We are traveling to Japan, June 14th through June 22nd, to visit my husbands hometown, near Shimonoseki. We have made this trip a few times before. This time we are flying in and out of Fukuoka. We are planning to stay in Shimonoseki for the first 3 nights visiting family. We then plan to visit Hiroshima, and stay one night in a ryokan on Miyajima, visiting the shrine and Mt. Misen. Then we will travel on to Himeji to see the castle and eventually back to Shimonoseki or straight on to Fukuoka.
Can anyone recommend places to see or adventures to be had between Fukuoka and Himeji? We would love to try our hands at some local crafts, take a Kendo class or try archery.
We will use the JR rail Pass for the Sanyo line so we have some freedom. On past visits to Japan we have been to Tokyo, Kyoto, Nara, and Osaka. We speak Japanese.
Any ideas or advice would be most appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Japan Itinerary!
- 2 Terracotta Warriors
- 3 Across Uzbekistan with MIR
- 4 Destinations like Ubud or Seminyak in Bali?
- 5 Travel from Busan to Seoul by bus
- 6 Kyoto Temples and Imperial Palace - Travel Report
- 7 trying to fathom Chinese train travel
- 8 Travelling the Silk Road - Trip Report
- 9 hiking japan sept
- 10 Cooking class/Food Tour/Fish market tour
- 11 Japan rough itinerary
- 12 Bangkok- Sky Bars
- 13 2 weeks in Asia with my adult kids Xmas
- 14 Please recommend a hotel in Mumbai
- 15 Japan Itinerary Help Needed
- 16 Bangkok- Dinner Cruises
- 17 shanghai for 4 days
- 18 Budget Servied Apt
- 19 7 hour layover in Beijing
- 20 Trip Report: Second Time to Japan - Sakura, Gardens and Castles
- 21 TRIP REPORT: Just back from first time to Japan!
- 22 Himeji Castle - luggage storage
- 23 What areas to stay in Singapore & Bali
- 24 Opinions on Osaka? And other burning questions...
- 25 Something about... Malaysia