Things are heating up as usual between Spain and British-owned (but locally autonomous) Gibraltar and now Madrid is considering a 50 euro fee to just enter this backwater that Spain claims should be its territory and not Britain's.
So if thinking of Gibraltar you may not only have to pay to enter but also go through long waits at Customs to leave as Spanish authorities, the article says, are meticulously searching leaving folks for cigarettes and tobacco - which are much cheaper on the Rock than just across the frontier in Spain - see the astounding number of cigarettes imported into Gibraltar - enough to have every man woman and child puffing constantly day and night.
Gibraltar is one of the very most fascinating places I have been but I'm not sure I would have forked over 50 euros to see this few-square mile of Rock - though the tail-less apes may make it all worthwhile!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Day Trips from Venice with Tweens / Teens
- 2 Public Transportation in Vienna: Borderline Organized Crime
- 3 My Fundraising Dream in Paris
- 4 daily itinerary ideas for southern Languedoc and Rousillon
- 5 Istanbul tour guides?
- 6 St Remy area for Provence base?
- 7 Rent in Paris - Long stay
- 8 London and Paris 13 day HS graduation trip
- 9 3 months to travel Europe!
- 10 student in denmark
- 11 Tower of London for the "sensitive"
- 12 What to see in Dresden...
- 13 Switzerland itinerary help request
- 14 Information about Bad Schandau, Germany
- 15 Sienna with kids
- 16 3 weeks in Italy...questions...
- 17 Car hire Uk/Ireland
- 18 Day River trips from Porto
- 19 Ireland Itinerary Help
- 20 Back to Bari--Basilicata Itinerary Musings
- 21 Just in case anyone is wondering.....
- 22 Places to visits near Porto
- 23 Croatia, Slovenia, Austria with Preschoolers
- 24 Tour or independent
- 25 Vet my itinerary