Best Views in Shanghai?

Old Dec 14th, 2005, 03:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Views in Shanghai?

Hi, I've not had the time to research this properly. But a quick look suggests the following options:

--Oriental Pearl Tower
--Cloud 9 bar on Grand Hyatt (87th floor?)
--Restaurants in Grand Hyatt
--CJW (50th floor) at Bund Center
--Various Bund options (M on the Bund, etc.)
--Kathleen's (near Shanghai Museum)

Which ones are the best and which meals should I plan (if any) to get the best views? Which establishments are ok with drinks only?

Could someone please offer a quick summary?

Thanks.
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 04:01 AM

Seeing a good view is really going to depend on the weather and the pollution level. No sense going way up high to see a view if the building is wrapped in clouds or the city is blanketed in smog, both of which happen frequently. Both were happening during our visit, which is why we did not try for the way up high view.
However, we did go to M on the Bund. This is only a few floors up. The view is along the Bund, which is all lit up at night. You will need to eat dinner since the best view tables are in the restaurant. We had a cocktail in the bar, which was cozy, but did not have much a view.
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 07:38 AM

111op: I would try a restaurant in the Grand Hyatt. I would further go there the day before to check out which restaurant and where to sit to get the best view and then make reservation.

These days, pollution level really cuts down the view. Well, may be you get lucky.

Not far from Okura, there is the Chinese run 40+ storey Jin Jiang Tower (It's a hotel). Locals call it "new Jin Jiang". There is a restaurant at the top floor. The view there should give you a different perspective .
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Well lxc, considering that I'm only there for three days and two nights (and more like 1/2 day, 1 day, 1/2 day), I don't think that I've that much time to carry out the reconnaissance mission.

Yes, I see the JJ Tower on the map -- was thinking of staying there actually.

Is pollution really that bad? Sounds pretty horrible. I guess I'll see for myself.

My first night I may go to a concert at the new Shanghai Oriental Arts Center (?). Lang Lang is playing a piano recital there. I'm not a fan of this pianist, but I figure that I can go to Pudong and look at Paul Andreu's new building and maybe check out Hyatt afterwards.

Old Dec 14th, 2005, 11:44 AM

Weather permitting, the rooftop of the Peace Hotel provides some views of the river and Bund. I wouldn't go there specially - it's not very high up - but the Jazz Bar is worth a visit and the art deco interiors are great. The Jazz Bar band is a bunch of old codgers, some of whom reputedly have been playing since before the Revolution. A bit of s stretch maybe, but you get the idea.