Things are heating up as usual between Spain and British-owned (but locally autonomous) Gibraltar and now Madrid is considering a 50 euro fee to just enter this backwater that Spain claims should be its territory and not Britain's.
So if thinking of Gibraltar you may not only have to pay to enter but also go through long waits at Customs to leave as Spanish authorities, the article says, are meticulously searching leaving folks for cigarettes and tobacco - which are much cheaper on the Rock than just across the frontier in Spain - see the astounding number of cigarettes imported into Gibraltar - enough to have every man woman and child puffing constantly day and night.
Gibraltar is one of the very most fascinating places I have been but I'm not sure I would have forked over 50 euros to see this few-square mile of Rock - though the tail-less apes may make it all worthwhile!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 France: advice on where to go with young kids
- 2 Walking GPS?
- 3 Capri, Amalfi Coast, Naples in late June/early July
- 4 Whirlwind Italy in 16 days
- 5 Edinburgh Nightlife
- 6 London theatre fans: advance info about Globe productions?
- 7 St Petersburg 3 day Shore Tours from Cruise
- 8 To St. Pancras at stupid-o'clock: how would you do it?
- 9 12 days in the Italian Lakes
- 10 Hi altitude limitations in Switzerland
- 11 Rome to Cascia - is it better by train or bus?
- 12 Cost of Van from CDG
- 13 Portugal trains
- 14 Gas/Petrol shortages in France?
- 15 Input on this 8 Day London Itinerary
- 16 Edinburgh-London-Paris in that order
- 17 Food glorious food - restaurant suggestions
- 18 Book recommendation: Non-travel book about the Dolomites
- 19 AVE Train ticket purchase in Spain
- 20 Bus to Cadaques ?
- 21 Italy- 18nights, 4 regions!
- 22 5 hours in Genoa or next to Genoa?
- 23 The Impact of AirBnB in Paris
- 24 New Dublin Museum
- 25 The most interesting city/town in the UK-in your opinion