Planning Trip to Austria/Germany-advice on Sp.Riding Sch, concerts, etc

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2010, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all-I am trying to plan a 20th anniversary trip to the country my wife has always wanted to visit(that would be Austria)and could use a little advice. We will have 10-12 days at the beginning of April-travel plans are all still flexible at this point. I am wondering if anyone has experience with performances at the Sp. Riding School in Vienna(is it worth the cost) and how easy/difficult it is to order the tickets online. Also, we would love to get tickets to some classical concerts while in Vienna & not sure if we can purchase tickets once there or if they need to be ordered online as well. I am open to any other advice on what to do in/around Vienna-also thinking of taking the train to Salzburg & maybe taking in the Salzkammergut region as well(can we do this region by public transport?). Any recommendations on lodging in Salzkammergut area would be great. If we can work it in, we may also try taking train into Germany to see a castle or two or any other recommended sights. Thank you in advance for any help in making this a memorable anniversary trip for my lovely wife & me.
Old Nov 7th, 2010, 07:30 AM

Vienna-also thinking of taking the train to Salzburg & maybe taking in the Salzkammergut region as well(can we do this region by public transport?). .>

Yes indeedy - I have done several times - take the train to Halstatt - a simply dreamy town in the high Alps and lovingly situated on a lake and from there you can take train + bus into the Sound of Music Country - a k a Salzkammergut - bus from Bad Ischl to St Wolgang or St Gilgen - these buses also run regularly from Salzburg in not much over an hour to Lake Wolfgang, the epicenter of the tourist Salzkammerhgut IMO

For lots on trains and public transports in Austria and Germany check out these Wunderbar web sites - www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.ricksteves.com and www.seat61.com. and though you would have to be traveling more in Germany perhaps than indicated there is also the Germany-Austria railpass that allows you to just hop on practically any train in those two countries anytime - but your itinerary indicates a relatively limited use of the train but if plans change and you travel more into Germany...
Old Nov 7th, 2010, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Great advice, PalenQ-much appreciated. I'm so glad to know that we can rely on trains, etc. so I can avoid renting a car. I will rent if necessary but would rather not this time-maybe when we come back again(hopefully),we can rent a car & get farther off the beaten path.
Old Nov 7th, 2010, 08:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hi; Go to 'search the forums', top right and key in yk. Then look for a trip report on Vienna and Budapest. Much information.
Old Nov 7th, 2010, 01:45 PM

We usually check out the concerts by going to the following sites:

http://www.wienerphilharmoniker.at/i...et_language=en

http://www.wiener-staatsoper.at/Cont...Content.en.php

http://www.volksoper.at/Content.Node2/home/index.en.php

We found ourselves with extra time in Vienna in April this year and were able to book a Vienna Philharmonic concert ticket at the last minute but seat selection was limited so I suggest you consider booking anything special in advance.
Tickets for the State Opera are quite expensive and the Volksoper not quite so costly.

We do not book tickets with the many costumed sellers around St Stephan's or from similarly costumed people in Salzburg as we both have been professional musicians and these are not our preference.

We also took a day trip to Halstatt from Salzburg a few weeks ago and this was very straightforward using the trains.We had only one train change at Attnang-Puchheim and then caught the boat across the lake to the village.
The boat and train times seem to be linked together and the whole trip was ever so much easier than some of the descriptions I read when working out how to get there! Indeed these often suggested itis hard and directed one to a bus tour - not the case.
Here is the Austrian rail site:

http://www.oebb.at/en/index.jsp

Enjoy your planning.
Old Nov 7th, 2010, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

My thanks to all of you for great advice!

love-you said you were in Vienna in April & wonder if you can tell me how the weather was. Also, I appreciate the advice about the concerts. I had seen the ads for the costumed concerts online & my daughter, who is studying music(clarinet)advised me to avoid those-she thought they looked "cheesy" & not professional!
Old Nov 7th, 2010, 04:06 PM

First up - I am with your daughter - they may well be professional players but they are not what we would select. I have known people who have enjoyed them - but not for us.
One very special day for us was a Sunday morning concert with Vienna Phil and then lunch in Albertina - mmm - a very happy memory and very relaxing.

Weather was mixed with some days of sunshine and about 22 degrees (Celsius) and then back to cool days where we needed our coats and scarves.
We come from South Australia so think it is cold under about 12C.
We had a little rain but it was easy to get around.

Vienna is a great city for walking so we were outside a lot.

We had the same mixed weather experience two years before when staying in Salzburg - a brilliant sunny couple of days and then some quite cold weather.

Happy to help if anything else occurs to you.
Old Nov 7th, 2010, 05:05 PM

Beginning of April can be springlike or can be very chilly and rainy - esp if you head to the mountains around Salzburg. A beautiful area - but you should check the weather.

I think the performances at the Spanish riding school are brilliant and it is definitely worth getting the best tickets. But you must understand what it is - the last time we went the people behind us were very disappointed - since they were expecting something like a rodeo - not dressage or airs above the ground.

There are a lot of music venue - we have done only a few - and enjoyed them all - but if you want best quality stick to the Philharmonic or State Opera.
Old Nov 7th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

nytraveler-I have read some reviews on TA about the SRS with a lot of unhappy people who paid to see the training or exercise sessions. I think if you are aware of what you are paying for(performance versus exercise session)beforehand, then there should be no disappointment. Personally, I have just today read a lot about the show & think that we will enjoy it immensely. Thanks for taking time to advise!
Old Nov 7th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

love-forgot to ask if you might tell me something more about Albertina-sounds like something we might want to try ourselves. Also, what did you think of Salzburg & Hallstatt-worth the trip from Vienna?

