My husband and I are planning a trip for Sept and we'd like to spend some time in Austria. I haven't done too much research yet but I see Vienna, Salzburg and Innsbruck are some main places people visit. We're keen to visit some of the areas around the Danube River & wine region near Vienna and we also love looking at scenery.
I'm just wondering if we should train between the main cities and then do day trips by train to smaller places or should we drive our way from each place so that we can visit smaller towns and stay there instead.
We've driven in Tuscany (I hated driving here) and Burgundy (loved driving here) previously so not sure if Austrian roads are similar to either of these and we got to see all the smaller towns. We went to Switzerland last year and based ourselves in Lausanne and just used the train for our day trips, which we really enjoyed (and it saved moving around all the time). If Austria's train is like Switzerland this may be the better option.
Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Pay attention to your watches !
- 2 Luna Gold Serum - ACHIEVE VISIBLY YOUNGER LOOKING SKIN
- 3 9 Days in Spain
- 4 No Trains in January Paris to Venice?
- 5 First, jet lagged day, in Barcelona
- 6 Finalized my Summer 2018 Italy Honeymoon Itinerary!
- 7 Iceland early december visit
- 8 Cyclades w/kids & my ruins-fanatic DH (itin and accommodation advice)
- 9 Zurich to Milan trip
- 10 Greece - when is the best time to go for warm but not too crowded?
- 11 Stonehenge Inner Circle next May
- 12 Southern Iceland itinerary add-ons!
- 13 Italy Car Scam
- 14 Quizz !
- 15 Scandinavia - By land or by sea?
- 16 How can I stay in Italy for more than 90 days?
- 17 car insurance italy
- 18 Christmas Day in Granada
- 19 a group of old friends traveling to croatia
- 20 Barcelona to Grindenwald area
- 21 Pompei, Naples and...Sorrento?
- 22 Itinerary advice Greece Nov 18-26
- 23 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 24 Venice/Mestre
- 25 Charming movie to watch if you've visited Erice in Sicily