Apr 18th, 2012, 02:17 AM

It was just another option for her to consider, I am absolutely sure that the OP is intelligent enough to look the places up, do some reaeach on transportation, plaaces of itnerests, etc and come to her own conclusions. I am sure nobody would just book to go somewhere without making further research on the place to make sure that it is to their liking. We are here to give suggestions and to make wider options.

I SUGGESTED this place because, if you read all her interests she did mention that one of her options would be near the ocean. And it is only 70 miles away, naturally you have to make time allowance for everywhere by coach or driving yourself, whichever city or town or village you you go to. I did clearly point out that it is always a bit risky to having to travel and catch a plane in the same morning. There is always a risk, if using coach, that you might get stuck in traffic because of traffic, an accident etc.

Personally, I liked Brighton, I was there quite a few years ago for a few days in late Spring. The walks on the pier were lovely, and the kids loved the fair and the ambience.I remember we had also visited the historical centre, there was a lovely palace and dome. But we opted mostly to stay near the beachfront and also met up with a close relative who was studying in the vicinity. So our long weekend was quickly filled up. In my opinion it is a nice lovely place, I would not know whether the OP would prefer to stay in a secluded place. As the above reviewer said, Wach to his own.

Of course we never venture anywhere near hardcore clubbing or substance abuse, you find that in many places, even in the loveliest historical cities, or even at so many beach resorts in Italy and everywhere.
Old Apr 18th, 2012, 07:06 AM

"<i> I was there quite a few years ago</i>" . . . Except for the Pavilion - a lot has changed.