I am planning a 3 week trip to China in May/June. I have read conflicting opinions on this site about booking lodging in advance. Some say that you are losing hundreds of dollars if you pre-book because everything is negotiated on the spot. However, if there is a particular hotel with a limited number of rooms that we are interested in, is it best to book in advance to ensure you have a room there? I am assuming that answer is yes, but leaving it open for opinion...And I don't have one in mind, but I have seen a few while browsing.
As far as the cities we are visiting, I am specifically referencing Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong. Also, do the larger chains/brand hotels negotiate in China as well, or is the negotiability factor only relevant to mid-size or smaller Chinese-owned hotels?
Booking hotels in China in advance- is it necessary?
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Vietnam Visa on Arrival - recent experience
- 2 In Chiang Mai Thailand
- 3 Top ten historical monuments in India - what is yours?
- 4 Kathie's Machu Picchu trip report is now available
- 5 Ubud - Home Rental Locations?
- 6 visiting Sapa and local markets
- 7 Shoe/sock étiquette for temple viewing
- 8 Hotel or Air First for Japan?
- 9 KTM via nonstop United Business toChengdu vs Asiana Chengdu via Seoul
- 10 Help! Which to choose?
- 11 North Vietnam Again!
- 12 Castle & King
- 13 Crossing Myanmar with own car (Thailand -> India) in Aug or Sep 2014
- 14 Unforgettable visit to Leh-Ladakh, India
- 15 India: Visa on arrival for USA psprt
- 16 One week in Thailand
- 17 Indonesia for 10 days with kids
- 18 6-7 months in SE Asia (majority in Thailand) - visa, weather, meet-up ?s
- 19 India and Nepal 2014
- 20 Independent female traveller
- 21 Tour company practices
- 22 Saigon - Hotel Majestic Xmas Ornament - free
- 23 Thailand Honeymoon - HELP NEEDED!
- 24 The City, the River, the Jungle: Our Holiday in Kuching - Borneo
- 25 Festival tour in Tibet in this season 2015