I've been reading about Thailand (forums, books, tour companies) and I must admit it's a bit like drinking from a firehose. I'm rather overwhelmed with all the information. Initially, I was set on this tour: http://www.gate1travel.com/southeast-asia/thailand-tours-13dclathtu14.aspx but with single supplement, it's almost double. Still affordable overall, but why pay double to be solo? The more I read, the more I want to see, but time and money are restricting my wanderlust. So I'm hoping you good people can help me out a little (or a lot).
I have roughly 2 weeks (14 days, but can probably spend a couple more, depending on how things go) and I'd like to spend some of those days on a beach. I am planning to travel in November of this year (or later, but depends on pricing).
Looking at that link above, many of the activities and optional excursions appeal to me (but not the elephants). The thing I don't like about it the location of the hotels. I do like the tour guide and how things are organized and pre-planned, and having a guide explain how Thailand "works". I kinda know how Europe "works" so I know what to expect when going there, and started off with guided tours to several countries.
I'm seriously considering doing something like this on my own, but don't want to shlep luggage and depend on "public" transportation.
I guess, to start, here are some things about me: traveling solo, female, mid-30s, not a partier, LOVE photography (photography tours are waaaaay too expensive), architecture, cultural activities, and somewhat of a foodie (but can't handle spicy food or pork). I like things a little off the beaten path, but since I'm solo and don't want to drive, not toally off the beaten path. Oh, I've traveled some in Europe (Portugal, Spain, England, Scotland, Prague, VIenna, Budapest), and it took me about 5 years of ever-increasing solo days around an organized tour to do a completely solo tour.
I'd love to hire a private guide, if possible. I was also thinking of taking a cooking class.
What can you recommend, based on the above? Any help is greatly apprecaited. Sorry if this is a little all over.
Overwhelmed - 1st timer planning a trip to Asia - need help
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Hong Kong for Chinese New Year 2015
- 2 Thailand and where else in December? Sweden, Australia, Asian cruise?
- 3 Top Asian Bariatric Center
- 4 India with 4 kids
- 5 Knockoff Designer bags in Vietnam?
- 6 One night in Bangkok ... Btw 2 airports
- 7 4 wonderful solo weeks in South Korea
- 8 Travel during China national week?
- 9 Destination Bangkok, again
- 10 And there goes the neighborhood........
- 11 Japan--Visiting Saihoji (Moss Temple)
- 12 Trip Report: Java, Bali, Rinca, Borneo, Siem Reap
- 13 Luang Prabang -- budget guesthouse?
- 14 trip to sapa not taking a tour
- 15 Hong Kong in June - Oh The Humidity!!
- 16 Jeep Safari in Bandhavgarh National Park, India
- 17 Shanghai, reasonable hotel near the Bund and public transport
- 18 15 Days in Japan, Itinerary Help Please
- 19 Bhutan, Nepal or both (in about 3 weeks?)
- 20 Bagan Guide Recommendation
- 21 Jakarta or Kuala Lumpor
- 22 Nha Trang Island, Phu Quoc, or Sihanoukville
- 23 Popular Thai hi-so restaurants... Any suggestions?
- 24 Chiang Mai OR Luang Prabang
- 25 Vietnam Visa on Arrival - Help