I am planning a 3 week trip to China in May/June. I have read conflicting opinions on this site about booking lodging in advance. Some say that you are losing hundreds of dollars if you pre-book because everything is negotiated on the spot. However, if there is a particular hotel with a limited number of rooms that we are interested in, is it best to book in advance to ensure you have a room there? I am assuming that answer is yes, but leaving it open for opinion...And I don't have one in mind, but I have seen a few while browsing.
As far as the cities we are visiting, I am specifically referencing Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong. Also, do the larger chains/brand hotels negotiate in China as well, or is the negotiability factor only relevant to mid-size or smaller Chinese-owned hotels?
Booking hotels in China in advance- is it necessary?
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Driver Guide wanted March 2015
- 2 Kerala Itinerary - Houseboat and Tree House Questions
- 3 Connaught Place
- 4 What did you think of Mumbai?
- 5 Free and best app for searching restaurants in China
- 6 narrow down destinations, Japan 2 weeks in April
- 7 Which to see first - Kyoto or Tokyo?
- 8 Burma - Our Mad Dash Across Too Much
- 9 Nepal- recipe?
- 10 vietnam and laos
- 11 A Thailand holiday vacation 9 years in a row!
- 12 5 Days in Siem Reap
- 13 Thai Vacation: Valuable Last Minute Details - Chapter 1
- 14 Elephants in Northern Thailand
- 15 Bangkok: Shangri-La, Penninsula, Mandarin Oriental
- 16 New Hanoi Hotel opening
- 17 3 weeks in Myanmar-What an adventure!
- 18 10 Day Japan Trip - Need Some Help Choosing!
- 19 My SEA trip - photos update
- 20 Air Asia All You Can Fly
- 21 Busan in two weeks January 2015, coping with the cold.
- 22 Which Section of Great Wall? And add visit to Ming Tombs?
- 23 Travel Report for Laos - Asia’s Most Relaxed Destination
- 24 Best country to visit 1st time in Southeast Asia
- 25 Myanmar Itinerary Please Help?!