I am planning a 3 week trip to China in May/June. I have read conflicting opinions on this site about booking lodging in advance. Some say that you are losing hundreds of dollars if you pre-book because everything is negotiated on the spot. However, if there is a particular hotel with a limited number of rooms that we are interested in, is it best to book in advance to ensure you have a room there? I am assuming that answer is yes, but leaving it open for opinion...And I don't have one in mind, but I have seen a few while browsing.
As far as the cities we are visiting, I am specifically referencing Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong. Also, do the larger chains/brand hotels negotiate in China as well, or is the negotiability factor only relevant to mid-size or smaller Chinese-owned hotels?
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Shoes vs boots? Climbing Mt Bat ur in Bali
- 2 Six months in Inchoen / South Korea
- 3 Planning for 1 week in Vietnam
- 4 3 day tours from Bangkok
- 5 Feedback--First Time in Japan, 3 weeks
- 6 6 days itinerary advise - which company to book ?
- 7 Is this crazy?
- 8 In Seoul for one day
- 9 20 Days In Japan: We survived Sakura!
- 10 How to book domestic tickets/hotels in Burma.
- 11 India help with where to go
- 12 6 weeks in Cambodia and Laos with an unplanned itinerary
- 13 Hong Kong / Bangkok / Seoul / Tokyo
- 14 Taxis in Yangon
- 15 Feb 17 Itinenary (Thailand, Myanmar, Cambodia)
- 16 144 Hour Visa Exception China
- 17 Jews in China. Who knew?
- 18 Shanghai Tailor?
- 19 Best of Koh Tao
- 20 Please help with my itinerary for Japan, Part One
- 21 Singapore or Hong Kong
- 22 Studying yoga in India
- 23 Please help with my itinerary for Japan, Part Two (more difficult)
- 24 Chiyoda or Shitaya area stay?
- 25 Visit Mandalay or not?