My husband and I are planning a trip for Sept and we'd like to spend some time in Austria. I haven't done too much research yet but I see Vienna, Salzburg and Innsbruck are some main places people visit. We're keen to visit some of the areas around the Danube River & wine region near Vienna and we also love looking at scenery.
I'm just wondering if we should train between the main cities and then do day trips by train to smaller places or should we drive our way from each place so that we can visit smaller towns and stay there instead.
We've driven in Tuscany (I hated driving here) and Burgundy (loved driving here) previously so not sure if Austrian roads are similar to either of these and we got to see all the smaller towns. We went to Switzerland last year and based ourselves in Lausanne and just used the train for our day trips, which we really enjoyed (and it saved moving around all the time). If Austria's train is like Switzerland this may be the better option.
Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Amsterdam hotels
- 2 For a Taste of Four Cultures on Two Contınents
- 3 Denmark or Sweden?
- 4 Croatia Itinerary Help
- 5 Trek through Eur
- 6 Car Rental in France (Insurance + Add'l Driver Questions?)
- 7 Europe itinerary questions
- 8 After Beaune, need suggestions for the next 10 days
- 9 Italy Sept 26-Oct 6 2017
- 10 Paris hotels
- 11 London Hotels
- 12 Flying into Copenhagen (1st trip to Europe)
- 13 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 14 We're here!
- 15 Has anyone rented from Allinclusive! Rent a Car ?
- 16 Norway, Sweden, Denmark
- 17 Swiss Trip Itineraryand Charges
- 18 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 19 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 20 From Portugal to the Pyrenees and onto Paris
- 21 12 Day Central Europe Itinerary
- 22 Which airport for Bellagio?
- 23 Paris and London Christmas / NY EVE
- 24 Where to weekend away from Frankfurt
- 25 Brugge hotel help