I've been reading about Thailand (forums, books, tour companies) and I must admit it's a bit like drinking from a firehose. I'm rather overwhelmed with all the information. Initially, I was set on this tour: http://www.gate1travel.com/southeast-asia/thailand-tours-13dclathtu14.aspx but with single supplement, it's almost double. Still affordable overall, but why pay double to be solo? The more I read, the more I want to see, but time and money are restricting my wanderlust. So I'm hoping you good people can help me out a little (or a lot).
I have roughly 2 weeks (14 days, but can probably spend a couple more, depending on how things go) and I'd like to spend some of those days on a beach. I am planning to travel in November of this year (or later, but depends on pricing).
Looking at that link above, many of the activities and optional excursions appeal to me (but not the elephants). The thing I don't like about it the location of the hotels. I do like the tour guide and how things are organized and pre-planned, and having a guide explain how Thailand "works". I kinda know how Europe "works" so I know what to expect when going there, and started off with guided tours to several countries.
I'm seriously considering doing something like this on my own, but don't want to shlep luggage and depend on "public" transportation.
I guess, to start, here are some things about me: traveling solo, female, mid-30s, not a partier, LOVE photography (photography tours are waaaaay too expensive), architecture, cultural activities, and somewhat of a foodie (but can't handle spicy food or pork). I like things a little off the beaten path, but since I'm solo and don't want to drive, not toally off the beaten path. Oh, I've traveled some in Europe (Portugal, Spain, England, Scotland, Prague, VIenna, Budapest), and it took me about 5 years of ever-increasing solo days around an organized tour to do a completely solo tour.
I'd love to hire a private guide, if possible. I was also thinking of taking a cooking class.
What can you recommend, based on the above? Any help is greatly apprecaited. Sorry if this is a little all over.
Overwhelmed - 1st timer planning a trip to Asia - need help
- 1 Volunteers needed to help children in Indonesia, Kenya, Thailand
- 2 Bangkok - Silver Shops
- 3 Bangkok & demonstrations (2013)
- 4 Back from a Trip of a Lifetime! Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia!
- 5 Beijing - is the air quality THAT bad?
- 6 South East Asia
- 7 Indian Visa: Experience with BLS International?
- 8 Can I get Kopi Luwak coffee in Bangkok
- 9 Airport - hotel transportation in Thailand
- 10 Which mosquito repellent to use for a 9 year old child?
- 11 Myanmar and Mt Popa
- 12 Bangkok restaurant or unique experience for anniversary
- 13 Finding a Small electric Kettle in BKK
- 14 Magical India
- 15 Overwhelmed by info...First time in Philippines...What Island
- 16 Hotel Majestic-Saigon
- 17 RECOMMENDATIONS for PRIVATE TOUR GUIDE IN YANGON?
- 18 Questions -> Ko Phi Phi - 4 nights
- 19 A Day Trip To Kanchipuram
- 20 recommendations for tour company for private myanmar tour
- 21 Kathie's Burma Bookshelf
- 22 Considering extending my trip! Please help me figure this out
- 23 Indian Visa
- 24 First time trip to Japan - Fall 2013
- 25 Andaman coast visit - is Phuket worth visiting?