Things are heating up as usual between Spain and British-owned (but locally autonomous) Gibraltar and now Madrid is considering a 50 euro fee to just enter this backwater that Spain claims should be its territory and not Britain's.
So if thinking of Gibraltar you may not only have to pay to enter but also go through long waits at Customs to leave as Spanish authorities, the article says, are meticulously searching leaving folks for cigarettes and tobacco - which are much cheaper on the Rock than just across the frontier in Spain - see the astounding number of cigarettes imported into Gibraltar - enough to have every man woman and child puffing constantly day and night.
Gibraltar is one of the very most fascinating places I have been but I'm not sure I would have forked over 50 euros to see this few-square mile of Rock - though the tail-less apes may make it all worthwhile!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Requesting feedback on proposed itinerary—London, Cornwall, and Wales, June 2018
- 2 So Many Places, So Little Time-17 Day Euro Trip--HELP!
- 3 Stanbr and Lolly visit Eastern Crete
- 4 Great Value Vacations - NOT
- 5 Restaurant recs for French food in Montreux and surrounding area
- 6 Paris to Italy
- 7 Travel from Lisbon to Amsterdam to Boston
- 8 Poor weather outlook 10/16-19 Grindenwald
- 9 Christmas Markets France/Germany
- 10 Rome or Lisbon during end of November? Please help me pick
- 11 Spanish Medical Providers
- 12 Sicily in feb? If not, where to from Israel?
- 13 Day Trips from Kaiserslautern During Winter Holidays?
- 14 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 15 Barcelona alternative
- 16 London Under the Path: Riding the Underground Mail Rail Line
- 17 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 18 wondering if this trip too ambitious
- 19 Road trip with our dog
- 20 Greek Islands - Which to use as our base?
- 21 Driving through Paris
- 22 lurento sports car rental - anyone?
- 23 Need help with ideas for stopover location
- 24 Cyclades w/kids & my ruins-fanatic DH (itin and accommodation advice)
- 25 Train Questions: Getting a Train to Bruges And One Random Question