Things are heating up as usual between Spain and British-owned (but locally autonomous) Gibraltar and now Madrid is considering a 50 euro fee to just enter this backwater that Spain claims should be its territory and not Britain's.
So if thinking of Gibraltar you may not only have to pay to enter but also go through long waits at Customs to leave as Spanish authorities, the article says, are meticulously searching leaving folks for cigarettes and tobacco - which are much cheaper on the Rock than just across the frontier in Spain - see the astounding number of cigarettes imported into Gibraltar - enough to have every man woman and child puffing constantly day and night.
Gibraltar is one of the very most fascinating places I have been but I'm not sure I would have forked over 50 euros to see this few-square mile of Rock - though the tail-less apes may make it all worthwhile!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Help me make this possible!
- 2 Need advice on multi-day, multi-museum private tours in Paris
- 3 Vatican tour
- 4 Solo in Paris and looking for the best neighborhood
- 5 First Trip to Italy- Help!
- 6 Paris..The St. Germain area.
- 7 Couscous
- 8 Renting a car for France thru BritishAirways.com instead of AutoEurope
- 9 Lisbon
- 10 Seeking scenic route from Bala, Wales to london
- 11 Help Planning Seot 2017 Trip to Andalusia
- 12 Problem using American bank card in Turkey
- 13 Italian lake cruise
- 14 8-days in Greece, Rhodes or Crete?
- 15 Greek honeymoon: He wants sightseeing, she wants beaches
- 16 Tuscany Itinerary
- 17 Paris: Museums, food and wine -- May 2017
- 18 Has the Paris Museum Pass lost its luster?
- 19 Why do you visit X or Y?
- 20 Cycling Nice into Italy along the coast
- 21 Madrid and Andalucia Itinerary and Travel Advice
- 22 Best Barcelona neighborhood
- 23 One evening : Lausanne or Geneve ?
- 24 8 days vacation to Switzerland & Austria
- 25 London in Winter Report