Final Report - Singapore (Long)
We flew from Bangkok to Singapore for a 4 nights. Had a lovely room at the Marriott on Orchard Road (Price line $74). Orchard Road was all decked out for Christmas compliments of Hitachi. Singapore was bubbling with excitement, so many young people, attractive people living in this little paradise in Asia. Wherever we went we saw beautiful young people dining, shopping, drinking, we even had to ask where they were hiding the older people - didn’t see any! Had a fun time, took the boat ride to see the sights on the river, wnet to Raffles hotel, Hawkers Circus, Little India and Chinatown and then found a Marche and discovered they had wonderful raclette in Singapore. Very funny to be eating this winter cheese dish in such hot and humid climate. It was so delicious that we had to go back on our last day and have another plate of raclette.
One the way out of the restaurant I tripped on a small step and fell and was not able to walk or step on my foot. My last evening was spent in Singapore General Hospital where they did an awful job in both diagnosis and treatment. The nurses treated me very kindly and the hospital was clean so I hoped I was in good hands. They had to take xrays of my foot and then shoot me with pain killers and told me they would “observe” me for a couple of hours. After 2 different sets of x-rays an hour apart, they told me that I had to wait to see the “bone specialist” who would be in shortly. After an hour or so a very young girl appeared and introduced herself as the doctor. I swear, she didn’t look a day over 14 years old but her name tag stated she was an Orthopedic Surgeon. I am thanking God that I will not need surgery! I couldn’t believe it. She told me she was having a difficult time reading my xrays and would like me to have yet another set done. It was my left foot - she wrote right foot on the order and I had to assure the technican that it was the black and blue and swollen left foot that needed to be x-rayed . Geez. At this point (about 6 hours into the ordeal) I am starting to lose all hope. Finally my “surgeon” suggests that her associate could come in and look at my foot because he couldn’t read the x-ray either. The fact that I couldn’t stand without screaming in pain convinced them to treat it as a broken bone even though they could not see it. I told them exactly which bone I believed to be broken. To humor me they elected to put it in a cast. My “orthopedic surgeon” took me into her room and put on a plaster half cast (top of the foot exposed) and wrapped it in tape. When she finished I almost started laughing except it was so painful but my foot was in worse shape then when I arrived. She realized that the cast was not on properly and had to take it off and start over. The second one did not seem much better but it was now 2am and it seemed hopeless. I told her it seemed very loose but she said that was the best she could do. I now had to wait another hour to be fitted for crutches and taught how to walk. I was boarding Cathay Pacific in a few hours to spend my last 3 days in Pattaya and couldn’t wait to get out of the hospital. The cast fell off two days later in Pattaya!
Upon return to Switzerland I went to the Emergency Room with the Singapore exrays. Instandly they could see a fracture of the 5th Metatarsal and couldn’t believe that they couldn’t read it in Singapore. They told me it clearly shows on all 6 exrays that I purchased at the hospital. I am now typing this in an air cast and will be sitting here reading for the next six weeks. Word of advice - stay out of the Singapore Hospital
End of report - sorry it was so long but it was an interesting three weeks - certainly not my best vacation due to our various mishaps but we still managed to have a great time. Thanks for reading
Trip report Singapore... long
Final Report - Singapore (Long)
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Indian Visa: Experience with BLS International?
- 2 Travelling to Thailand from U.S. this June/July
- 3 looking for a great hotel in K.L./ Lost camera!!!!!!!
- 4 First timer trying to prepare for trip of a lifetime: BURMA
- 5 How to get to Koh Ngai?
- 6 Glovers 2 month India adventure has begun!
- 7 3 weeks in Japan- Finalized... I think
- 8 Japan Itinerary for May
- 9 Thai island escape
- 10 Itinerary set: Now some logistical questions on first time trip to Japan
- 11 Planning 19 days in Indonesia- need help
- 12 Indonesia/Java/Sulawesi Travel Advice needed
- 13 Halong Bay Tour - Is there another day tour you recommend instead?
- 14 What are good things to buy while in Shanghai China
- 15 Visa Arrived..off to India!!!
- 16 From Singapore to NZ: A Remarkable Safari Through Time and Across Cultures
- 17 South Korea 5 days
- 18 Japan -OAT tour
- 19 Great trip to Myanmar, Bangkok and Hong Kong
- 20 Questions on Places to See in Burma
- 21 Transport logistics: Kyoto, Hiroshima/Miyajima, Kyushu
- 22 India Visa - BLS international. Lost passport FBI complaint
- 23 General question
- 24 Train Travel During Golden Week
- 25 Staying in Hong Kong but want to visit Shenzen