I've been reading about Thailand (forums, books, tour companies) and I must admit it's a bit like drinking from a firehose. I'm rather overwhelmed with all the information. Initially, I was set on this tour: http://www.gate1travel.com/southeast-asia/thailand-tours-13dclathtu14.aspx but with single supplement, it's almost double. Still affordable overall, but why pay double to be solo? The more I read, the more I want to see, but time and money are restricting my wanderlust. So I'm hoping you good people can help me out a little (or a lot).
I have roughly 2 weeks (14 days, but can probably spend a couple more, depending on how things go) and I'd like to spend some of those days on a beach. I am planning to travel in November of this year (or later, but depends on pricing).
Looking at that link above, many of the activities and optional excursions appeal to me (but not the elephants). The thing I don't like about it the location of the hotels. I do like the tour guide and how things are organized and pre-planned, and having a guide explain how Thailand "works". I kinda know how Europe "works" so I know what to expect when going there, and started off with guided tours to several countries.
I'm seriously considering doing something like this on my own, but don't want to shlep luggage and depend on "public" transportation.
I guess, to start, here are some things about me: traveling solo, female, mid-30s, not a partier, LOVE photography (photography tours are waaaaay too expensive), architecture, cultural activities, and somewhat of a foodie (but can't handle spicy food or pork). I like things a little off the beaten path, but since I'm solo and don't want to drive, not toally off the beaten path. Oh, I've traveled some in Europe (Portugal, Spain, England, Scotland, Prague, VIenna, Budapest), and it took me about 5 years of ever-increasing solo days around an organized tour to do a completely solo tour.
I'd love to hire a private guide, if possible. I was also thinking of taking a cooking class.
What can you recommend, based on the above? Any help is greatly apprecaited. Sorry if this is a little all over.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Train vs Taxi from BKK to hotel
- 2 Complete Asia Newbie - Phnom Penh Itinerary Ideas - Two Weeks
- 3 Toddler twin travel in India
- 4 Chinese New Year in Hong Kong
- 5 Visiting a Country in Mourning
- 6 India for Softies : A slow comfortable tour around some of Northern India
- 7 Japan Itinerary
- 8 Many Questions for 1st Japan Trip
- 9 Vietnam to increase visa cost for Americans
- 10 Help with Kyushu itinerary appreciated.
- 11 Questions re use of Japan Rail Pass and Kyoto itinerary
- 12 Hong Kong - Travel Report
- 13 Amakusa island help
- 14 Japan Trip Delayed
- 15 The Not-All-Golden Road to Samarkand
- 16 Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia -feedback on draft itinerary please!
- 17 Fukuoka: Tenjin vs Hakata
- 18 Month long SE Asia trip
- 19 Itinerary help - Thailand 9D8N in Nov'16
- 20 Cambodia weather
- 21 Trichy to Ooty Trip with My Family
- 22 Weekend Breaks from Singapore
- 23 Sad News: The Thai King has died
- 24 Vietnam Itinerary Input, The country is so LONG!
- 25 Real Experiences and Travel Agency in Southeast Asia to choose
Overwhelmed - 1st timer planning a trip to Asia - need help