My husband and I are planning a trip for Sept and we'd like to spend some time in Austria. I haven't done too much research yet but I see Vienna, Salzburg and Innsbruck are some main places people visit. We're keen to visit some of the areas around the Danube River & wine region near Vienna and we also love looking at scenery.
I'm just wondering if we should train between the main cities and then do day trips by train to smaller places or should we drive our way from each place so that we can visit smaller towns and stay there instead.
We've driven in Tuscany (I hated driving here) and Burgundy (loved driving here) previously so not sure if Austrian roads are similar to either of these and we got to see all the smaller towns. We went to Switzerland last year and based ourselves in Lausanne and just used the train for our day trips, which we really enjoyed (and it saved moving around all the time). If Austria's train is like Switzerland this may be the better option.
Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 No Periods in British Written English!
- 2 What crazy coincidence or chance meeting have you had while traveling?
- 3 Dinner get-together in Paris?
- 4 Question about Alsa Bus from Cordoba to Granada
- 5 Love buying beauty products to take back home? Here are the ones to avoid!
- 6 Madrid/Lisbon
- 7 Italy, beyond the most common Tourist Destinations
- 8 8ish days Zurich to Como...
- 9 3 Month Europe Itineray -- please critique
- 10 Greek fuel cost
- 11 Not Gone From Memory Or From Love — The Western Front Revisited
- 12 Train tickets, Swiss pass or eurail
- 13 Beach + City + Hiking + Art + Views + Food =
- 14 Can I do Stonehenge and Bath from Isle of Wight in 1 day?
- 15 Ireland last minute recommendations
- 16 Day trips from Florence
- 17 Aparthotel Adagio Paris XV feedback
- 18 May get together in Paris
- 19 A few days in Naples - what a great city
- 20 itinerary help: 18 days in Wales/Scotland
- 21 Planning a Trip to Greece
- 22 Accommodation referrals Trieste, Gorizia and Cormons
- 23 Seville- Ronda drive time
- 24 bavaria itinerary in may with a 3 year old
- 25 Wine tasting in Granada, Seville without driving