Things are heating up as usual between Spain and British-owned (but locally autonomous) Gibraltar and now Madrid is considering a 50 euro fee to just enter this backwater that Spain claims should be its territory and not Britain's.
So if thinking of Gibraltar you may not only have to pay to enter but also go through long waits at Customs to leave as Spanish authorities, the article says, are meticulously searching leaving folks for cigarettes and tobacco - which are much cheaper on the Rock than just across the frontier in Spain - see the astounding number of cigarettes imported into Gibraltar - enough to have every man woman and child puffing constantly day and night.
Gibraltar is one of the very most fascinating places I have been but I'm not sure I would have forked over 50 euros to see this few-square mile of Rock - though the tail-less apes may make it all worthwhile!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Rome, Florence, Venice and back to Rome in 5 days...doable?
- 2 Driving Tour - Bari to Bologna
- 3 3 Night Stopover mid September - What to see/do?
- 4 30 Days in France with Family (6 y/o, 23 mo), what city to stay?
- 5 The unrequested appetizers in Portugal
- 6 Can you recommend a hotel in Paris? What about Hotel Spendide Etoile?
- 7 Have You Ever Been Robbed in Europe?
- 8 Best places for 21 day family vacay w/ 5 year old?
- 9 Rome & Florence, 10-12 days or so
- 10 Please Help! Europe in 5 days!
- 11 Suggestions for our Itinerary for June in Italy
- 12 Norway night train questions for Norway in a nutshell
- 13 8 day outdoorsy Itinerary Help (Lake Geneva, Bernese Oberland)
- 14 First trip to London and Paris, need your comments
- 15 Scotland Highlands
- 16 Four people, three countries, two weeks
- 17 Please help with Itinerary draft for 29 days in France
- 18 Just beginning to plan trip to Croatia
- 19 Lazing it in Lisbon; Notes and Rambling Thoughts from and Extended Stay
- 20 Current Paris vacation rental news...
- 21 Novice needs help with Italy itinerary
- 22 Help/Advice From Irish Locals and Experts
- 23 Lunch restaurant near Modena Acetias
- 24 venice/slovenia/croatia
- 25 Feedback on Spain Trip