Claiming an one-way IAH-HKG reward using CO miles. Lots of choices - CO via EWR, UA via SFO/ORD, LH via FRA, but also CO via GUM around this time of the year. I don't easily give up a chance to fly a new airline, a new route, or visit a new airport. Never flown LH, never been to FRA, but long flights and Y on LH's 744 put me off, though 8 hours at FRA sounds interesting for a side trip to towns nearby.
But I had really wanted to do the GUM flights for a while, so I picked this routing. New airport and last chance to fly CO on HNL-GUM before that flight turns over to UA at the end of Oct 11.
Distance and Flight Time
Guam is really a long detour for many East and NE Asia destinations, as it is pretty far south. From Houston westbound to Hong Kong in summer, the shortest combined flight time is just under 18 hours - IAH-YVR 4:45 plus NRT-HKG 13:05. In contrast, IAH-HNL is 8:20, HNL-GUM is 7:45 and GUM-HKG 4:45, for a total of almost 21 hours.
But this will answer one question often asked on this page. That is, whether it is better to break up long flights into shorter ones, even if overall time is longer.
In terms of distance, IAH-YVR-HKG is basically the great-circle route of about 8,400mi, while IAH-HNL-GUM-HKG is over 9,800mi:
Recent ActivityView all Air Travel activity »
- 1 Premium Economy Virgin Atlantic
- 2 Flying through Istanbul onto Montenego-Safety?
- 3 Traveling to Spain in March
- 4 Help with Seats on KLM Flight
- 5 Google Flights ?
- 6 LAX Domestic to Int'l Connx
- 7 Norwegian Air - What's the catch?
- 8 FLL Navigating Fort Lauderdale airport
- 9 Logging into my Aadvantage account
- 10 Does a OneWorld Explorer ticket make sense?
- 11 Flying "Backwards"
- 12 Europe (Lisbon) to Miami: Iberia or Lufthansa in terms of cabin comfort?
- 13 Asking for a sandwich in lieu of a hot meal
- 14 Reclining Seats in BA Premium Econ?
- 15 UA New (?) Economy Class Fare
- 16 Delta and Virgin
- 17 Cancellation of Thai Airway return trip ticket
- 18 Newark connection
- 19 connection in jfk for only 90 minutes
- 20 Which airline for Paris/Nice?
- 21 Ticket spelling error with Orbitz
- 22 Cooperating with Airport Security
- 23 SMF to NCE or CDG
- 24 Book inter-Europe as part of open-jaw?
- 25 Around the World Fare on OneWorld?
rkkwan's CO flight report IAH-HNL-GUM-HKG