My husband and I are planning a trip for Sept and we'd like to spend some time in Austria. I haven't done too much research yet but I see Vienna, Salzburg and Innsbruck are some main places people visit. We're keen to visit some of the areas around the Danube River & wine region near Vienna and we also love looking at scenery.
I'm just wondering if we should train between the main cities and then do day trips by train to smaller places or should we drive our way from each place so that we can visit smaller towns and stay there instead.
We've driven in Tuscany (I hated driving here) and Burgundy (loved driving here) previously so not sure if Austrian roads are similar to either of these and we got to see all the smaller towns. We went to Switzerland last year and based ourselves in Lausanne and just used the train for our day trips, which we really enjoyed (and it saved moving around all the time). If Austria's train is like Switzerland this may be the better option.
Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Day trips from Rome? or overnight?
- 2 Wake Up Mods
- 3 help with europe itinary
- 4 Great Woin's restaurnats in Paris
- 5 One Day in Vienna
- 6 Portugal In A Week-The Places You'd Go Back To
- 7 Trip in September
- 8 Switzerland
- 9 Escorted tours Norway
- 10 credit and debit cards
- 11 Best Tour to see Pisa and Cinque Terra
- 12 Western/Central Europe Itinerary help
- 13 Romans Lament Changing Yellow Lights to
- 14 Help with basic itinerary
- 15 favorite app for converting US $$
- 16 One week in London with kids
- 17 Charming areas to explore in London
- 18 Light weight small converter?
- 19 Cornwall - St. Ives, SW Coastal Path-Travel Questions Need Answering!
- 20 San Gimignano area of Italy
- 21 London - Vauxhall or Southwark?
- 22 Time required from flight touchdown at Heathrow to King's Cross
- 23 Sunday Afternoon lunch in Antwerpen
- 24 Versailles - Much More than the Palace!
- 25 Best neighborhood for first timer to Lisbon, Portugal