Claiming an one-way IAH-HKG reward using CO miles. Lots of choices - CO via EWR, UA via SFO/ORD, LH via FRA, but also CO via GUM around this time of the year. I don't easily give up a chance to fly a new airline, a new route, or visit a new airport. Never flown LH, never been to FRA, but long flights and Y on LH's 744 put me off, though 8 hours at FRA sounds interesting for a side trip to towns nearby.
But I had really wanted to do the GUM flights for a while, so I picked this routing. New airport and last chance to fly CO on HNL-GUM before that flight turns over to UA at the end of Oct 11.
Distance and Flight Time
Guam is really a long detour for many East and NE Asia destinations, as it is pretty far south. From Houston westbound to Hong Kong in summer, the shortest combined flight time is just under 18 hours - IAH-YVR 4:45 plus NRT-HKG 13:05. In contrast, IAH-HNL is 8:20, HNL-GUM is 7:45 and GUM-HKG 4:45, for a total of almost 21 hours.
But this will answer one question often asked on this page. That is, whether it is better to break up long flights into shorter ones, even if overall time is longer.
In terms of distance, IAH-YVR-HKG is basically the great-circle route of about 8,400mi, while IAH-HNL-GUM-HKG is over 9,800mi:
rkkwan's CO flight report IAH-HNL-GUM-HKG
Recent ActivityView all Air Travel activity »
- 1 Etihad is an anagram of 'I hated...'
- 2 Mobile Board Passes--
- 3 Sleeping pills for long haul flights
- 4 Business Class Summer Sales
- 5 Choices for Air - AF, KLM via Europe OR SAA via JNB to HARARE, Zim
- 6 AA or BA to OSL
- 7 Best Airline for Trip to Istanbul
- 8 What to pack in your "personal item" for an overseas flight
- 9 Visas and flight diversions
- 10 Singapore Airlines vs Emirates
- 11 Half Empty Airliner
- 12 Non Refundable Tickets
- 13 Scarcity of award travel in July on United Airlines
- 14 A Entire Area Blocked Off?
- 15 AA and USair
- 16 Multi-city pricing and strategy
- 17 Ailine security- a strange question
- 18 Paris-London-Dublin
- 19 Orbitz or Cheaptickets or Priceline via Kayak?
- 20 Should I purchase now?
- 21 Flight not always appearing on United website
- 22 Curious...ORD to NAN
- 23 Not showing up for a connecting flight - to tell or not to tell?
- 24 Duty Free Liquor
- 25 United to enforce carry-on size limits