We don't mind cold/rainy weather as long as it doesn't stay that way the entire trip! I grew up in the UP of Michigan so I'm used to cold weather but have gotten spoiled now living in the US Southeast where everyone(like yourself)thinks that temps below 50-60F are frigid.
Old Nov 7th, 2010, 08:45 PM

Hi messy1,

We had already visited The Albertina

http://www.albertina.at/jart/prj3/al...e-mode=reserve

and enjoyed its collections and size.
The restaurant and cafe are stylish - and although owned by a company Do&Co we found it a great place for a late Sunday lunch - believe it or not - sitting up at a large marble bar with a view to the gardens.
It is often hard to reliably comment on the food - especially as we had heard sch a magnificent concert just beforehand and had then visited St Charles Church and gone up to a special platform to look at the restoration work.

http://www.sacred-destinations.com/a...arlskirche.htm

We have had a prior July trip to Vienna and on every visit we head off to the Kunsthistorische as well as I love the building and find it a friendly and comfortable gallery.
http://www.khm.at/nocache/en/khm-home/

On our July trip we took ourselves to Melk and Krems and for a short boat ride on the way back - not sure how this would be in April - might be rather grey if not wet. I don't much like being on the river in grey weather - just a characteristic of someone living in a mild climate.

Our Halstatt trip was from Salzburg - it might be too long for a day trip from Vienna - perhaps someone else might comment.

As nytraveler mentions - the weather is variable - the day we went up the Untersburg near Salzburg was warm and sunny - albeit very cold on top - but you do need to check whilst there before heading out.
Old Nov 8th, 2010, 04:10 AM

You didn't ask about hotels, but this hotel is just behind the cathedral. A lovely place to stay with lots of history. www.kvu.at
Old Nov 8th, 2010, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

iris1745-thanks so much for the rec. for the hotel. We had planned to use Hilton pts. to stay at the Vienna Hilton for free but may have to splurge instead as this hotel is beautiful! Do you happen to have a rec. for a hotel in Salzburg as well?

love-once again, I thank you for your advice! You are a fount of info. We are actually thinking we may spend a couple of nights in Salzburg as well(hence the Hallstatt questions)-I think we would do Hallstatt from there. We are hoping maybe to take in another concert in Salzburg also.

Does anyone want to give me an opinion on Prague? I had someone yesterday tell me that they thought we should consider Prague/Vienna for our trip instead(for the music, architecture/history, & cheaper prices). I have to say, the latter especially sounds appealing!
Old Nov 8th, 2010, 11:03 AM

We were just in Vienna a few weeks ago. Click on my name to read my condensed trip report.

We purchased tickets to the Spanish Riding School on line and picked them up about 15 minutes before the performance. We had the third or fourth best seats and they were wonderful. We loved the performance and thought it was worth the price.

Although we are not opera fans, we attended an opera at the Staatsoper and very much enjoyed it. Consider standing in line for very inexpensive standing room tickets.

I also suggest seeing the Vienna Boys Choir. We stood in line for free, standing room tickets. We were near the front of the line and got "front row" standing room so we were able to see the altar (not the boys).
Old Nov 8th, 2010, 11:32 AM

Hi; Do you also have Starwood points. I would only stay at this hotel if you are using points. Very expensive. Also, I would never stay in the annex across the narrow street. But that main building is very nice. There may be a Hilton in Salzburg. www.goldenerhirschsalzburg.com
Old Nov 8th, 2010, 11:32 AM

Hi; Do you also have Starwood points. I would only stay at this hotel if you are using points. Very expensive. Also, I would never stay in the annex across the narrow street. But that main building is very nice. There may be a Hilton in Salzburg. www.goldenerhirschsalzburg.com
Old Nov 8th, 2010, 11:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If the Spanish Riding School is a priority, you'll have to plan your visit to Vienna to include a weekend. Performances are 11:00 am on Saturdays and Sundays plus one Friday evening performance on 4/22 at 7:00 pm.
Old Nov 8th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks you guys-helpful info as always.

wanderfrau-your trip report was great! Can you tell me how far ahead you ordered the tickets for the SRS performance? Do you have that website info for the tickets? Sounds like you lucked up with your seats. And did you just stand in line for the standing room tickets for the Opera & VBC at the time of the performances? Any advise is appreciated!

iris1745-that hotel in Salzburg looks awesome! Not sure we could afford it though.
Old Nov 8th, 2010, 12:26 PM

Hi messy1,

If you are wanting to be a bit more economical in Salzburg and don't mind staying in a little nearby village you might like to consider the Sallerhof.
http://www.sallerhof.com/

It is about a 20 minute bus ride from the town and has wonderful views to the mountains - and is very quiet and immaculately kept.
You can walk to the Untersberg cable car from here and they will arrange taxis to the station when you leave - although the bus goes all the way there as well.
The village has a number of places to eat and is very much like living in a small outer suburb.
This is where we spent four nights a few weeks ago - our daughter is a huge Salzburg fan and this part of our work/pleasure trip was her treat.
It is a simple but well run place and we have stayed there three times.
From here we visited Halstatt for a day trip.
Old Nov 8th, 2010, 06:21 PM

ttt

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -