While I have traveled a bit, my husband has never set foot outside of the United States. We have a chance to take 2 weeks and travel to Europe. I need some seasoned people to offer very particular advice.
My greatest interest is that my husband has the chance to see that there are places in the world where people value art and culture, where food is not just made to stuff your face, where life is savored and family is valued, where people work to live and not live to work. I want him to see cities where not everything is owned by monolithic companies, where supermarkets are less frequent than "mom & pop" stores, to taste food that is not ALWAYS made of the cheapest ingredients, to witness the fact that some of the rest of the world REALLY cares about green living. Also, I'd like him to see some natural beauty.
I think that sums it up. So.... the question is, with all this in mind, which country in Europe should I focus on to achieve this goal?
Thank you in advance.
First time outside of the United States.....Where to go?
- 1 Naples on Christmas Eve--Beluga Bar or George's?
- 2 Prague - must see
- 3 2 weeks in UK to visit my daughter at Queen Mary Univ Dec 15-28 2013
- 4 Question-- York & North York Moors
- 5 Two weeks in Northern Italy - what do you think of our outline?
- 6 Spain - Andalucia
- 7 2 Week(ish) Italian Honeymoon Itinerary Help - First Time Europe Travelers
- 8 Home from Rome - a trip report
- 9 Car in Prague
- 10 Euro Train
- 11 New to Fodors: Please help with beginning stages of husband/wife trip
- 12 Planning 4 nights S / SE of London for my parents in their late 60s
- 13 A still, a hooker and a Dodo bird. Paris and Oberkirch.
- 14 My first visit to Ireland, next year.
- 15 Need info on smoking in Dijon area
- 16 Lucerne & Zurich
- 17 Banking for semester in London; what to do US students do?
- 18 Sagrada Familia - which tower?
- 19 Turkey Experts: Need Itinerary help - mostly with order of trip
- 20 Stories from London, France, Italy & more - Trip Report
- 21 Place to propose
- 22 France and Spain Travel Itinerary
- 23 Alsa Bus between Portugal and Spain
- 24 Eurostar/Raileurope Advance Booking
- 25 Revised itinerary needs approval