Interesting story about Amsterdam in NY Times recently - a scheme where alcoholics who due to their malady cannot hold jobs and thus have problems buying booze - so the city has launched a program where alcoholics sweep streets and are paid and also get free beer during breaks and at lunch.
So if you see some folks in orange jump suits cleaning the streets of Amsterdam they may be working for booze.
Just another amazing thing about a city not afraid to embrace controversial things.
I find Amsterdam to be one of Europe's most awesome cities both physically - gorgeous canals, etc but also interesting in these type things you may find - and yes things like coffee shops where cannabis is sold over the counter and folks are allowed to smoke inside - regardless of otherwise no-smoking policies in other places.
Holland recently passed a law banning foreigners from coffee shops but Amsterdam officials have refused to enforce it so the totally unique coffee shops continue.
Amsterdam - a surprise at every turn. From red-light districts to outlandishly garbed young folk, etc.
I am one who travels not only to see the really famous museums like Amsterdam is known for and its physical beauty but also to see local attitudes - being tolerant of a very open red-light district (though the mayor has vowed to get rid of it!) - everyone on bikes - the many cozy cafes and just a general laid-back atmosphere.
Where else would the city hire alcoholics to clean streets and supply them with beer during the day? (Well it was modeled on a similar scheme from other cities the article says.
Amsterdamned for something different (but not everyone's cup of tea for sure!)
Amsterdam is awesome for many reasons and not just being one of Europe's physically most beautiful cities.
J'aime Amsterdam and its ballyhooed tolerance.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 French Gov't Passes New Labor Law Despite...
- 2 Heathrow to hotel transportation question
- 3 France to stop making foie grois
- 4 AIr France on strike ... as usual.
- 5 Please Rec best VPN Internet service/company for Italy
- 6 Dropping my rental car at Fiumicino Airport
- 7 Advice to store my luggage in Paris ?
- 8 Need some suggestions for Andalucia / Barcelona / Madrid starting Dec 25
- 9 Kilt makers
- 10 http://rxtestosteronesite.com/muscle-xtx-reviews/
- 11 Puglia
- 12 Stonehenge and Bath
- 13 Manchester on derby weekend
- 14 Avoid Viking River Cruises
- 15 My First Trip to Europe...
- 16 Four favorite things to do in Paris during the Christmas holidays
- 17 Amsterdam bike rides and maps
- 18 train from ravenna to parma
- 19 Best area to stay in Valencia
- 20 Greek Itinerary Help: 8 days Early November w/ 12-yr-old
- 21 Christmas in Paris.....On Going Trip Report
- 22 Germany, May'16: Four seasons in three weeks.
- 23 Need Suggestions for Trip to Poland and Possibly Lithuania
- 24 Madrid city centre?
- 25 Granada to Cordoba to Madrid--Doable??