I am researching a 10 day trip to Scotland starting July 5th next summer for our family; 2 adults, 2 teenagers and a 7 yr old boy. I think I have a rough idea of what we want to do, but just thought I would ask if our trip makes sense to those who know Scotland. We don't want to spend hours and hours of driving so I didn't include far north or west in my itinerary as 10 days isn't too long (we will have just come from 7 days in the Netherlands):
Itinerary so far:
Edinburgh 3 nights to see the castle, Arthur's Seat, and Britannia... and explore
East Neuk to see the fishing villages and on to St. Andrew's to stay 1 night
Glamis Castle the next day and carry on to stay in Pitlochry for 1 night (ideas: hike some or all of Ben Vrackie, visit a distillery, maybe Blair castle)
Fort William next as we are interested in the Jacobite train day trip, 2 nights
Loch Lomond for one night (ideas: boat tour, Balloch Castle Country park, Loch Lomond Shores) x 1
Final night in Stirling to explore (maybe Stirling castle, or Drummond Castle gardens), and drive to Glasgow airport to return to Canada the following day.
I know it is only a part of Scotland, but we were hoping to at least see some beautiful scenery & comfortable hikes, a loch tour, some quaint fishing villages (maybe a walk on the beach), some castles, at least one whisky distillery for my husband, and of course Edinburgh City.
If anyone has any comments about this itinerary (being realistic, or capturing Scotland etc.) I would really welcome them. Thanks.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Austrian Train Purchase from US
- 2 Maybe your worst nighmare...
- 3 Selecting the right Travel Pass (or not at all)
- 4 Uber vs. TfL
- 5 Berlin
- 6 Greek Village
- 7 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas
- 8 A Trip Report: Springtime in Italy - May 9 to June 2, 2011
- 9 Can you tell me about using "The Fork" for reserving and savings?
- 10 Germany or Sweden
- 11 Ger's Trip to Rome & Bologna
- 12 Italy Trip- Venice, Rome, Florence, Cinque Terre, Amalfi Coast
- 13 Firenze, Venezia, Cruise, Cinque Terre, Nce
- 14 Two days in Rome
- 15 napologetic Napoli, Uncompromising Capri, and Unassuming Amalfi
- 16 We didn't love Florence the way we thought we might
- 17 Our (Somewhat) Laid Back Tour of Old Fave Stops in Italy
- 18 PARIS
- 19 One free day in Barcelona
- 20 Bordeaux: north side parking, then public transport to the center?
- 21 Best day trips from Turin, Bologna, Cortona
- 22 Spain: train/rental car help
- 23 Day trip outside of Dublin
- 24 Which 2 locations on Amalfi Coast?
- 25 Please help with hotels in Seville