Reload this Page >

2 adults, 2 teenage boys with Sanyo passes

Old May 16th, 2012, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

We are traveling to Japan, June 14th through June 22nd, to visit my husbands hometown, near Shimonoseki. We have made this trip a few times before. This time we are flying in and out of Fukuoka. We are planning to stay in Shimonoseki for the first 3 nights visiting family. We then plan to visit Hiroshima, and stay one night in a ryokan on Miyajima, visiting the shrine and Mt. Misen. Then we will travel on to Himeji to see the castle and eventually back to Shimonoseki or straight on to Fukuoka.

Can anyone recommend places to see or adventures to be had between Fukuoka and Himeji? We would love to try our hands at some local crafts, take a Kendo class or try archery.

We will use the JR rail Pass for the Sanyo line so we have some freedom. On past visits to Japan we have been to Tokyo, Kyoto, Nara, and Osaka. We speak Japanese.

Any ideas or advice would be most appreciated.
Old May 16th, 2012, 07:07 PM

fyi, the torii gate of the Itsukushima Shrine is covered with scaffolding through June 18th so I hope you can visit after that
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3401.html
- and also Himeji Castle is under construction for the long term....http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3501.html
Old May 17th, 2012, 04:44 AM
Original Poster

Yes. I know. I am hoping that the Torii gate in Miyajima will be uncovered by then. As for the Himeji Castle, folks seem to say it is still worth the visit.

Has anyone been to the castle recently? Thoughts? Kokura Castle as an alternative?

Thanks.
Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 08:26 AM

We have not made it yet to Kokura-jo though we plan to one day.

We have been very fortunate to see the White Heron dazzling in the sunlight at peak cherry blossom season.....I will never forget that sight. Here is a recent April report with pictures and a report on the progress of the reconstruction at Himeji-jo:

http://www.japan-guide.com/blog/scha...14_himeji.html

As an alternative we really enjoyed Hikone-jo and it's adjacent museum with the recreated village. Hikone-jo is also an original wooden castle not destroyed by wars and WW II bombs. Hikone Castle's three storied castle keep is relatively small but displays a unique design that combines multiple different architecture styles. This is one reason why the castle has been designated a national treasure, the highest designation for cultural properties in Japan, held by only three other castles, Himeji-jo, Matsumoto-jo and Inuyama-jo. I have yet to get to Inuyama-jo.

There is of course Osaka-jo which is very impressive with its lovely gardens and gold carp shining in the sunlight.

Have you asked your husbands family about the Kendo classes and archery? Local knowledge would be key with those subjects I would think. Sounds like a lovely vacation......gambate kudasai!

Aloha!
Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Hawaiian Traveler,

We will not make east enough to go to Hikone. Someday I hope to go to central Honshu.

I appreciate your link to the restoration progress on Himeji-jo. It is a rare opportunity to see the restoration done using traditional building methods. Also while we are in Himeji we will visit Engyo-ji Temple on Mt. Shozan.

Have you been to Mt. Misen or Mt Shozan?

After we leave Himeji we will go to Naoshima for a day to see the "Art Island".

Yes. Our Japanese family is on the hunt for Kendo and Kyudo experiences for the boys while we are in Shimonoseki. I think there is a university there and perhaps someone would be willing to share that sport with us.

After Japan we will be traveling to Hawaii, Pearl City, and stay with our Aunt for a few days. Maybe we will see you in Shirokiya at Alamoana or perhaps Don Quixote.

I really enjoy reading your posts here.

Thanks
Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 08:38 PM

You should visit Okayama castle and Korakuen. You will probably be traveling thru Okayama station. You could also visit Kurashiki, but if only one of the two then Okayama would be my suggestion.
Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 07:18 AM

Anata ha yasashii hito desu. Arigatou goizaimasu!

We have only been to Mt Misen on the day we had an over night on Miyajima. I have a knee problem that had us utilizing the ropeway but there is a bit of walking even when using the ropeway especially at the end if you want to go all the way to the summit and see the Misen Hondo and Reikado. We were treated to a spectacular view of the Seto Inland Sea and it was so clear that day that we had distant views of Shikoku and smaller islands in the SIS. There are lots of monkeys and a few deer here and there along the trails so be on the lookout especially for the monkeys. Do not look the monkeys in the eyes and hang on to your bags(purses) as we did see one(a purse) snatched by a monkey and taken far off into the brush with a screaming Japanese tourist trying in vain to follow. They are attracted to shiny objects so bags with shiny things on them may get snatched. There are signs everywhere warning you of the dangers.....

There is a bus stop to Mr Shozan at the exit of Himeji-jo IIRC that we had planned to take our last trip there but as we were exiting the castle the rains started and didn't let up so we took a taxi back to the JR station and continued on with our day trip at the time leaving Shoshazan for another time. I love your idea of watching the restoration process of Himeji-jo and you are correct that to view this process would give an insight as to how the original castle was built. I will make it a point to visit sometime in the near future for this reason and to try again to see Shoshazan.

Our ferry from Hiroshima to Matsuyama stopped off at Naoshima iirc and I remember how beautiful the point of the island where the art museum is located looked as we passed by.

Shirokiya at Ala Moana has very recently renovated part of its upstairs 2nd floor to resemble a mini Dotombori restaurant district of Osaka with different stalls serving ramen, udon, sushi,sukiyaki, shabu shabu, and all the other Japanese favorites. Tell Aunty to take you guys there for lunch one Sunday afternoon and you may see Mr & Mrs HT at a ramen stall, lol. Enjoy your trip!!

Aloha!
Old Jun 4th, 2012, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Everyone.

We will be traveling through Okayama so a stop is a great idea.

I will watch out for purse snatching monkeys!

Ozuki
Old Jun 4th, 2012, 07:24 PM

Come down from the train platform and turn left after the gate to go out of the main entrance of Okayama station. Bear left, cross the street, then you should see the street car line on the right. Take the cute little street car for a few blocks and then walk to the castle. After the castle, take the walking bridge to Korakuen. Walk around the gardens and exit at the far end. Taxi from there back to Okayama station.

That is, I am suggesting the reverse of the route suggested on the map on page 2 of this:
http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/location/rtg/pdf/pg-602.pdf

The taxi back to the station would be from point B on the map.
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 09:46 AM

Yoi ryoko o!