Things are heating up as usual between Spain and British-owned (but locally autonomous) Gibraltar and now Madrid is considering a 50 euro fee to just enter this backwater that Spain claims should be its territory and not Britain's.
So if thinking of Gibraltar you may not only have to pay to enter but also go through long waits at Customs to leave as Spanish authorities, the article says, are meticulously searching leaving folks for cigarettes and tobacco - which are much cheaper on the Rock than just across the frontier in Spain - see the astounding number of cigarettes imported into Gibraltar - enough to have every man woman and child puffing constantly day and night.
Gibraltar is one of the very most fascinating places I have been but I'm not sure I would have forked over 50 euros to see this few-square mile of Rock - though the tail-less apes may make it all worthwhile!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 French restaurants
- 2 Ger's Trip to Rome & Bologna
- 3 UK in July -- early planning stages
- 4 More earthquakes in central Italy
- 5 Itinerary help for first trip to Greece
- 6 Tour groups
- 7 Driving in Italy?
- 8 family holiday Rome&Venice
- 9 Back from Bologna, trip report
- 10 Ireland Trip Planning Advice
- 11 Luggage Storage at Barcelona Port
- 12 Super Cover For Hertz
- 13 First-ish Trip To UK Itinerary Suggestions?
- 14 Amalfi coast hotel recs
- 15 Baby Milk
- 16 Switzerland 8 day itinerary in May
- 17 Advice for 5 Weeks in the Nordic Countries
- 18 Spain-Portugal family trip. car or train ?
- 19 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 20 Hotel in Vienna
- 21 Church service in Dubrovnik
- 22 3-4 days Netherland trip
- 23 Base for wine tasting and last night in Lisbon
- 24 Can No Longer o a Road Trip in Europe - what's a better train trip?
- 25 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas