Claiming an one-way IAH-HKG reward using CO miles. Lots of choices - CO via EWR, UA via SFO/ORD, LH via FRA, but also CO via GUM around this time of the year. I don't easily give up a chance to fly a new airline, a new route, or visit a new airport. Never flown LH, never been to FRA, but long flights and Y on LH's 744 put me off, though 8 hours at FRA sounds interesting for a side trip to towns nearby.
But I had really wanted to do the GUM flights for a while, so I picked this routing. New airport and last chance to fly CO on HNL-GUM before that flight turns over to UA at the end of Oct 11.
Distance and Flight Time
Guam is really a long detour for many East and NE Asia destinations, as it is pretty far south. From Houston westbound to Hong Kong in summer, the shortest combined flight time is just under 18 hours - IAH-YVR 4:45 plus NRT-HKG 13:05. In contrast, IAH-HNL is 8:20, HNL-GUM is 7:45 and GUM-HKG 4:45, for a total of almost 21 hours.
But this will answer one question often asked on this page. That is, whether it is better to break up long flights into shorter ones, even if overall time is longer.
In terms of distance, IAH-YVR-HKG is basically the great-circle route of about 8,400mi, while IAH-HNL-GUM-HKG is over 9,800mi:
rkkwan's CO flight report IAH-HNL-GUM-HKG
Recent ActivityView all Air Travel activity »
- 1 The life of lost luggage
- 2 Austrian Air Budapest Vienna Vienna Dubrovnik
- 3 International Connecting Flights
- 4 Open Skies, La Compagnie, and XL Airways
- 5 Which terminal at newark?
- 6 Booked on United with codes share to Europe/No seat reservation allowed
- 7 Getting bumped from Premium Economy on Delta/KLM
- 8 French Riv to Marbella : sky-tours
- 9 New Orleans to Beijing
- 10 USAir/AA - December flight
- 11 Coach on United 767-400
- 12 Help me choose a flight - connection times in Paris
- 13 When to book?
- 14 NYC to Hawaii...best way to go?
- 15 I have never flown Ryanair
- 16 KLM - I think not!
- 17 Downside to Orbitz?
- 18 US customs pre clearance
- 19 Lie flat Business Class seats SYD - HKG
- 20 Beware of Bravofly
- 21 Air Travel - Iceland - London - Ireland (What lag time to take in between?)
- 22 Layover quetsion Dubai and Frankfurt
- 23 Review of Air France Premium Economy
- 24 Asiana. Biz seats
- 25 luggage lockers in Dubai