Claiming an one-way IAH-HKG reward using CO miles. Lots of choices - CO via EWR, UA via SFO/ORD, LH via FRA, but also CO via GUM around this time of the year. I don't easily give up a chance to fly a new airline, a new route, or visit a new airport. Never flown LH, never been to FRA, but long flights and Y on LH's 744 put me off, though 8 hours at FRA sounds interesting for a side trip to towns nearby.
But I had really wanted to do the GUM flights for a while, so I picked this routing. New airport and last chance to fly CO on HNL-GUM before that flight turns over to UA at the end of Oct 11.
Distance and Flight Time
Guam is really a long detour for many East and NE Asia destinations, as it is pretty far south. From Houston westbound to Hong Kong in summer, the shortest combined flight time is just under 18 hours - IAH-YVR 4:45 plus NRT-HKG 13:05. In contrast, IAH-HNL is 8:20, HNL-GUM is 7:45 and GUM-HKG 4:45, for a total of almost 21 hours.
But this will answer one question often asked on this page. That is, whether it is better to break up long flights into shorter ones, even if overall time is longer.
In terms of distance, IAH-YVR-HKG is basically the great-circle route of about 8,400mi, while IAH-HNL-GUM-HKG is over 9,800mi:
Recent ActivityView all Air Travel activity »
- 1 Best ideas to pack in your carry on?
- 2 Zurich Airport
- 3 Do I have to change terminals in Zurich?
- 4 Around the World Fare on OneWorld?
- 5 Flying "Backwards"
- 6 Kansas City to Bonaire
- 7 KLM is unfair to vegetarians!
- 8 Stopvers Using UA Miles
- 9 Any experience with #Mobile Passport?
- 10 Confused on Seeing AA Upgrades
- 11 Madrid airport transfer from T4S to T1:Avianca to Egypt Air
- 12 Sleeping pills for long haul flights
- 13 Airline Benefits: How does PTO work?
- 14 What Would You Do re Connection Time
- 15 depart to london the earliest in the morning
- 16 American vs United
- 17 Flying on AA into Sicily
- 18 Anyone used webjet.com?
- 19 Your experience with Interjet
- 20 Changing name on return Delta ticket
- 21 American Airlines....thank you!
- 22 Ryanair targets families
- 23 Instant Cold Compress and TSA
- 24 If the UK has exited the EU by next summer....
- 25 Can I make a connection in Reykjavik, KEF with just a 50 minute layover?
rkkwan's CO flight report IAH-HNL-GUM-HKG