We are traveling to Japan, June 14th through June 22nd, to visit my husbands hometown, near Shimonoseki. We have made this trip a few times before. This time we are flying in and out of Fukuoka. We are planning to stay in Shimonoseki for the first 3 nights visiting family. We then plan to visit Hiroshima, and stay one night in a ryokan on Miyajima, visiting the shrine and Mt. Misen. Then we will travel on to Himeji to see the castle and eventually back to Shimonoseki or straight on to Fukuoka.
Can anyone recommend places to see or adventures to be had between Fukuoka and Himeji? We would love to try our hands at some local crafts, take a Kendo class or try archery.
We will use the JR rail Pass for the Sanyo line so we have some freedom. On past visits to Japan we have been to Tokyo, Kyoto, Nara, and Osaka. We speak Japanese.
Any ideas or advice would be most appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Bali - What to do?
- 2 Across Uzbekistan with MIR
- 3 The ethics of choosing to visit a repressive country like Myanmar
- 4 New Vietnam eVisa service
- 5 Vietnam with kids/teens
- 6 Sri Lanka advice
- 7 First time in Japan - itinerary feedback
- 8 Ryokan in Japan
- 9 Indonesia (other than Bali!)
- 10 Effects of Labour Day & Buddha's Birthday on HK touring?
- 11 Sri Lanka for 13 nights -need advice
- 12 Googling to going...to Gujarat!
- 13 Itinerary & airport help
- 14 Dinner spots for solo traveller
- 15 [Travel to ThaiLand]
- 16 Train trip costs help please
- 17 Snapshots From Kerala
- 18 Fethiye to Bodrum
- 19 Where to go for 3 days in SEA after business meeting in Singapore?
- 20 Vietnam for 14 days help to find travel company
- 21 help with trip itinerary in April/May
- 22 Visiting Sri Lanka for the First Time
- 23 Awesome trip to Yellow Mountains and Hangzhou in China!
- 24 Bhutan... Have You Been
- 25 Getting Yourself Around Beijing