Claiming an one-way IAH-HKG reward using CO miles. Lots of choices - CO via EWR, UA via SFO/ORD, LH via FRA, but also CO via GUM around this time of the year. I don't easily give up a chance to fly a new airline, a new route, or visit a new airport. Never flown LH, never been to FRA, but long flights and Y on LH's 744 put me off, though 8 hours at FRA sounds interesting for a side trip to towns nearby.
But I had really wanted to do the GUM flights for a while, so I picked this routing. New airport and last chance to fly CO on HNL-GUM before that flight turns over to UA at the end of Oct 11.
Distance and Flight Time
Guam is really a long detour for many East and NE Asia destinations, as it is pretty far south. From Houston westbound to Hong Kong in summer, the shortest combined flight time is just under 18 hours - IAH-YVR 4:45 plus NRT-HKG 13:05. In contrast, IAH-HNL is 8:20, HNL-GUM is 7:45 and GUM-HKG 4:45, for a total of almost 21 hours.
But this will answer one question often asked on this page. That is, whether it is better to break up long flights into shorter ones, even if overall time is longer.
In terms of distance, IAH-YVR-HKG is basically the great-circle route of about 8,400mi, while IAH-HNL-GUM-HKG is over 9,800mi:
rkkwan's CO flight report IAH-HNL-GUM-HKG
Recent ActivityView all Air Travel activity »
- 1 Departure City Searches
- 2 Don't fly UNITED Airlines...they are pirates
- 3 International flight to domestic connection at Atlanta Airport
- 4 Layover Time
- 5 UNITED Airlines does not recognize Star Alliance Gold Status Benefits
- 6 Help: Transit through Frankfurt on way to Turkey (from US)
- 7 Delta in Amsterdam
- 8 MAKING CONNECTION CDG - 3 HOURS
- 9 United Airlines
- 10 Best Time to Buy II: The Domestic Question
- 11 Beware of Bravofly
- 12 AA FF Miles to Europe and Asia
- 13 Turkish Airlines in the UK
- 14 Recent experience with TSA pre-check
- 15 Has anyone had experience with Iflybusiness.com?
- 16 airlines drop fares on tues or wed.
- 17 Baggage and two separate tickets
- 18 When to buy tickets
- 19 Business class discounted brokers. Fly with class.com
- 20 Toronto Airport - Sheraton Gateway Hotel for a long layover?
- 21 TSA hand wipe
- 22 Delta question?
- 23 Layover in London
- 24 AAdvantage DevAAluation
- 25 Transit in Dubai Airport Terminal 3