Interesting story about Amsterdam in NY Times recently - a scheme where alcoholics who due to their malady cannot hold jobs and thus have problems buying booze - so the city has launched a program where alcoholics sweep streets and are paid and also get free beer during breaks and at lunch.
So if you see some folks in orange jump suits cleaning the streets of Amsterdam they may be working for booze.
Just another amazing thing about a city not afraid to embrace controversial things.
I find Amsterdam to be one of Europe's most awesome cities both physically - gorgeous canals, etc but also interesting in these type things you may find - and yes things like coffee shops where cannabis is sold over the counter and folks are allowed to smoke inside - regardless of otherwise no-smoking policies in other places.
Holland recently passed a law banning foreigners from coffee shops but Amsterdam officials have refused to enforce it so the totally unique coffee shops continue.
Amsterdam - a surprise at every turn. From red-light districts to outlandishly garbed young folk, etc.
I am one who travels not only to see the really famous museums like Amsterdam is known for and its physical beauty but also to see local attitudes - being tolerant of a very open red-light district (though the mayor has vowed to get rid of it!) - everyone on bikes - the many cozy cafes and just a general laid-back atmosphere.
Where else would the city hire alcoholics to clean streets and supply them with beer during the day? (Well it was modeled on a similar scheme from other cities the article says.
Amsterdamned for something different (but not everyone's cup of tea for sure!)
Amsterdam is awesome for many reasons and not just being one of Europe's physically most beautiful cities.
J'aime Amsterdam and its ballyhooed tolerance.
Amsterdam: Alcoholics Cleaning Streets to Get Free Booze!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Trip to Central and Eastern Europe Aug 2015 (3-9 months)
- 2 2 weeks Bavaria - December 2015
- 3 Italy, mid May, 10 days, Rome + another city?
- 4 Which european city?
- 5 Sono arrivato a Venezia
- 6 Siena - Pienza - Montepulciano
- 7 Minimalist wardrobe for Europe
- 8 VISA question
- 9 Help!! which tour company is the best for group tours in Italy?
- 10 Taxi or Tube from LHR to Gloucester Road Tube?
- 11 Bus Tour with a toddler
- 12 4-5 Days in Switzerland before Paris? Is Berne the place to go?
- 13 France,Spain,Italy
- 14 Bus Service Between Spoleto and Norcia
- 15 Schengen Visa Rules
- 16 Rome or Stockholm - PLEASE HELP ME MAKE UP MY MIND
- 17 Capri 5 star hotel Tiberio Palace or Capri Palace with teen daughters
- 18 Luxury hotel base Positano or Sorrento with 2 teen daughters
- 19 What to do and what to see in Moscow in February?
- 20 Starting to plan for 3.5 weeks in northern Spain, May 2015
- 21 N Ireland / Ireland driving
- 22 Hotel or B&B Recommendations for Chamonix, Lyon & Paris
- 23 Scotland November 2015
- 24 Five Nights in Budapest: A Quick Winter Getaway
- 25 All Set To Go!!