While I have traveled a bit, my husband has never set foot outside of the United States. We have a chance to take 2 weeks and travel to Europe. I need some seasoned people to offer very particular advice.
My greatest interest is that my husband has the chance to see that there are places in the world where people value art and culture, where food is not just made to stuff your face, where life is savored and family is valued, where people work to live and not live to work. I want him to see cities where not everything is owned by monolithic companies, where supermarkets are less frequent than "mom & pop" stores, to taste food that is not ALWAYS made of the cheapest ingredients, to witness the fact that some of the rest of the world REALLY cares about green living. Also, I'd like him to see some natural beauty.
I think that sums it up. So.... the question is, with all this in mind, which country in Europe should I focus on to achieve this goal?
Thank you in advance.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Italy, beyond the most common Tourist Destinations
- 2 Ireland road trip in June: Where to stop?
- 3 Favorite restaurants, Florence
- 4 Americans moving to Europe - Suggestions?
- 5 Areas in Milan
- 6 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 7 Perugia
- 8 Day trip to Lake Como from Milan
- 9 Ireland last minute recommendations
- 10 Ireland itinerary help please
- 11 No Periods in British Written English!
- 12 3-days Athens Itinerary, thoughts? Starting this Wednesday!
- 13 CDG much improved
- 14 Dublin or Amsterdam?
- 15 St Denis Cathedral
- 16 A few days in Naples - what a great city
- 17 Versailles & musical fountains: Touristy or Magical? Skip it or Don't Miss?
- 18 Parma, Reggio or Modena for a year?
- 19 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 20 Travel from Madrid to Barcelona with a Side Trip?
- 21 Rouen Tour Companies
- 22 One Month in Italy - Where would you base yourself?
- 23 Booking through Loco2 Train
- 24 Ronda Wine/biking
- 25 Four Nights free after Monmouth, Wales & before London.