I will be traveling with a companion in August/September to Spain for the first time. We are planning a 10 day trip (not including travel days). Here is a base itinerary. I'd love to get any feedback and ideas back for this plan. Here are some of the things I've done in the past: Walkable areas, hiking, definitely trying local food, seeing unique architecture, coastal cities (we both love the water and such), and a handful of museums/art (I enjoy these, companion doesn't).
Day One: Fly into Madrid overnight, arriving around lunch to Madrid
- I know I've heard from Fodorites in the past around not planning much day you arrive, but we've so far been able to do this without issue after a quick nap when arriving.
Day Two/Day Three: Hang out in Madrid for two full days
- Any specific food suggestions/restaurants?
- Specific sites to see?
- Where to stay (geographically central)?
- Finally, what is the best way to get around the city? Walking or public transit?
Day 4: Travel from Madrid to Toledo for part of the day and go to the sword making shops and other fun sites (again, any suggestions in Toledo would be great). Then planning to take a night train from Toledo to Valencia.
- Is it best to stay longer in Toledo?
Day 5/6: Spend days in Valencia similar to time in Madrid
Day 7: Travel from Valencia to Barcelona, spend day in Barcelona
Days 8, 9: Spend two days in Barcelona
Then the question is this, I really want to go over to Majorca or Menorca for some time, but I've just left a day (day 10) for that. I could fly back on day 11 prior to flying home (flying out of Barcelona), but I want to be sure I get a taste of the islands as that has always been one of my favorite parts of traveling (seeing the coastal cities, islands).
Any thoughts and additional things I missed are welcomed. Looking forward to the input!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Hello@ ☎ 1:800:681:7208 MCAFEE Install CONTACTs MCAFEE Technical Care
- 2 Train transfer questions and safety - France/NL/Belgium/UK
- 3 Driving Prague to Zurich to Amsterdam w/ 2 toddlers
- 4 Iphone 6 usage in multiple European Countries
- 5 Zermatt this weekend, a good idea looking at the weather?
- 6 Transportation from Westport via Athlone to Belturbet or Ballinamore area
- 7 Where Would You? (1 random night in Dec btwn Bologna and Montepulciano)
- 8 Studying art in English in venice
- 9 Trip Report: Italy with the bambinos!
- 10 What Can We Do to Help A Refugee Family in France?
- 11 Please help: Swiss Pass/Lucerne/Engadine?
- 12 Swiss Pass vs Half Fare Card??
- 13 Greek Mainland Itinerary
- 14 Trip Report: Austria - salt mine, ice cave, Habsburgs' Summer Palace
- 15 Suppose to leave on the 24th, still no visa
- 16 Berlin to ?
- 17 Any suggested guide or tour companies for the Acropolis?
- 18 Connecting rooms for 2 families in Amsterdam?
- 19 Paris Perfect Legal?
- 20 Trogir or Split
- 21 Day tour from Edinburgh - Hairy Coo v/s Rabies?
- 22 Scotland
- 23 Hotels in Turin
- 24 Late November with a 7-month-old - Portugal?
- 25 Istria in two days