Things are heating up as usual between Spain and British-owned (but locally autonomous) Gibraltar and now Madrid is considering a 50 euro fee to just enter this backwater that Spain claims should be its territory and not Britain's.
So if thinking of Gibraltar you may not only have to pay to enter but also go through long waits at Customs to leave as Spanish authorities, the article says, are meticulously searching leaving folks for cigarettes and tobacco - which are much cheaper on the Rock than just across the frontier in Spain - see the astounding number of cigarettes imported into Gibraltar - enough to have every man woman and child puffing constantly day and night.
Gibraltar is one of the very most fascinating places I have been but I'm not sure I would have forked over 50 euros to see this few-square mile of Rock - though the tail-less apes may make it all worthwhile!
Gibraltar - 50 Euros to Enter?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Trip report: Milan and Lake Como
- 2 Amalfi Coast vs Greece
- 3 Please help us maximize our time in each European city
- 4 Scotland trip report July 2014, chapter 1
- 5 17 amazing days in Tuscany, Positano and Rome – June 2014!
- 6 Outerwear France Beginning of September
- 7 How many bus/metro rides in Paris is too many in a day?
- 8 Cheap Traveling in Spain
- 9 How long in Venice?
- 10 Guesthouses in Dublin
- 11 Two Bonnie Lasses: A Road Trip from Edinburgh to London
- 12 Travel from Positano to Rome in Sept
- 13 Getting cash in Spain
- 14 Help with extended vacation / move to Italy with little ones …
- 15 Cotswolds village base
- 16 Need advice on Northern Spain itinerary
- 17 First Time Going to Europe
- 18 Two bedroom apt in Venice?
- 19 Looking for review of 1-day Pompeii/Naples Itinerary Please
- 20 Traveling mid-august in UK and Ireland
- 21 Italy Itinerary help - leaving in <2 weeks
- 22 Moscow AND St Petersburg
- 23 International driving permit required in France?
- 24 POLAND October,2013! Overdue trip report
- 25 Hotel in Rome?