My husband and I are planning a trip for Sept and we'd like to spend some time in Austria. I haven't done too much research yet but I see Vienna, Salzburg and Innsbruck are some main places people visit. We're keen to visit some of the areas around the Danube River & wine region near Vienna and we also love looking at scenery.
I'm just wondering if we should train between the main cities and then do day trips by train to smaller places or should we drive our way from each place so that we can visit smaller towns and stay there instead.
We've driven in Tuscany (I hated driving here) and Burgundy (loved driving here) previously so not sure if Austrian roads are similar to either of these and we got to see all the smaller towns. We went to Switzerland last year and based ourselves in Lausanne and just used the train for our day trips, which we really enjoyed (and it saved moving around all the time). If Austria's train is like Switzerland this may be the better option.
Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Last minute trip to Germany and Switzerland
- 2 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 3 Greece - 8 days - Recommendations please!
- 4 Cash and Czech Crowns
- 5 Football Tickets - Athens
- 6 where to stay between Salamanca and Zaragoza?
- 7 Estonia, Finland, and Iceland: Summer 2017
- 8 Salzburg itinerary review
- 9 Positano or Sorrento?
- 10 13 nights in switzerland
- 11 Munich itinerary review
- 12 Earthquake near Naples
- 13 Uber in Rome & Lisbon
- 14 Lyon airport hotel or downtown + taxi
- 15 3 nights in the 10th Paris
- 16 Globus Iberian Tour
- 17 Tips for 2018 Eastern Europe trip
- 18 3nights in Venice
- 19 Paris in November
- 20 10-Day Trip Planned..Need Recommendations
- 21 Journees du patrimonie 2017
- 22 Barcelona rental for two couples??
- 23 Travelling to Russia during FIFA
- 24 Only 3 days: Asturias or French Basque?
- 25 Last minute trip to Capri