I am researching a 10 day trip to Scotland starting July 5th next summer for our family; 2 adults, 2 teenagers and a 7 yr old boy. I think I have a rough idea of what we want to do, but just thought I would ask if our trip makes sense to those who know Scotland. We don't want to spend hours and hours of driving so I didn't include far north or west in my itinerary as 10 days isn't too long (we will have just come from 7 days in the Netherlands):
Itinerary so far:
Edinburgh 3 nights to see the castle, Arthur's Seat, and Britannia... and explore
East Neuk to see the fishing villages and on to St. Andrew's to stay 1 night
Glamis Castle the next day and carry on to stay in Pitlochry for 1 night (ideas: hike some or all of Ben Vrackie, visit a distillery, maybe Blair castle)
Fort William next as we are interested in the Jacobite train day trip, 2 nights
Loch Lomond for one night (ideas: boat tour, Balloch Castle Country park, Loch Lomond Shores) x 1
Final night in Stirling to explore (maybe Stirling castle, or Drummond Castle gardens), and drive to Glasgow airport to return to Canada the following day.
I know it is only a part of Scotland, but we were hoping to at least see some beautiful scenery & comfortable hikes, a loch tour, some quaint fishing villages (maybe a walk on the beach), some castles, at least one whisky distillery for my husband, and of course Edinburgh City.
If anyone has any comments about this itinerary (being realistic, or capturing Scotland etc.) I would really welcome them. Thanks.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Nightlife in Rome (Alone)
- 2 London Hotel - Different Request
- 3 6 day trip to Italy... Venice to rome
- 4 anyone stay here? ytri vik cottages
- 5 Favourite Alpine and Mediterranean place?
- 6 Paris Favorites (the 11th & wine regions)
- 7 paris hotel easy commute to Palais de Congres
- 8 Tuscany wedding venues for 2
- 9 3 nights in Madrid
- 10 Spain itinerary and railway advise
- 11 Keira-Caitlyn Travels to Turkey...adventures in Istanbul and Ephesus
- 12 Trip to Switzerland
- 13 Our recent CDG experience (Delta)
- 14 Shortest wait for the Vatican without prebooking online?
- 15 Lonely Planet‘s Best in Europe list-your thoughts please
- 16 Rome hotel
- 17 Very British Neighborhood in London
- 18 How Best to spend 13 days in Italy
- 19 Seville to Cordoba
- 20 Nice to Cinque Terre where to stay.
- 21 Problem using American bank card in Turkey
- 22 London 6 day itinerary
- 23 Rome-Switzerland-Paris-Rome 2 week trip
- 24 Sim card/Amsterdam
- 25 Kayak = Priceline and unavailable flights?