Things are heating up as usual between Spain and British-owned (but locally autonomous) Gibraltar and now Madrid is considering a 50 euro fee to just enter this backwater that Spain claims should be its territory and not Britain's.
So if thinking of Gibraltar you may not only have to pay to enter but also go through long waits at Customs to leave as Spanish authorities, the article says, are meticulously searching leaving folks for cigarettes and tobacco - which are much cheaper on the Rock than just across the frontier in Spain - see the astounding number of cigarettes imported into Gibraltar - enough to have every man woman and child puffing constantly day and night.
Gibraltar is one of the very most fascinating places I have been but I'm not sure I would have forked over 50 euros to see this few-square mile of Rock - though the tail-less apes may make it all worthwhile!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Kroller-Muller - Paleis Het Loo - Maurithuis
- 2 Specific phone service questions about Italy & Amsterdam
- 3 3 days in Normandy (with an 8 year old)
- 4 The Dordogne & Loire Valley?
- 5 Thrift Stores in Paris
- 6 "Paris? Again?" And an odd pickpocketing
- 7 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 8 Opinion on sights in Florence
- 9 Barcelona, Bilboa, Cuena, Madrid
- 10 Help needed for our trip to Munich, Salzburg, Prague & Vienna
- 11 dinner jackets
- 12 10 days Greece in mid-Sept 2017
- 13 2 weeks Europe trip
- 14 Krakow and Prague-one week
- 15 Transportation
- 16 Help needed/wanted to central/east Europe
- 17 4 days in Provence in early June
- 18 Lodging in Zurich and Lucerne?
- 19 Leather goods in Florence
- 20 Security -- day pack at museums +
- 21 Italy Hotel Recommondations
- 22 France Itinerary Advice
- 23 Trip to Rome
- 24 Torre Sponda apartments in Positano- anyone familiar?
- 25 Planning trip to Barcelona. Madrid and Tossa Del Mar